Seton Hall Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are right, the problems did not start this year. That's why I went back to her freshman year when she had solid basketball players surrounding her running the same offense then as they do now. Scoring points does not mean running the offense. Not sure what you're seeing from Paige or anybody else when it comes to running the offense this year but our offense hasn't been in sync all year. Paige is on the court during those slow starts. ?‍♀️ That isn't a slight it's just what it is from a freshman PG/SG. Happy for Paige, Evina and Nika getting to the basket. I bet they, along with CW, would get there more often if the lane wasn't so clogged. I see a Tiff Hayes season for CW. Remember she used to have up and down games in a Husky Uniform too.

So you are saying it is Paige's fault that Christyn can't hit an open shot and looks like she's on another planet?

The players surrounding Christyn aren't strong enough?

Paige is partly to blame for slow starts huh?

Do we need Paige to change their diapers too?

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
#4) AEH sends a message to GENO - Message Sent and Received [AEH scored 15, played OUTSTANDING defense on CW, and while SHU lost, she proved that she isn't the un-coachable player he said she was]
Well, Griff that is one point of view...here is another: Espinosa played all 40 minutes. UConn limited her to 15 shots and held her to 6 points below her average. Christyn only took 6 shots...maybe Espinosa had something to do with that...maybe not. More than likely either Christyn is in a funk and needs a boost to her confidence or she is injured and UConn is keeping it out of the public conversation. Since Christyn only played 25 minutes it is fair to say that Aubrey Griffin took the remainder of her minutes (23 min). Interestingly, Espinosa did not fair so well...6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block.

I think the greater message was: Seton Hall was held to 30 points below their Average; Espinosa their star was held to 6 points below hers. Geno and UConn is ranked number one in the country and Seton Hall despite winning its last 6 games is still unranked.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So you are saying it is Paige's fault that Christyn can't hit an open shot and looks like she's on another planet?

Please.
That's kind of ironic (silly really) because last year when CW began to struggle many posters pointed to Megan Walker as the problem and then Crystal. We seriously need to stop this...
turn around doctor GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

Reaction Score
Christyn had a couple really good games back to back not long ago where she was aggressive, got to the rim and finished and was involved and made things happen. Then for no reason, she seemingly reverts back to standing around, contributing nothing and then misses a few shots and her confidence goes out the window. Surely she can see that when she attacks the rim and moves without the ball she has much better games but then she just decides to not do that sometimes?

Reaction Score
Very good thinking and analysis .. now, if we can just get Saylor some more minutes to see what we got...
Thanks for the analysis by individual player. Each has a solid role to play to fill up the puzzle. Liv has done a lot of good picks and passes lately even though her shot from outside is struggling. Why not switch with Edwards or even have Liv step back one full step to make her shot a 3 pointer. Both Liv and Edwards or Griffin need to be on the court when this is happening. Liv needs to hit a few outside to impact games early and open up the inside for drives which is our bread and butter.

We never challenged for offensive rebounds during the first half of the SH game. We also should have gone at Boston a lot more to draw fouls on her early in the SC game, not give up when she hung out down low. If we could have made a few early top of the key shots, that game would have been settled early in our favor. We actually ran good scoring plays in much of the second half. SC plays were limited to getting the ball to Boston inside. Not much else.

We need to take care of the ball better and not run down the clock to seven seconds before shooting a desperation shot. The opponent always knows the clock is running down but other than a couple of our players, we don't have a clock sense yet. Help in playing and finding a better pace of play would result in our controlling the games. All future practices should be on the clock and also whistles for walking, picks and other such turnovers. Lets cut turnovers in half!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn had a couple really good games back to back not long ago where she was aggressive, got to the rim and finished and was involved and made things happen. Then for no reason, she seemingly reverts back to standing around, contributing nothing and then misses a few shots and her confidence goes out the window. Surely she can see that when she attacks the rim and moves without the ball she has much better games but then she just decides to not do that sometimes?
I wouldn't say for "no reason". She was injured and missed the St John game. The St. John's Game was also where Nika played really really well for the first time. An injury and having your replacement shine are reasons. The latter is not a very good reason and I'm reserving judgement on the former for now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No I disagree [you knew I would] but Liv at the high post is the key to our vastly improved ball movement since the TN game .. most importantly, she sets most of the screens at the high post for Paige's pull-up jumper and step back three .. of equal importance, Liv makes excellent passes from the high post to the back=door cutters .. our shooters get LOTS of wide-open shots off the high-post offense; they just need to make them .. it's not Liv's fault that Evina and CW rated a D+ for the SC game, and CW continued her dreadful play vs Seton Hall.
We need a new starting line-up sans CW, eh?
Hello again. We can do everything we are doing now in addition to the things I've mentioned without Liv camped top of the key beyond the 3-point line with a defender 8 feet off her thus clogging the middle. It's awful. Paige gets screens from basically everyone. I've described how pick and rolls can work without Liv being on top. Player on the wing screens ball on top, player on top screens ball on the wing, posts can come up and screen all positions, and players can always screen away creating a cut toward the ball. Players have to keep floor balanced. You have to have that painted area free for driving and cutting. Right now it is clogged like the GW bridge at rush hour. Help! Call Chris Christie. Help!

Reaction Score
Ummm who would start before her from Seton Hall?????
First of all AEH who is a deadly 3-point shooter, Park-Lane, Mia Jackson, Lattimore, i.e. anybody who can make a shot...

Reaction Score
Ummm who would start before her from Seton Hall?????

It will be very interesting at the end of the season when the 1st and 2nd Team Big East Awards are handed out, to see what UCONN Players make the 1st Team (Paige is a lock, and I think Olivia is as well), and who from UCONN makes the 2nd Team (Evina and maybe CW ? ) vs. who from Seton Hall makes the 1st Team (maybe AEH, with how well she is playing) and who from Seton Hall makes the 2nd team (Mya Jackson or maybe Lauren Park-Lane)? - Thus would the Conference believe that if this proves out, that AEH is better than CW?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be very interesting at the end of the season when the 1st and 2nd Team Big East Awards are handed out, to see what UCONN Players make the 1st Team (Paige is a lock, and I think Olivia is as well), and who from UCONN makes the 2nd Team (CW) vs. who from Seton Hall makes the 1st Team (maybe AEH, with how well she is playing) and who from Seton Hall makes the 2nd team (Mya Jackson or maybe Lauren Park-Lane)? - Thus would the Conference believe that if this proves out, that AEH is better than CW?
Evina?

Reaction Score
The Good:

1. Bounce back game from ONO
2. Great game from EW
3. Another "Spark Plug" game from Aubrey Griffin
4. Terrific game off the bench from AE
5. Steady Game again from Paige

The Bad:

1. CW looks lost out there and maybe needs to come off the bench to send her a message
2. Nika did not have an exceptionally strong game tonight
3. UCONN has to stop with these slow starts to games.
and "The Ugly"??

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Muhl in there, enough already with Christyn Williams, no more excuses .. besides they play different positions .. I'd like to try Saylor out, for her 3-point shooting, rebounding and [supposed] defense .. there's plenty of time before the tourney in March and something is better than nothing, eh?
we were so dissapointed .CW is the player who had the skill and capable to do it better
but dont know why she perfom go downside always ,she really need help from staff

and i agreed may be have few more games give mir and saylor a chance to play 15 minute+/-
see what they can do , may be will get surprise

Reaction Score
Evina?
It will be very interesting at the end of the season when the 1st and 2nd Team Big East Awards are handed out, to see what UCONN Players make the 1st Team (Paige is a lock, and I think Olivia is as well), and who from UCONN makes the 2nd Team (Evina and maybe CW ? ) vs. who from Seton Hall makes the 1st Team (maybe AEH, with how well she is playing) and who from Seton Hall makes the 2nd team (Mya Jackson or maybe Lauren Park-Lane)? - Thus would the Conference believe that if this proves out, that AEH is better than CW?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
@CocoHusky I'm only watching these games twice so I guess I'm missing all this rim running you are seeing. Paige has made a couple of circus shots that I wouldn't expect anyone else to be able to hit but other than, packing the paint is the book on playing us right now and we're having trouble with it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First of all AEH who is a deadly 3-point shooter, Park-Lane, Mia Jackson, Lattimore, i.e. anybody who can make a shot...
Deadly? Where exactly has AEH been doing this deadly sniping from deep? She left Mississippi state a 36 % shooter from deep. We won't talk about how she left UCONN. Through 9 games at Seton Hall so far she shooting 43% from deep. That's good but hardly "deadly". I also won't talk about how well she shot at USA basketball because she didn't. You can go ahead and crown her if you want just make sure Steve Harvey is not officiating because she might end up having to give back that crown.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I like Liv in the post with AE low. There's a line between the foul line and the arc that shouldn't get behind. 15-18 feet she can shoot, 20+ not so much.

Reaction Score
I would suggest an edit: "Then ... her confidence goes out the window and she seemingly reverts back to standing around, contributing nothing and then misses a few shots.

Reaction Score
Well, Griff that is one point of view...here is another: Espinosa played all 40 minutes. UConn limited her to 15 shots and held her to 6 points below her average. Christyn only took 6 shots...maybe Espinosa had something to do with that...maybe not. More than likely either Christyn is in a funk and needs a boost to her confidence or she is injured and UConn is keeping it out of the public conversation. Since Christyn only played 25 minutes it is fair to say that Aubrey Griffin took the remainder of her minutes (23 min). Interestingly, Espinosa did not fair so well...6 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block.

I think the greater message was: Seton Hall was held to 30 points below their Average; Espinosa their star was held to 6 points below hers. Geno and UConn is ranked number one in the country and Seton Hall despite winning its last 6 games is still unranked.
At the moment, I think I may have a good shot at guarding CW. I probably need a shot blocker behind me to back me up however. Oh, I will need a TV timeout ever other minute....

Reaction Score
The wife and I were discussing this point during the game. We believe this is a big part of CW's problems.

For too many of us, CW's first game in a UConn uniform gave us a unrealistic picture of her skills. Last year was indicative of her game. She is a streak shooter. Her best move is the drive to the bucket. Her next best move is the short pull up jumper. She is not a 3 point shooter.

Now can she be a valued contributor for the rest of the season, I hope so. She has to get right with herself. Time will tell.
All good points. I think we also set incredible expectations for recruits who arrive as the HS POY. Some, like Brianna, Paige, MKL, and Katie ( were Sue Bird and Diana in that category....how could they not be ?), shine "early and often." Williams and Megan Walker didn't really do that. Williams had " the Notre game " game debut, and a few other fine performances....but neither regularly took over a game and won it for UCONN ( not a " big " game, anyway ). So our expectations are deflated whenever a player with a HS POY resume is simply a really good player. And others, like Ionescu at Oregon or Wilson at SC add fuel to that flame. The issue now is, how does Williams return to being a solid and reliable contributor? I think there is only one way; play her and treat her with the respect she has earned.

Reaction Score
CW is NOT a good 3-pt shooter, so not sure thats going to help her get out of a slump. Her form is just not great, she always seems off-balance when shooting from the outside. Instead of sitting on the perimeter, she needs to be "slashing" to the basket. That's her strength - driving to the hoop on set plays or on fast breaks. She's seems very lost if the middle is clogged & she cant get open lanes to the hoop - see last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom