SEC 21-22 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a team so disinterested in playing through the post, but that’s to be expected when you have Clark, Fudd, Paopao, Citron and Johnson in your backcourt. Plus they’re all so young.. post play isn't really emphasized at the youth level. It’s not until college where most players learn to really play and execute inside-out. That said, this USA team had some good forwards/centers that we really didn’t get to see much of at all. From what I’ve seen, all of them are already very good at 1 or 2 things and I can see all of them doing very well at the college level..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ramirez.

Don't sleep on Elauna Eaton joining the lineup, either.
Whoopsie, my bad. It will be interesting to see how the newbies gel with Neighbors style and mesh with the returnees too

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a team so disinterested in playing through the post, but that’s to be expected when you have Clark, Fudd, Paopao, Citron and Johnson in your backcourt. Plus they’re all so young.. post play isn't really emphasized at the youth level. It’s not until college where most players learn to really play and execute inside-out. That said, this USA team had some good forwards/centers that we really didn’t get to see much of at all. From what I’ve seen, all of them are already very good at 1 or 2 things and I can see all of them doing very well at the college level..

She sort of took a back seat this tournament (I'm not really sure why, because I thought she looked great), but don't forget Payton Verhulst, as well, She is such a steady, all-around player. She continues to stand out to me. I was really impressed with Citron, for sure, but I thought Verhulst was every bit as good (and even better on D).

Reaction Score
I don't feel like he had any bigs to speak of last year.

defense...well you maybe have a point there.
Taylah Thomas. She had 17 against Uconn. But...Neighbors...and Arkansas guards forgot she was a starter most of the time. lol

Reaction Score
She sort of took a back seat this tournament (I'm not really sure why, because I thought she looked great), but don't forget Payton Verhulst, as well, She is such a steady, all-around player. She continues to stand out to me. I was really impressed with Citron, for sure, but I thought Verhulst was every bit as good (and even better on D).

I disagree with this as it pertains to this tournament, but I could easily see Verhulst being more of a college star.

Reaction Score
Taylah Thomas. She had 17 against Uconn. But...Neighbors...and Arkansas guards forgot she was a starter most of the time. lol
Love, love, love Taylah, but she is 6'1" in one-inch shoes. She played the post (mostly due to limited options), but she was not a "big," per se. If opposing teams let her use her speed to get down the court and score in transition, she was a great asset. (She also became a VERY reliable FT shooter over the course of her career.) She was not a great low post option in the half-court against teams with legit post-sized players, though. (I am actually hoping she has a great grad-transfer year as a 4 in TTU's offense.)

I think the Hogs will have more options this year. It's time for Destinee Oberg to step up and show what she can (or can't) do, and the Fr Emrie Ellis is a very versatile presence. She is 6'2"-6'3", but she is really long and good shot blocker/changer. Not sure how SEC-ready she is, though. And Erynn Barnum is a lot like Thomas, but with more strength and offensive game, and a little more height (but not as good at FT's, by a long shot).

The Hogs have been so short for Neighbors' tenure, but they look to have four 6'+ players on the court for much of the time this year (even if Dauda red-shirts, which seems likely): Goforth (6'1"), Eaton (6'), Wolfenbarger (6'4"-6"5"), Oberg (6'3"), Ellis, Marquesha Davis (6'), Barnum (6'2"), and Fr. Ashlyn Sage (6'2"). Of the folks who are likely to see the most playing time, only Ramirez and Makayla Daniels (both 5'9") are on the shorter side.

The concern for me about the Hogs is youth/inexperience. Ramirez and Daniels are also their most experienced players. Goforth has a year at OSU, and Davis and Barnum have been important role players for 2 years in Neighbors' system. Otherwise, the other players are new or have seen very few minutes. How will they come together? How will they replace Dungee's production? I'm kind of envisioning a slow start but rounding into shape as the season moves on ... which I guess isn't that bold a prediction lol.

Reaction Score
Tennessee gonna be interesting. They lost a sniper in Re.... Now can Burrell take it up a notch and be that leader. Same with Jordan H...

They're gonna crack the top 5... But will they have any identity.
Well...assuming volnation members aren't delusional in believing that Pissott (2022) is the next Stewie or Della Donne and that Striplin, Wynn and Puckett are all VASTLY underrated by ranking services.....I'm thinking they should win the SEC outright! OH...and they have a secret weapon....COACH JUMPER...who can be there tomorrow. GEESH.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Anyone hearing of any potential matchups in the SEC/Big 12 challenge? This is all I've been able to piece together:

Florida @ TCU
ISU @ LSU
Mizzou @ Baylor

Texas plays its annual game at Tennessee this season; hope it doesn't count as the challenge game. Since we hosted A&M in last season's challenge, we'll be on the road this season. Thinking maybe at MSU, South Carolina, or Kentucky.

Reaction Score
The Hogs were supposed to sit out last year, but nobody else would play Baylor. Pretty sure that Arkansas is sitting this one out.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC’s OOC schedule is pretty crowded, but there’s a chance we could be in.

Reaction Score
SC’s OOC schedule is pretty crowded, but there’s a chance we could be in.
I’m thinking @southie is right and Texas will travel to SC this year. We played at Iowa St and I highly doubt the Big 12 would send us anyone other than Baylor or Texas.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I’m thinking @southie is right and Texas will travel to SC this year. We played at Iowa St and I highly doubt the Big 12 would send us anyone other than Baylor or Texas.
West Virginia hosted Tennessee last season; so, wouldn't surprise me if WVU was sent to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Err, ok.

I do not really understand the scheduling in this challenge (or SEC conference games in general

they seem to dislike marquee events.
Which is why it’s coming to an end lol. Maybe we can play the PAC 12 schools.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Which is why it’s coming to an end lol. Maybe we can play the PAC 12 schools.
I have a feeling ESPN will help with the creation of an SEC/ACC challenge once Texas and OU begin playing in the SEC. So, that would mean the end of the B1G/ACC challenge, IMO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Err, ok.

I do not really understand the scheduling in this challenge (or SEC conference games in general

they seem to dislike marquee events.
I have a feeling that some teams refuse or ask out of games against certain other teams, particularly the powerhouses.

And it's the Big 12. There aren't a lot of marquee teams.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that some teams refuse or ask out of games against certain other teams, particularly the powerhouses.

And it's the Big 12. There aren't a lot of marquee teams.

texas or Baylor would have made natural TV games. But maybe over scheduling for everyone involved.

Plebe

Reaction Score
texas or Baylor would have made natural TV games. But maybe over scheduling for everyone involved.
Didn't Baylor beat SC in the challenge game about 2-3 years ago? And I seem to recall SC won at TX not too long before that. Not sure what their rules or standards are for how often a rematch can happen.

Reaction Score
Didn't Baylor beat SC in the challenge game about 2-3 years ago? And I seem to recall SC won at TX not too long before that. Not sure what their rules or standards are for how often a rematch can happen.
I guess that's right. Baylor was at least I recall.

Reaction Score
No. It was the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands 2019.

SC won 74-59

Plebe

Reaction Score
No. It was the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands 2019.

SC won 74-59
Welcome to the board.

You must be thinking of a different season.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board.

You must be thinking of a different season.

Thank you. This was the one I was referring to. 2019

Reaction Score
2018 Baylor beat us like a drum at the beginning of the season and again at the end, ending our season. Was T’ea’s Baylor try-out. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom