OT: - Sea shanties | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sea shanties

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I s'pose it's only fair to pay homage to the second best college coach given his accomplishments this year.

Sure hope the best coach in college history, and his team, take up the mantel next month.

The X Seamens Institute - "Roll Alabama Roll" - YouTube

Roll UConn Roll !
I mean it isn't much of a stretch to do a sea song about Alabama football. After all the cheer is Roll Tide Roll! ;)

Reaction Score
For anyone still interested in Sea Chanteys and sea music in general, Mystic Seaport is the place to be this Saturday. My wife and I are planning on going. Got this email from Mystic Seaport. Normally this weekend would have been the Sea Music Festival at Mystic Seaport, but due to the pandemic, the event was never organized for this year.

>Albeit late, we are happy to announce that there will be live music throughout the day and an evening “Pub Sing” on June 12. Expect to see some familiar faces such as Don Sineti, Chris Koldewey, Geoff Kaufman, Barry Keenan, and David Littlefield. More information can be found by clicking here.

This event has been made possible by the generosity of a tremendously philanthropic donor and thus has been planned on much shorter notice than is usual for events at the Museum. We hope you can join us and enjoy the Museum’s grounds as we kick off the summer season.

Please understand that this is not the Sea Music Festival or Sea Music Festival “Lite.” Music inspired by the sea has been a part of the Museum far outside of one weekend in June and we are working to reintroduce it to our daily program and special events. There will always be a place for traditional sea music at the Museum as it is part of the American maritime experience, but please do not see this as an all or nothing equation. We will have a range of sea music offerings from traditional to more contemporary. It is important that we broaden our interpretation to welcome diverse styles and influences to the Museum and as a result bring more people to a place we all know and love.<​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is one from "Fisherman's Friends". They are featured in a 2019 movie that is currently available on NetFlix. My wife and I enjoyed the music immensely and she gifted me a recording of them entitled "One and All" for Christmas.

They are a group of Cornish Fisherman and the movie is based on actual events.

"In 1992, a group of Benedictine monks burned up the Billboard 200 charts with their album of Gregorian chants (titled Chant), and sold nearly six million copies worldwide. In 2010, a group of rugged fishermen carved out their own anachronistic moment in pop music lore, as the copyright-free folk songs sung by Fisherman's Friends placed them at the Top 10 charts in the UK. "

Reaction Score

HHH

Hartford Hall Husky
Reaction Score
Don't know much about sea shanties, but I do love me some Leslie West and Mountain, from whom I learned what a "Nantucket Sleighride" was:

Reaction Score
stan rogers has many, the mary ellen carter maybe his best. also gordon bok, isle au haut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom