OT: - Seeking advice for new dog owners | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Seeking advice for new dog owners

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Get a bell for your door and train it to ring it when it has to go out. Every time you take it out ring the bell and give it a treat and keep reinforcing the bell bathroom treat connection. We did it with our new puppy and it took about two weeks before he figured it out and it’s been great.
I think friends of ours did this with their Standard Poodle puppy. Thanks for the reminder! I'm having trouble envisioning what kind of bell you would use for this. A dog-specific thing?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I think friends of ours did this with their Standard Poodle puppy. Thanks for the reminder! I'm having trouble envisioning what kind of bell you would use for this. A dog-specific thing?
We bought this one from chewy: CALDWELL'S Potty Bells Original Dog Doorbell, Black - Chewy.com
He’s a little over a year old now and still dings his bell when he’s got to the bathroom, and our older dog that we never trained picked it up just by watching him.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Looks like we've got a new family member inbound. A local breeder had the intended new owner of this pup show up drunk to pick her up, so they told the guy to get lost. They asked a friend of ours who has a dog from a prior litter if she could think of a good home for her. They sent a pic to my wife and daughter and it was pretty much all over.

We had about a dozen siberian huskies pass through our household when I was younger, but I haven't owned a dog since college. I could use any tips you have to offer, particularly related to good training resources.

View attachment 71489
Cool looking dog and yes, that breed will need a ton of exercise and attention. Not a bad thing - good way for you to get a lot of exercise too.

My advice is to go out and buy a ton load of chew toys - and then get some more. She should learn quickly toys are for chewing, shoes and couches, not so much.

Reaction Score
I would definitely crate train her.
Didn't read the whole thread...but regarding putting puppies in a crate when your not home, I just had to share this sad story...
never..never leave them in a crate/cage with a collar on. One of my best friends and his wife came home to a tragic sight because of the puppies collar getting hooked on the cage and you can figure out the rest.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We bought this one from chewy: CALDWELL'S Potty Bells Original Dog Doorbell, Black - Chewy.com
He’s a little over a year old now and still dings his bell when he’s got to the bathroom, and our older dog that we never trained picked it up just by watching him.

I have two dogs -- our oldest, that we got first, picked up on this within a day and we've been using it ever since. Our younger one that we got the following year is a super sweet dog, but not the brightest and never figured out how this worked. Luckily my other dog rings the bell for her when she has to go. I highly recommend bell training.

Reaction Score
Good luck with your puppy, she is beautiful. Looks chilled to me from pic.. Can't offer anything that has not been said yet. Oh! Wait make sure you train her in watching UConn hoops. :)

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I have two dogs -- our oldest, that we got first, picked up on this within a day and we've been using it ever since. Our younger one that we got the following year is a super sweet dog, but not the brightest and never figured out how this worked. Luckily my other dog rings the bell for her when she has to go. I highly recommend bell training.
It was a little bit annoying at first because he realized he could just ding the bell and get a treat when we took him outside but it was a lot less annoying than cleaning up puddles of pee. Plus it impresses guests.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Didn't read the whole thread...but regarding putting puppies in a crate when your not home, I just had to share this sad story...
never..never leave them in a crate/cage with a collar on. One of my best friends and his wife came home to a tragic sight because of the puppies collar getting hooked on the cage and you can figure out the rest.
Yeah crate training isn’t sticking a dog in a crate when you’re not home, especially for sustained hours. I’m not a big fan of that, though when they are young, it’s wise to keep them in the crate when they’re not being watched. But very young dogs don’t do well on their own. Dogs are inherently very social animals.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my 6-year-old goldendoodle, Ollie (there's your advice right there, 87) has gotten worse in terms of barking. We live in a city and he's barking at everybody he hears going by and everybody that comes in, whether he knows them or not.

We bought a collar that shot out citronella when he barked-- didn't work. We bought a non-shock collar which has two protruberances that vibrate against his throat and which beeps when he barks -- that worked great at first, but now it doesn't bother him at all, even after I turned it up to 11.

We hired a trainer but she got sick. I guess we could get another one. But short of shock collars, does anybody have any recommendations as to something we can buy to curb this maniac's barking?

Also, yes on immediate potty training (do not over-rely on weewee pads inside the house) -- your dog will learn to go outside faster than you think. Yes on crate training. For a few months, when we left the house we would lock him in the crate, but soon enough we began leaving the door open. He now likes the crate and goes into it for naps. We trained him to go into on the prompt "kennel up" but now we don't even need to say it; once he knows we're leaving and not taking him, he goes right into it.
"We bought a non- shock collar which has two protuberances that vibrate against his throat and which beeps when he barks..."

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
We bought a collar that shot out citronella when he barked-- didn't work…We hired a trainer but she got sick. Apparently she had some kind of allergy to citronella. Had to stab her with an epi-pen. Who knew you are supposed to use them on the throat?

Well, that was unfortunate.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my 6-year-old goldendoodle, Ollie (there's your advice right there, 87) has gotten worse in terms of barking. We live in a city and he's barking at everybody he hears going by and everybody that comes in, whether he knows them or not.

We bought a collar that shot out citronella when he barked-- didn't work. We bought a non-shock collar which has two protruberances that vibrate against his throat and which beeps when he barks -- that worked great at first, but now it doesn't bother him at all, even after I turned it up to 11.

We hired a trainer but she got sick. I guess we could get another one. But short of shock collars, does anybody have any recommendations as to something we can buy to curb this maniac's barking?

Also, yes on immediate potty training (do not over-rely on weewee pads inside the house) -- your dog will learn to go outside faster than you think. Yes on crate training. For a few months, when we left the house we would lock him in the crate, but soon enough we began leaving the door open. He now likes the crate and goes into it for naps. We trained him to go into on the prompt "kennel up" but now we don't even need to say it; once he knows we're leaving and not taking him, he goes right into it.
Nice Spinal Tap 11 reference.

We trained one of our previous dogs to go in to crate with "To the bat cave". She loved it.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
i'm getting a red heeler named Dingo one day!
It has been discussed ever since we learned that the breed is a relative of the Dingo. But looks like Senna it is. Just got her home and surprisingly, she's been 100% chill through separating her from her mom and her people, an hour car ride, and a new environment.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Have you tried BarxBuddy?

We adopted a 2 1/2 year old Springer Spaniel rescue a year and a half ago (to accompany our 12 year old Springer) and she had (and still has to some degree) a few unwanted behaviors we needed to curb, especially jumping up on counters (and people). My mother-in-law loaned us one of these and it works very well. Now all we need to do is grab it and point it and she stops whatever she's doing.

Sounds interesting and useful -- but I assume you have to press it manually whenever you want to send him a message he's doing something wrong?

I'm just so annoyed that the collar we bought him didn't work. It did at first -- he was confused about the vibration and the noise. And then he just got used to it and the barking is as bad as ever. Took about a week for him to make the adjustment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds interesting and useful -- but I assume you have to press it manually whenever you want to send him a message he's doing something wrong?
Correct.

Reaction Score
Beautiful pup best of luck. Sounds like all kinds of real good advice to learn from. We were lucky enough to have a black lab for 16 plus years who brought home at 3 months old and never had to crate or train. Rarely a barker and just a lover didn’t have to crate her ever we got lucky.

Bring in a 2 yr old rescue a Mountain Cur from Mississippi that had 5 puppies in the wild and throw all the rule books out the window. After a couple weeks she was almost heading back to Ole Miss but the turn around has been amazing. Some excellent training at Dave’s Pet Food City for a few weeks and realizing she needed dog parks to be friendly with all other dogs everything has changed. She was awful walking in parks or trails with the harness and leash loves people but was terrifying with other dogs leashed. But the more she went to the dog parks she seemed to find that she likes most other dogs in any venue. We were told by the foster parents in Stamford CT she will never be a lap dog but she will be loving and loyal. I can’t get her off my lap and she’s just a great walking partner.

Your pup will need tons of exercise and I am a huge believer that dog parks help them get along in every day life with other pups.

Good luck you’ll love Senna

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I have a Rhodesian ridge back

That is a beautiful and smart & loyal dog. My buddy rescued one. Rehabbed it, and I had no issues leaving him with my ex's Brussels Griffon (the girl freaked out). Roxy slept curled up in the Rhodys tummy. Wish I had a picture, because the Griffon is an acronym for a lion. What the ridgeback was bred to protect livestock from....

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Discipline & Routines
And your time and exercise. Especially 1st year.

Crate can work but you will never need one if you are committed early. It’s a big time commitment though.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is a beautiful and smart & loyal dog. My buddy rescued one. Rehabbed it, and I had no issues leaving him with my ex's Brussels Griffon (the girl freaked out). Roxy slept curled up in the Rhodys tummy. Wish I had a picture, because the Griffon is an acronym for a lion. What the ridgeback was bred to protect livestock from....
She’s a good one…
00E7156B-9190-4D4D-869B-8F2FF98B4C1F.jpeg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t have a dog, but screw it, this is the internet and I am an expert.

1) Seriously? A crate? All day while you’re not home? My idea is that if your lifestyle is such that your dog needs to be stored in a box for eight to ten hours a day, don’t get a dog. The dog is halfway to living life as a veal calf. (“But Sparky LOVES his crate!” No. Stop. Sparky is just happy to be let out of solitary when you come home.)

2) Don’t let them on the furniture. Dogs make your furniture gross.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom