SEC Preseason Media Picks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SEC Preseason Media Picks

Reaction Score
I think Mingo-Young for Mississippi State has a chance to be really special too. Strong, athletic combo-guard, though she has endured multiple knee injuries.

I watched her against Destanni Henderson at a HS holiday tournament in Naples, FL, and Mingo-Young was really impressive (she was the better player in that specific game and outplayed Henderson). Her ranking dropped drastically after multiple ACL injuries.

I’m excited to see more Henderson. When she’s a senior running the show with Cooke as a junior, it’ll be scary.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
@bballnut90 - I think having 9 turnovers in conference play is definitely more an indication of improvement than lack of minutes to say. Though yes I agree with you that her offense is not that good. But then I guess she doesn't need to have good offense on a team with Bibby, Jackson, Scott, Espinoza, and Danberry. It's not uncommon for a Vic Schaefer player to gradually improve through the course of the year. And for them to look completely different one year to the next. Though Taylor has a real tall task to handle, because we don't have anyone else that can be a starter just yet so I hope she doesn't revert back to freshman inconsistencies. But i don't think she just suddenly stopped having those 4-6 turnover games just because she got slightly less minutes. Vic really practices turnover drills.

@SCspur @Gamecockfan77 - I really like that 1-2-3 G/SF trio of Henderson, Harrigan, and Harris. We should just call them the H sisters. HHHH if we add Herbert Harrigan's double Hs.

Reaction Score
I think Mingo-Young for Mississippi State has a chance to be really special too. Strong, athletic combo-guard, though she has endured multiple knee injuries.

I watched her against Destanni Henderson at a HS holiday tournament in Naples, FL, and Mingo-Young was really impressive (she was the better player in that specific game and outplayed Henderson). Her ranking dropped drastically after multiple ACL injuries.

I’m excited to see more Henderson. When she’s a senior running the show with Cooke as a junior, it’ll be scary.
I agree with you in regards to Mingo-Young. I believe she will be to Myah what Jazz was to Morgan, I.e., a PG substitute more than adequate for the position. I hope Mingo-Young gets enough playing time early so by the time we play SC and A&M, PG will be a strong point for MSST rather than a concern.

Reaction Score
Harris really struggled offensively in almost every other game against a ranked team, so not sure you can read much into 18ppg since it's a 2 game sample size. She is capable offensively but isn't an efficient scorer. Sort of a toss up at this point between her and Danberry for who will be a bigger factor/contributor to their team. Both are going to be immensely important for their experience as much as anything else.

Henderson had a great stretch (where she averaged 12.8ppg over 6 games, not 16.5) but was a non-factor pretty much the rest of the season. Take out that stretch and she averaged just 3.7 ppg last year on 28.8% FG and 31.5% 3pt. I think we'll witness her more this year but she'll need to take a MASSIVE leap in order for her to turn heads like you suggest.

The 6 game stretch represents a period where she got extended playing time and South Carolina opened up its offense. The other periods reflect a true freshman playing behind two seniors and Cooper in limited playing time.

Henderson was a top 10 recruit and the #1 pg recruit in the country. Somehow I suspect you would be less incredulous if she wore a different uniform.

But you don't average 16 pts a game over 6 conference games with those shooting lines unless you have a lot of ability.

It wouldn't be a massive anything for her to average in double figures with BCM out of the picture.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
you can go watch the 2019 ladies mcdonalds all american game in its entirety on youtube and it was fun to watch. the east had 3 south carolina players that started and also horsten from tennessee. the west had rickea jackson. all these players were very impressive to watch. i think south carolina is in great shape after watching those three play. beal, to me, looked the most impressive of the three. cooke seemed a bit out of control, but can get to the basket with ease and has tons of talent. boston looked good under the basket as well. horsten look awesome too. she has so much length. her defense will really help tennessee this season. rickea jackson can do it all..she reminds me a bit of rennia davis as well..cant wait for the season to start

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think the Lady Vols are underrated. They'll finish 3rd or 4th the lowest.
Bahhahah! :p That’s a good one! They have improved simply by dumping Holly but let’s not get silly. They did lose Westbrook and Collins so they will be young. While the SEC isn’t as strong as some prior year iterations, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas should all be good. A great season for them would 6th. That said, Vanderbilt has to cut Stephanie White loose if these poll comes close to be accurate. The amount of money spent, the poor results, poor recruiting and frankly poor coaching show they mad a very poor choice.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee has a exhibition game on the 29th. We can get our first look at this year's team.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State had their Maroon Madness this past Friday night for the men’s and women’s teams. Everything was fairly scripted in a pep rally style but they did have a three point contest (won by A Espinoza-Hunter) and an abbreviated Maroon vs White scrimmage. Some notes include that both C Bibby and P Taylor. The sample size regarding either player was really too small to gauge recovery although other than a knee brace C Bibby moved very well. J Danberry played point guard for her team. Again it was stretching it to call it a true scrimmage.
There will be an official Maroon vs White scrimmage Thursday that is open to the public. Further word is all four freshmen (R Jackson, J Hemingway, J Mingo-Young, and A Matharu) are pushing hard for playing time.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
there are several ways tennessee can compete for a conf title this season. the first was get rid of holly..check.

secondly, cut down on the unforced turnovers and play more in control.

horsten has to have an all freshman like season. she is lengthy and can give tennessee a really good defensive boost and she can score points in a hurry.

massengill, kk, and burrell will have to improve signifigantly

rennia davis HAS to be more consistent, especially after the loss of westbrook. to many times she completely disappeared last year

all in all, 2020 has been a recruiting bust for kelly harper. sigining a 144 ranked player wont get it done in the sec. she needs to make a statement THIS season and finishing sixth wont get it done. time will tell

btw at least break the losing streak to alabama geez

Reaction Score
Bahhahah! :p That’s a good one! They have improved simply by dumping Holly but let’s not get silly. They did lose Westbrook and Collins so they will be young. While the SEC isn’t as strong as some prior year iterations, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas should all be good. A great season for them would 6th. That said, Vanderbilt has to cut Stephanie White loose if these poll comes close to be accurate. The amount of money spent, the poor results, poor recruiting and frankly poor coaching show they mad a very poor choice.
Tbh losing Westbrook n Collins isn't as bad as everyone makes it. As long as Their freshman can come to play early. I expect Zay Green to make a huge jump. She's already a great defensive guard. Long as her offense translates. She'll be one of the best in the conference by March. If UCLA's
KK show up. That'll be scary. New coach. Still have experience on the team. Davis has to show she can lead the team consistently.. a lot bashed Westbrook but she showed up more than Davis. Butb Talented new players. They have one of the better teams in the conference on paper. But time will tell with Harper coaching. If she gets this talent Playing at a high level. It's hard to beat Tennessee. I'm an LSU fan btw.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
there are several ways tennessee can compete for a conf title this season. the first was get rid of holly..check.

secondly, cut down on the unforced turnovers and play more in control.

horsten has to have an all freshman like season. she is lengthy and can give tennessee a really good defensive boost and she can score points in a hurry.

massengill, kk, and burrell will have to improve signifigantly

rennia davis HAS to be more consistent, especially after the loss of westbrook. to many times she completely disappeared last year

all in all, 2020 has been a recruiting bust for kelly harper. sigining a 144 ranked player wont get it done in the sec. she needs to make a statement THIS season and finishing sixth wont get it done. time will tell

btw at least break the losing streak to alabama geez
I guess I just don’t see the “generational talent” in Horston that all Tenn fans do. She is not Breanna Stewart who can make such an immediate impact, heck eve Stewie struggled until the BE Tournament and NCAAT in her freshman year and she was 6’4” so I just don’t see Jordan as that capable as a freshman (yes potentially as a Sophomore to Senior assuming KJH is a legitimate coach)
The Tenn team is young and inexperienced AND will require Davis to step up immensely in leadership and maturity. Rennae is certainly capable but it takes 5,6 or 7 other players to compete at a high level to succeed. I don’t see them placing in the top 5 of the SEC this year.

Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t see the “generational talent” in Horston that all Tenn fans do. She is not Breanna Stewart who can make such an immediate impact, heck eve Stewie struggled until the BE Tournament and NCAAT in her freshman year and she was 6’4” so I just don’t see Jordan as that capable as a freshman (yes potentially as a Sophomore to Senior assuming KJH is a legitimate coach)
The Tenn team is young and inexperienced AND will require Davis to step up immensely in leadership and maturity. Rennae is certainly capable but it takes 5,6 or 7 other players to compete at a high level to succeed. I don’t see them placing in the top 5 of the SEC this year.
They definitely are Top 5 SEC if she can coach. They have the talent, that’s just the bottom line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom