Senior Day Celebration | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Senior Day Celebration

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that in the elite seats we see incoming Andra Espinoza-Hunter...here to honor a former teammate...she and Saniya played together
for Ossining High when Saniya was a senior and Andra a 7th grader. I saw Cicero North with one Breanna Stewart crush that team in the state tourney near Albany...Stewie went for 42/24...one of the 3 best high school performances I have seen in person.

Hey...why not bring up the entire Ossining roster to honor Saniya?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Listen folks:

Butler is a total nervous wreck out there. She knows she is not fulfilling expectations and it's messing her up…to put it mildly.

Stamfordhusky, oldude, Huskee11, DEFCONN1 and BigBird can have their say all day long; but, the fact is we all cringe when she gets the ball: will she travel; will she make a wild pass; will she get stripped; will she lose the ball in her feet; .etc. It’s downright painful; AND, anyone that watches UCONN will agree if she stays for another year, she will get walk-on minutes.

For her peace of mind, she should graduate this year and go play immediately somewhere else.

24-3.

What`s that?

Our record without Natalie.

Best case.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Listen folks:

Butler is a total nervous wreck out there. She knows she is not fulfilling expectations and it's messing her up…to put it mildly.

Stamfordhusky, oldude, Huskee11, DEFCONN1 and BigBird can have their say all day long; but, the fact is we all cringe when she gets the ball: will she travel; will she make a wild pass; will she get stripped; will she lose the ball in her feet; .etc. It’s downright painful; AND, anyone that watches UCONN will agree if she stays for another year, she will get walk-on minutes.

For her peace of mind, she should graduate this year and go play immediately somewhere else.
Big Mick, there is certainly an aspect of truth in what you say, but you have no way of knowing how Nat feels or what motivates her. IMO, as well as a number of other posters, your initial comment was a cheap shot.

While I agree that Nat's minutes will likely be reduced next season, she will improve, her athletic scholarship will allow her to pursue a graduate degree at UConn if she chooses, she could well be part of another national championship team, and at 6'5", at a minimum, she will be a great practice player to challenge Z and others, and she will serve as an insurance policy in case someone goes down with an injury or foul trouble.

All in all, not a bad outcome for Nat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yet another thought on Senior Day. This may be the only blowout that Tierney plays in where she gets pulled in the last minute, particularly if she's able to score.

I'm sure Geno wants to give the fans an opportunity to send Tierney off with a rousing ovation and a big Geno bear hug.

Reaction Score
Listen folks:

Actually we don't all "cringe" when she gets the basketball. Your comments about wild passes, will she get stripped, lose the ball in her feet, traveling, etc. when she gets the ball are off the mark. Does she commit the odd turnover, like everyone else does? Yes. If you play basketball you'll make an errant pass, travel. etc. It's part of the game. I, for one, hope she comes back. Another experienced hand is always needed.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Actually we don't all "cringe" when she gets the basketball. Your comments about wild passes, will she get stripped, lose the ball in her feet, traveling, etc. when she gets the ball are off the mark. Does she commit the odd turnover, like everyone else does? Yes. If you play basketball you'll make an errant pass, travel. etc. It's part of the game. I, for one, hope she comes back. Another experienced hand is always needed.

As a longtime season ticket holder.....most folks within hearing of my seats groan at the myriad of ways that the ball seems to escape her grasp.

Reaction Score
Interesting factoid.... from ESPN.

" The class of freshmen who arrived on campuses around the country prior to the 2013-14 season has struggled to make its mark. Six of the top eight recruits in that year's ESPN HoopGurlz top 100 have transferred. Because Connecticut's recruiting class at the time consisted of just one player, Saniya Chong is the lone member of a nationwide class of more than a thousand to win a national championship."

Seniors Wendell, Ingle making lasting impact at Drake

Reaction Score
Unless Big Mick happens to be Natalie's shrink, he has no clue what she thinks or feels. And regardless of the accuracy of his description of her play, his original post and his follow-up show a total lack of class. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

" The class of freshmen who arrived on campuses around the country prior to the 2013-14 season has struggled to make its mark. Six of the top eight recruits in that year's ESPN HoopGurlz top 100 have transferred. Because Connecticut's recruiting class at the time consisted of just one player, Saniya Chong is the lone member of a nationwide class of more than a thousand to win a national championship."

The article is not technically correct. Nat was a legitimate D1 scholarship recruit in that class and has won a national championship. Tierney has won 3, although I would grant a pass on Tierney since she wasn't a D1 scholarship recruit.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
When i saw the topic Senior Day Celebration I thought it was about us folks over 60 getting together.
upload_2017-2-24_17-12-10.png

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Listen folks:

You're just being an old poop.:(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Interesting fact indeed but I suspect most that follow UCONN basketball knew of this before seeing it in print.
Another interesting, perhaps more impressive, fact is that there are only 4 active players Kaylee Johnson, Briana Roberson, Erica McCall, & Karlie Samuelson in all Division 1 basketball that have played in a game in which UCONN was defeated.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
SNY will telecast the senior-day ceremonies in its pregame show at 4 p.m. Can't wait. Celebrating the seniors at the end of their playing careers is always very emotional.

Going to be tough to see. The Mets ST game is is the bottom of the 9th with NO outs and it's 4:12 PM !!!!!

Reaction Score
Interesting fact indeed but I suspect most that follow UCONN basketball knew of this before seeing it in print.
Another interesting, perhaps more impressive, fact is that there are only 4 active players Kaylee Johnson, Briana Roberson, Erica McCall, & Karlie Samuelson in all Division 1 basketball that have played in a game in which UCONN was defeated.
Problem is the factoid is not correct. Natalie Butler was in the same recruiting class, and she too has a National Championship.

Reaction Score
One of the problems Nat has is that she plays the same position as Gabby and Phee. Those are two players who have been discussed as AA's and are among the best athletes in UCONN's history. That is a very tough comparison. If you look at Nats numbers...reb per 40 min, fg %, blocks, and assists they are actually pretty good . Other than turnovers, which she has had about 1.4 per game and that is only so bad, there's not much to complain about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AEH.jpg
I'm hoping that in the elite seats we see incoming Andra Espinoza-Hunter...here to honor a former teammate...she and Saniya played together
for Ossining High when Saniya was a senior and Andra a 7th grader.
Hey...why not bring up the entire Ossining roster to honor Saniya?
I was not at the game, but that looks like AEH a couple of rows behind UCONN's bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. Nat does lose the ball at times, but she provides valuable minutes, Tonight's game proved the point. At least one blocked shot, numerous rebounds, something like 9 or 10 points,. I'll take that any day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. Nat does lose the ball at times, but she provides valuable minutes, Tonight's game proved the point. At least one blocked shot, numerous rebounds, something like 9 or 10 points,. I'll take that any day.
Is it me or isn't she doing much better rebounding with two hands and keeping the ball up high lately? Keep up the good work!

Reaction Score
Listen folks:

I think you're deminishing Nat's contribution to the team unless you're suggesting we would still be undefeated if she wasn't wearing a UConn jersey?

After she fumbles and catches the ball, how is her passing from the top of the key, or her long outlet passes or her 10 foot jump shot? How about her defense against other bigs i.e. Baylor and Texas? Although you may disagree, I think she adds value to the team.

Reaction Score
As to any non-starter at UConn who sticks it out, who pushes themselves through grueling practices, who smiles and cheers the team on, they are gaining a life education about starting and finishing, about growing that will serve them well in life. It's rude to knock these young women who contribute to what we all enjoy. If any of them were your daughter you would be extremely proud of their performance no matter how many minutes or points per game. They are producers and winners.

Reaction Score
Did I read last year that UCONN also honors their graduating male practice players? If I recall, it takes place at a home game prior to Senior Day. Does anyone know if this is a Husky tradition?

Reaction Score
Did I read last year that UCONN also honors their graduating male practice players? If I recall, it takes place at a home game prior to Senior Day. Does anyone know if this is a Husky tradition?
They did honor them at the Temple game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom