OT: - Sea shanties | The Boneyard

OT: Sea shanties

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
"Soon may the Wellerman come" has taken the internet by storm - pun intended.

What's your favorite sea shanty?

PS nothing by The Beatles or Rolling Stones counts.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I came across a movie about the coast of Maine a couple of weeks ago. It was forgettable except that they cut to a guy singing chanties for no apparent reason several times. I recognized most of them, including this one:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when first read, i thought of the wreck of the edmond fitz, but i subsequently learned that 'sea shanty' is more of a seawork song. then i learned that this classic

is 'The first published description of the shanty is found in an account of an 1839 whaling voyage out of New London, Connecticut to the Pacific Ocean.' us again. figgers.
Drunken Sailor - Wikipedia
watch walt kronkites cpb 'Connecticut and The Sea.' awesomesauce.
iffn u don't live within smell range of low tide, u should move. lol.

Reaction Score
I first heard this one by a group by the name of "Fanigan's Isle" but I couldn't find their version. Here is Stan Rogers' version.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I distinctly get the feeling that some of may remember these shanties from our youth.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This one is a bit of a novelty performance by Steeleye Span. The lyrics are cleaned up, and Peter Sellers is on the ukelele.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
when first read, i thought of the wreck of the edmond fitz, but i subsequently learned that 'sea shanty' is more of a seawork song. then i learned that this classic

is 'The first published description of the shanty is found in an account of an 1839 whaling voyage out of New London, Connecticut to the Pacific Ocean.' us again. figgers.
Drunken Sailor - Wikipedia
watch walt kronkites cpb 'Connecticut and The Sea.' awesomesauce.
iffn u don't live within smell range of low tide, u should move. lol.

LOL! This brings back memories. I took a folk music course in college. We had guests about once a week, usually trad singers from the coast. One used Drunken Sailor as an example. Then a week later, another used Drunken Sailor as an example. Then a week or two ANOTHER started singing Drunken Sailor and the whole class cracked up. When we told him what was up, he got the joke and switched to another song.

Sea chanties are, of course, work songs. Another guy who spoke to us had lived with Leadbelly for a couple of years in Greenwich Village. He talked to us about chain gang songs, which are quite similar, and form the basis for a lot of songs attributed to Leadbelly.

Reaction Score
Oscar Brand (look him up - he was a folkie pioneer) did a collection of Bawdy Sea Shanties I remember from 60-plus years ago. My sister bought the album and we entertained ourselves endlessly.
Here's a link to the album but (as I;m chronically on Nan's list) I won't link any of the selections directly Bawdy Sea Shanties - Oscar Brand | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic Enjoy but you've been warned.

Reaction Score
Bono -A dying Sailor to his shipmates

From Rogue's Gallery - Pirates ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99