Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall post-game thread [merged thread]]

Reaction Score
With the exception of Aziz & Dorka, this is the same team from last season. Presently, that is where the comparison ends. This team looks nothing like last season's version. As Geno and others have mentioned, UConn would be an average team without Paige. Her superiority on the court screams out.

Currently, there is a wide gap between UConn and South Carolina. SC looks more cohesive and fluid, while UConn simply looks out of sorts. Hopefully, a quick succession of games will help iron out the kinks, but help from the bench looks to be AWOL in the near term.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
*other than the missed layups, the poor shooting didn't bother me. It happens sometimes.
*I wish Geno would have sat CW longer after her tiny bit of dramatics after being taken out. She shot a fall away wide open in close shot. No excuse from a senior. She did it again later.
*I feel sorry for Caroline because she must be killing it in practice to get on the floor that early. She will figure it out. Too good not to.
*Dorka came to UConn with no defensive skills, especially help defense. I was glad to hear Geno say nice things about her afterward. She is trying really hard to do what Geno wants but none of it is natural. She had total freedom at OSU.
*Based on Geno's comments earlier in the week, I wonder if NIL is effecting the team in the locker room.
*Paige, despite her NIL stuff, is filling up the stat sheet. Did not think it would evolve into a one person team. But it is getting there.
*Like many others have noted, this team has a different feel to it. Have no idea what I am seeing but I could be imagining things.
*Sunday will be fun.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am really hopeful that UConn's first game back at Gampel in two years on Sunday, in front of a full house, against the Irish, will be a cure for whatever is ailing the Huskies right now.
I fear that you are a VERY VERY optimistic man! :D ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Throughout the summer, we all gushed about how deep this team is. Well Geno made it official tonight, we have no depth. :confused: More proof that you can’t believe the some of the hype sold here in the yard.

Reaction Score
In the vernacular of the hood, "somethin' ain't right". This does not look anything like the same team, with the same players, as last year. I know it's early in the season, but save for Paige, they just don't look good. Yeah, a 20+ win at a tough court with a tough crowd - but too many things not clicking.
Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. I say "unfortunately" because I didn't think they looked very good last year!

When do the Seniors, i.e., Williams, ONO, and Westbrook, start playing like seniors? Take away Williams' 3 during garbage time, and her line is 14 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist. At the moment, there is no one who seems willing and able to be even a reliable #2 option to Bueckers, so unless Fudd returns and starts playing up to expectations, why should we expect to go any further than last year?

Reaction Score
Caroline looks like a "deer in the headlights." In her few 1st half minutes, she dribbled the ball off her foot, committed a silly foul and shot up an airball. :(

Could not have said it any better about Caroline. With a fully healthy team, right now, Caroline might be the 11th or 12th Player on this team.

Reaction Score
If someone other than Paige doesn’t get it going, this team is cooked. Final four streak ends.

Only 5 games, but still very disappointing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes
I fear that you are a VERY VERY optimistic man! :D ;)
That game could turn very ugly for us if we are not careful.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Aziz & Dorka, this is the same team from last season. Presently, that is where the comparison ends. This team looks nothing like last season's version. As Geno and others have mentioned, UConn would be an average team without Paige. Her superiority on the court screams out.

Currently, there is a wide gap between UConn and South Carolina. SC looks more cohesive and fluid, while UConn simply looks out of sorts. Hopefully, a quick succession of games will help iron out the kinks, but help from the bench looks to be AWOL in the near term.
I said this in an earlier thread after the SC game and some self professed geniuses saw fit to make some snide comments. Geno just said it in the post game interview.

If it wasnt for Paige Bueckers, this team wouldn’t even be in the top 5. Bueckers will be worn out by midseason.

The recruits are underwhelming.

Reaction Score
Throughout the summer, we all gushed about how deep this team is. Well Geno made it official tonight, we have no depth. :confused: More proof that you can’t believe the some of the hype sold here in the yard.
We all? And you bought the hype?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but how can we be certain if he generally refuses to play anyone but the starters, and then rarely for more than a few minutes? Sometimes players show little in practice, but suddenly start to light it up in games; if this is true of someone on the bench, Geno's never going to find her.

Reaction Score
I will have to admit - I watched Q1 shaking my head. Is this the performance of a team that had 10 days off and had Geno on them as well as their own distaste in how the last game vs. SC went? I fully expected us to come out like a house on fire, and instead, it was barely smoldering embers. Maybe they were rusty? Not sure what - if the game was early, I'd say that they were still half asleep...

Having said that, Q2 was more what I expected the start of the game to look like. 23-6 smack down. After poor shooting in Q1, at half time our FG% was 50%. Dropped SHU down to 24%. Defense was much better as well.

So I thought "ok here we go. The universe is realigned and we are back on track". Good grief. I was wrong. We outscored SHU by 17 in Q2. We won Q4 by 8. They basically played is even for 26 minutes. Not sure what Geno will think, but SHU lost to Fordham and USC and needed OT to beat Toledo. They "walloped" Lehigh by 10. And did all this with one of their best players who was out for the game tonight. 16 assists on 34 made baskets? That is nothing close to UCONN basketball.

Ultimately we won the game, but it was not fun at all to watch. Without being overlay dramatic, 2 good things came out of the game. Paige is phenomenal, and we won. Other than that a largely forgettable game. NOT what I was expecting after all the bluster and team comments after the SC loss. Finished Q4 strong after Paige got a bloody nose, but just a yuck overall vibe. These guys need to have a fire lit under them, or a bulb to go off, because right now, they look nothing like a team ready to make a NC run.

As usual, Paige was Paige. I may mention this all year, but anyone who left her out of the NPOY discussion in favor of "others" seriously had a screw loose. Did they think she was great by accident last season? That her play all year long was an aberration or luck? I say "Pfft". Need her to score? Check. Need her to play defense? Check. Need her to rebound? Check. Need her to run the offense effectively? Check. Need her to dish out assists? Check. And she's only a sophomore. Good lawd - we are lucky to have her, and be able to watch her for 2+ more years. 23 points, 9 boards, 7 assists, 5 steals, 1 bloody nose.

Liv was Liv. Does some good things, does some head scratching things. I didn't think she was as all around impressive as she was against SC, but I do like what she brings to the floor. I don't see much improvement over last season, but sadly, we have no other options.

Aaliyah - she continues to mystify me. I keep waiting for the Liya who played so well at the end of last season. 4 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 TO's in H1.

Christyn struggled in Q1. Missed some open 3's. Then went back to doing what she does well - slashing, etc.

Evina was quiet. Not sure if something is wrong, but as much as she's a "leader", getting little offense is going to be a problem against better teams.

Caroline - 1st off the bench, and just overwhelmed yet again. Airball, poor defense, 2 fouls in about 5 minutes of play - not a good night for her.

Dorka - some rebounds seem to find their way to her and sometimes she gets after it. Loved seeing her nail the 3. Some have been down on her for taking those shots, but she CAN make them.

Nika - As my friend @MilfordHusky said, "Croatian larceny". Love her aggression, but 2 points on 1-5 shooting and 4 fouls? More fouls than points. Those are negative stats (notwithstanding the normal +/-).

Mir - 0-2 on FT's. If not for that, I would not have noticed she even played.
Is DeBerry on the team?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I will have to admit - I watched Q1 shaking my head. Is this the performance of a team that had 10 days off and had Geno on them as well as their own distaste in how the last game vs. SC went? I fully expected us to come out like a house on fire, and instead, it was barely smoldering embers. Maybe they were rusty? Not sure what - if the game was early, I'd say that they were still half asleep...
Possibly the unmentionable as in they are just not that good ... at the present.

Reaction Score
Well, a win is a win, especially in conference, but lots of work for this team and a lot of areas of concern. Paige continues to be Paige; another great outing from her and her energy was unmatched on both sides of the court.

The team appears to be missing a glue player right now, there's no one, besides Paige, that this team can rely on for a solid rebound, steal, or disruptive play during a game. Paige can't be everything for this team and that's what she was today. I do think Aubrey will help fill this role once she's back and will change the look of the team; she was an important piece last year doing the little things and thats what this team really needs. I expect it will take a little while to work her back into the rotation, but if she plays like she did last year, she'll help this team start to gel a bit more. It wont solve all of UConn's problems having her back, but she should help with some of the little things.

Aaliyah had some good rebounding, but really struggled getting the ball in the paint today with several TOs. Olivia, Christyn, and Evina provided some offense, but also struggled with their energy at times. Dorka grabbed some needed rebounds, but Nika and Caroline really struggled today all around.

Azzi and Aubrey are going to be important parts of the rotation when they're back and will change what this team looks like, but there's a lot of work for everyone else in the coming weeks. There are too many times when this team stands around waiting for Paige to do something and they won't get far with that mindset.

Reaction Score
Observations...

Not bad after extended layoff

• Team identity is the opposite of MEAN GIRLS (can't recall the last time a UCONN team lost so many 50/50 balls.

• The bigs are better getting the ball on the move than posting up. AE (thought she had a steady game tonight) got tossed some daggers and then got charged with the TO. Dorka and AE seem to need prompting for file line screens. Seen this before in read and react offenses.

• Legs look heavy in every game after the third qtr.

• CW just brings her lunch pail and goes to work. Steadier than comments suggest.

• 18% from 3. Good news...can't get much worse.

• The "chemistry" issues are related to "timing" and "familiarity" of whichever 5 players are on the floor. The offense is "choppy" usually when one or two new players are on the floor. The fix? Time. The good news...it's getting better.
  • Someone has to be willing to take some charges on drives. Park Lane is fast but help...is late.
GRADE... B-

Reaction Score
Well South Carolina beat Kansas State 65 - 44, so we are really not to bad.
If Azzi and Aubrey are healthy we will be OK.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
how did everyone feel CW played
She started off poorly missing her first 3 or 4 shots, was benched and recovered rather nicely to make some good drives and finished 8 of 16 for 17 Points. She missed some defensive assignments but overall she was the second best UCONN player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom