Semi- New president Thomas Katsouleas doubling research spending at UConn | The Boneyard

Semi- New president Thomas Katsouleas doubling research spending at UConn

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is great. UConn has lagged behind a lot of other large universities in research. More research brings more high salaried professionals into the state and bolsters all kinds of job growth in the private sector too.

Reaction Score
This is B1G picture thinking of behalf of the new prez. Research spending is one of the B1Ggest components of AAU membership. This is year 1 of our 3 year plan to get into the B1G.
I would even settle for ACC. UConn is an ideal research setting and more research programs could help the state's economy, too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Who is going to pay for it? The students already are burdened enough with high cost to go to a state school. The taxpayers in Connecticut are tapped out with all 53 new taxes and fees already.

I want to see more research, but the taxpayers and students shouldn't be footing the bill

Reaction Score
Who is going to pay for it? The students already are burdened enough with high cost to go to a state school. The taxpayers in Connecticut are tapped out with all 53 new taxes and fees already.

I want to see more research, but the taxpayers and students shouldn't be footing the bill

A lot of the research funds come from the federal government or other sources. If UConn develops a drug that succeeds in the marketplace it could stand to generate millions of dollars.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

That's how it works, brofessor. Seed money. Once the research gets rolling, the economy gets stimulated, UCONN grads earn more money to donate to UCONN - everyone gets leied!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
A lot of the research funds come from the federal government or other sources. If UConn develops a drug that succeeds in the marketplace it could stand to generate millions of dollars.
If only we had an ongoing relationship with a big pharmaceutical like Pfizer...

#thanksmansfield

Reaction Score
If only we had an ongoing relationship with a big pharmaceutical like Pfizer...

#thanksmansfield
I think the new president is the type of leader who can forge such a relationship. Let's hope so.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think the new president is the type of leader who can forge such a relationship. Let's hope so.
Yeah, that particular ship has long sailed.

Reaction Score
As TomKat has mentioned the fringe benefits paid to the professors make us non competitive when compared with similar universities when funding grants are awarded. How are we going to get the professors to lower their fringe benefits? My solution is to get all professors out of the pension system and put them in 401K's. They make plenty of income so that they can pay for their own retirements with the State making a 401k match. The UCONN Health Center is a huge problem for the University with shrinking State General Fund allocations and huge pensions on the books.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just that the state is broke and my happy butt can't afford any more taxes. I do donate to the school every year.
I want UConn to do the best and be the best, but the state is broke and that is a fact.

Reaction Score
Research into what? Hemerrohoid growth in the XL stadium may be a worthy topic.

Reaction Score
Aching backs and knees in Gampel also is in need of pharmaceuticals attention too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom