SEC Scheduling Once Oklahoma, Texas Join | The Boneyard

SEC Scheduling Once Oklahoma, Texas Join

Reaction Score
At the recent SEC meetings, league officials released the following info about scheduling for WBB after Oklahoma and Texas join the league:

"For SEC women’s basketball, each team will play a rotating opponent home and away, plus 14 remaining opponents in single contests for a 16-game league slate."

So, when the two new teams enter the league, the schedule will not expand from 16 games to 18. This is how they will accomplish that: Right now, each women's team plays home and away against three different teams each season in addition to one game against 10 other teams. Once the league expands, each team will play only one other team home and away, and that will be done on a rotating basis.

Reaction Score
Why even bother... this would only make competition sense if it's 1 vs. 2 in the home and away with 3 vs. 4 and so on.... a random choosing would do nothing for anyone with being just one paired opponent.

Reaction Score
Why even bother... this would only make competition sense if it's 1 vs. 2 in the home and away with 3 vs. 4 and so on.... a random choosing would do nothing for anyone with being just one paired opponent.
Well, this is being done for NCAAT seeding. This will clearly be the #1 conference. You don't want to jeopardize seeding for a team like Tennessee, should their one opponent that they played twice, be South Carolina...and lose both times. In the Ogunbowale/Durr years, the ACC never had those teams play twice in the regular season, for that very reason.

Reaction Score
Well, this is being done for NCAAT seeding. This will clearly be the #1 conference. You don't want to jeopardize seeding for a team like Tennessee, should their one opponent that they played twice, be South Carolina...and lose both times. In the Ogunbowale/Durr years, the ACC never had those teams play twice in the regular season, for that very reason.
I don't disagree with your reasoning so then I go back to my initial thought, why bother.... I'd even be OK if they maybe did top and bottom half or 4 quadrants to do the drawings. I see no point in say making the 16th ranked team play South Carolina twice if it's left to complete random draw.

Reaction Score
The ACC went from 16 to 18 conference games since Ogunbowale/Durr left and put Notre Dame and Louisville in the same quadrant and that's the reason why they place twice in the regular season now.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your reasoning so then I go back to my initial thought, why bother.... I'd even be OK if they maybe did top and bottom half or 4 quadrants to do the drawings. I see no point in say making the 16th ranked team play South Carolina twice if it's left to complete random draw.
It won't be random, though. It will be rotating. Let's say Vandy plays South Carolina twice in the first year the new schedule is implemented. They won't play the Gamecocks twice again until they've rotated through all the rest of the league's teams. In other words, 14 years. They'll still play them every year but only one time.

Reaction Score
At the recent SEC meetings, league officials released the following info about scheduling for WBB after Oklahoma and Texas join the league:

"For SEC women’s basketball, each team will play a rotating opponent home and away, plus 14 remaining opponents in single contests for a 16-game league slate."

So, when the two new teams enter the league, the schedule will not expand from 16 games to 18. This is how they will accomplish that: Right now, each women's team plays home and away against three different teams each season in addition to one game against 10 other teams. Once the league expands, each team will play only one other team home and away, and that will be done on a rotating basis.
Drooling over the thought of driving Vic crazy once again. Don't even bring the jacket, Vic. It won't be on long enough to bother with it. :p:cool:

Reaction Score
Drooling over the thought of driving Vic crazy once again. Don't even bring the jacket, Vic. It won't be on long enough to bother with it. :p:cool:
I love confidence but dang….Vic hasa much bigger pool of athletes to pull from in Texas than he did from Mississippi. Have you seen the facilities they are building for basketball there? Good grief. Im all Gamecock all the time, but whew…

Reaction Score
2025 will be interesting.

The first year for Oklahoma and Texas in the SEC coincides with a deep pool of freshman talent. Oklahoma has 5 prospects in the top 25 for 2025 and Texas has 2. Potential for each school to arrive in the conference with deep, young talent

Reaction Score
I love confidence but dang….Vic hasa much bigger pool of athletes to pull from in Texas than he did from Mississippi. Have you seen the facilities they are building for basketball there? Good grief. Im all Gamecock all the time, but whew…
Dawn is very familiar with Vic and I doubt his fundamental style of coaching and tendencies are going to change at this point no matter what talent he has. Sure, the opposite can also be said with Vic of Dawn. I firmly believe Dawn is simply a better coach than him plus she has ALL of the momentum both on a collegiate coaching level and on a national platform outside of that and it gives us a huge advantage. Additionally, we have already been tested against Vic at Texas with the bigger pool of talent and we won. I don't subscribe to the notion that Texas' shiny new facilities are going to make that significant of a difference. UCONN is a terrific example of this, absolutely no offense intended to them. Their facilities by comparison to larger schools with expansive athletic program budgets is pretty large in that they compete against programs with "fancier" facilities routinely without it having had that big of a difference in their results of winning. They've had "down" yrs for them, but most teams would die for a "down" year by their standards.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score

Dumb and dumber. Go to 18 games and have three home and home games a year. One rivalry game that is permanent and two rotating H&H.

Rivalry games would be
Bama-Auburn
State-Ole Miss
Tennessee-Vandy
Kentucky-South Carolina
Florida-Georgia
Arkansas-Missouri
LSU-A&M
Texas-Oklahoma

I think that would make the SEC much better overall and it still gives you plenty of OOC games.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Dawn is very familiar with Vic and I doubt his fundamental style of coaching and tendencies are going to change at this point no matter what talent he has. Sure, the opposite can also be said with Vic of Dawn. I firmly believe Dawn is simply a better coach than him plus she has ALL of the momentum both on a collegiate coaching level and on a national platform outside of that and it gives us a huge advantage. Additionally, we have already been tested against Vic at Texas with the bigger pool of talent and we won. I don't subscribe to the notion that Texas' shiny new facilities are going to make that significant of a difference. UCONN is a terrific example of this, absolutely no offense intended to them. Their facilities by comparison to larger schools with expansive athletic program budgets is pretty large in that they compete against programs with "fancier" facilities routinely without it having had that big of a difference in their results of winning. They've had "down" yrs for them, but most teams would die for a "down" year by their standards.
Not sure, are you knocking UConns facilities? They are one of the best in the country, so if you are you should get a tour if you are up this way. Very impressive.

Reaction Score
Not sure, are you knocking UConns facilities? They are one of the best in the country, so if you are you should get a tour if you are up this way. Very impressive.
Not at all. I have a very good friend who is a huge UConn WBB fan and alum. We have brag sessions to each other regularly. LOL. We started out, ironically, bitterly arguing over South Carolina and UConn which is how we became acquainted. Somewhere along the line of arguing with each other a healthy mutual respect developed of each other's programs and with it, a better understanding of the "vibe" of each of our fan bases and programs as a whole. He's taught me a lot about UConn as an entirety, ground up.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Not at all. I have a very good friend who is a huge UConn WBB fan and alum. We have brag sessions to each other regularly. LOL. We started out, ironically, bitterly arguing over South Carolina and UConn which is how we became acquainted. Somewhere along the line of arguing with each other a healthy mutual respect developed of each other's programs and with it, a better understanding of the "vibe" of each of our fan bases and programs as a whole. He's taught me a lot about UConn as an entirety, ground up.
I have the greatest respect for the SC program, consider them our new rival, and not the bitter kind like Tennessee. A matter of fact, my son vacationed at Myrtle Beach a few years ago and brought back a Gamecocks hat, a pretty nice one at that. I laughed and asked him what am I suppose to do with that? LOL. Actually I started to use it as my "working outside" hat. Sometimes I do wear it out, but not to any event that UConn fans will be at. We need to beat you this year to legitimize the rivalry, but I predict it will happen.

Reaction Score
I have the greatest respect for the SC program, consider them our new rival, and not the bitter kind like Tennessee. A matter of fact, my son vacationed at Myrtle Beach a few years ago and brought back a Gamecocks hat, a pretty nice one at that. I laughed and asked him what am I suppose to do with that? LOL. Actually I started to use it as my "working outside" hat. Sometimes I do wear it out, but not to any event that UConn fans will be at. We need to beat you this year to legitimize the rivalry, but I predict it will happen.
Heck, WE need to win about 5 more in a row to “Legitimize” the rivalry.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I dont disagree with most of this, but saying "Dawn is tested against Vic at Texas and his pool of recruits" is just inaccurate considering they've only met once, and Vic was in his very first year at Texas when they played. Fact is, he's just getting started there and we've never seen him play with a roster loaded with former HS All Americans, but that changes this year and in future years to come.

Dawn had the edge vs Vic in their SEC rivalry, but she's always had loaded rosters compared to him. He couldnt recruit as well at Mississippi State, but at Texas his recruiting has picked up big time as he hauled in 2 top 10 kids last year and landed some of the biggest names in the portal this year. He's also coming off back to back Elite 8 seasons and will be preseason top 5 this year. Give it a couple years for those kids to develop and we'll likely see some massive battles between those 2, plus LSU with the job Mulkey is doing too. I will not be surprised if Dawn continues to win vs Vic but it's too early to declare that she has been tested by Vic and his recruits at Texas.

Reaction Score
I dont disagree with most of this, but saying "Dawn is tested against Vic at Texas and his pool of recruits" is just inaccurate considering they've only met once, and Vic was in his very first year at Texas when they played. Fact is, he's just getting started there and we've never seen him play with a roster loaded with former HS All Americans, but that changes this year and in future years to come.

Dawn had the edge vs Vic in their SEC rivalry, but she's always had loaded rosters compared to him. He couldnt recruit as well at Mississippi State, but at Texas his recruiting has picked up big time as he hauled in 2 top 10 kids last year and landed some of the biggest names in the portal this year. He's also coming off back to back Elite 8 seasons and will be preseason top 5 this year. Give it a couple years for those kids to develop and we'll likely see some massive battles between those 2, plus LSU with the job Mulkey is doing too. I will not be surprised if Dawn continues to win vs Vic but it's too early to declare that she has been tested by Vic and his recruits at Texas.
Those are definitely fair points. I'm looking forward to it. The future of WBB looks to be a wild, fun ride with additional programs building and emerging as threats and I'm sure there will be heart breaks to go around for all of us. I'm STILL traumatized by 2 yrs ago and our Final Four game vs Stanford. I thought winning it all last yr might erase that but nope, traces of it are still there. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom