OT: - Seeking advice for new dog owners | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Seeking advice for new dog owners

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wouldn't either unless far away from cars out in the woods or something. My dogs are always leashed unless we're hiking in the sticks.
I'm not even sure I'd let any dog with husky in it to roam free even in the woods. They have a tendency to bolt when given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure I'd let any dog with husky in it to roam free even in the woods. They have a tendency to bolt when given the opportunity.

I had 2 huskies growing up as part of our stable of dogs. People don't realize how hard they are to raise. One boy used to take off for 2-3 days at a time occassionally id he snuck out the front door. Luckily we lived in the middle of nowhere. That stupid dog somehow lived to be 16

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Any dog that loves its owner will return after such bolting.

Reaction Score
I had 2 huskies growing up as part of our stable of dogs. People don't realize how hard they are to raise. One boy used to take off for 2-3 days at a time occassionally id he snuck out the front door. Luckily we lived in the middle of nowhere. That stupid dog somehow lived to be 16
I wanted a dog I could mtn bike with and hike with off leash...lol .we were shocked when the DNA test showed husky...we thought border collie/shephard/ausie.. Even our trainer that competes with Border Collies assumed that was his dominant breed.

But we were also surprised when our last guy's test showed Golden...even though he looked like a wolf..

Reaction Score
Do Huskies have a tendency to bolt?

My border collie-german shepherd mutt has never bolted. She's stubborn as heck sometimes at the end of walks when it comes to getting back in the car. Is bolting a breed specific thing or is it more how the dog is raised?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Yep. Of the 5 huskies we kept as pets we were only successful in training 1 of them to be trusted off leash. The others were pretty likely to bolt.

One, a mutant for a husky at almost 100lbs, disappeared for a day and we got a call from someone at an animal farm sort of thing near Bishops Corner in W Harford saying he had attacked one of their sheep. Same dog (Jamie) got out another time. He finally came blasting in the door and got under the dining room table. Then we got a knock on the door from an older guy in an MG missing its front bumper. Apparently he hit the dog, but it did more damage to the car than to Jamie.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Do Huskies have a tendency to bolt?
Ours sure did, and they were otherwise really well trained and well behaved (and obviously super smart). With other breeds we had it was never an issue, even with a fraction of the training dedicated to it.

It's only day 2 with this new heeler pup, and I decided that trying to keep her from getting tangled in the leash was a pain, so I just dropped it on the ground and walked away to see what she'd do. She just sat down for a sec, then realized I was going to keep going and happily followed me around the perimeter of the yard for a couple laps. Awesome.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom