OT: Scotch thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
Chivas Regal Royal Salute. A real post Thanksgiving meal treat.

Reaction Score
Have we discussed at all why scotch prices have gone through the roof the past 4-5 years? Is it a cost to produce issue or more than demand has increased to the point where they can get inflated prices? I used to pay $50 in FL five years ago for McCallan 12, locally here it’s $90! What happened?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have we discussed at all why scotch prices have gone through the roof the past 4-5 years? Is it a cost to produce issue or more than demand has increased to the point where they can get inflated prices? I used to pay $50 in FL five years ago for McCallan 12, locally here it’s $90! What happened?

Macallan has very high demand. Like Lagavulin. Tariffs are also hitting. But the tariffs affect the stuff that sells fastest, like Mac 12 and Lagavulin 16. Suggest branching out. There is better stuff that won’t break the bank.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I picked up a 12 year Glenmorangie yesterday for $59, very solid. But even stuff like Glenfiddich that I used to pay as low as $26 for is $60 or more here. Nothing compares to scotch though in my opinion.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah. I picked up a 12 year Glenmorangie yesterday for $59, very solid. But even stuff like Glenfiddich that I used to pay as low as $26 for is $60 or more here. Nothing compares to scotch though in my opinion.

Wow. You’ve got high prices. Normal Glenmorangie 12 is about $40 here and Glenfiddich and GlenlIvet about $48. I can still find Talisker 10, Lagavulin 8 for $40. Oban Little Bay is a decent cheap bottle as well.

You might consider ordering from Europe. I’m a fan of finedrams.com. Know the owner a little.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you look at the article under that one about the Japanese whiskey....I really like the Nikka Coffey Grain.
I hope this is good. I just bought it on a whim out of disgust when I checked the price on Lagavulin 16 at my local and saw it was $99.

Reaction Score
I made my first trip to Total Wine since the pandemic began and as expected Lagavulin 16 is back to $90 after that lovely surprise a year ago when it was $60. Thankfully I bought several bottles and I'm good for a while but I'm sure we'll never see it that low again. I wish I bought a dozen bottles.

I picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12. I've never had it before but I need to work my way through all of the Islays and I never see Bunnahabhain in a bar. It's not a peat bomb by any means but it is surprisingly good. I've had a few glasses since I picked up the bottle and keep going back to it. At ~$50 it's something I'll keep stocked as it's a nice change from the usual Islays without straying too far (I know what I like, what can I say?). It's also good to have something solid to offer to scotch noobs who want to wet their beak without being scarred for life by jumping into something like Laphroaig.

Also, why on earth is Caol Ila 12 $70? It was one of my budget favorites at $40-$45 for a long time. I can't imagine Caol Ila is moving many bottles at that price point.

A regular rotation of Ardbeg 10, Laphroig Quarter Cask, Caol Ila 12, and Bunnabhain 12 is where I'd like to stay. Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigedail for special occasions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also, why on earth is Caol Ila 12 $70? It was one of my budget favorites at $40-$45 for a long time. I can't imagine Caol Ila is moving many bottles at that price point.
Yeah the Caol Ila 12 was $75 at the place I just saw the Lagavulin 16 for $99, and that pissed me off almost as much.

My problem is that I really like the Lagavulin 16 the best, so that's what I want. At this point I am ready to pay $80 for it--if I can find it that low.

Reaction Score
It's frustrating how much and how quickly prices fluctuate. I'd like it if single malts would stop behaving like cryptocurrencies!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hope this is good. I just bought it on a whim out of disgust when I checked the price on Lagavulin 16 at my local and saw it was $99.

Just go to Total Wine.

It varies store to store, but it’s never more than $90. (Usually 75-80 if I happen to be in New Jersey.)

For ten extra bucks, just do it.

Reaction Score
I made my first trip to Total Wine since the pandemic began and as expected Lagavulin 16 is back to $90 after that lovely surprise a year ago when it was $60. Thankfully I bought several bottles and I'm good for a while but I'm sure we'll never see it that low again. I wish I bought a dozen bottles.

I picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12. I've never had it before but I need to work my way through all of the Islays and I never see Bunnahabhain in a bar. It's not a peat bomb by any means but it is surprisingly good. I've had a few glasses since I picked up the bottle and keep going back to it. At ~$50 it's something I'll keep stocked as it's a nice change from the usual Islays without straying too far (I know what I like, what can I say?). It's also good to have something solid to offer to scotch noobs who want to wet their beak without being scarred for life by jumping into something like Laphroaig.

A regular rotation of Ardbeg 10, Laphroig Quarter Cask, Caol Ila 12, and Bunnabhain 12 is where I'd like to stay. Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg Uigedail for special occasions.
I’ve asked this recently myself, why has scotch gotten so insanely expensive? I realize now just how spoiled I was by Total Wine when I lived in Florida. No state mínimums there so always good deals. Wish I didn’t love scotch so much!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just go to Total Wine.

It varies store to store, but it’s never more than $90. (Usually 75-80 if I happen to be in New Jersey.)

For ten extra bucks, just do it.
At this point it has become a mission and a matter of stubbornness.

The nearest Total Wine is at least a half hour away and they have it for $90. This is the same store where I bought multiple bottles of it for $60 exactly one year ago.

On my way home last night I stopped at two more stores. One had it for $95 and the other had it for $92. I just checked the store where I had planned to stop today and they have it for $95, but their sister store a few miles in the other direction has it for $90 (actually $89.99, which may be enough for me to break).

I tried the Nikka Coffey Grain last night. Nice. Sweet. Reminds me more of good Irish whiskey.
Here ya go, you'll have it next Wednesday!
Nice, but it's another $16 in taxes plus $18 for shipping.

Reaction Score
I’ve asked this recently myself, why has scotch gotten so insanely expensive? I realize now just how spoiled I was by Total Wine when I lived in Florida. No state mínimums there so always good deals. Wish I didn’t love scotch so much!
Down here in South Florida, Total Wine prices are $109.99 and up for Lagavulin -- 16 yr - $109.99, 11 yr - $129.99 (!?), Distillers Edition - $129.99. I haven't found a good deal down here in years. :(

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s basically supply and demand.

People will pay $85-90 for it, so that is what it costs.

Expecting the price to drop ‘just because’ feels like a waste of time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s basically supply and demand.

People will pay $85-90 for it, so that is what it costs.

Expecting the price to drop ‘just because’ feels like a waste of time.
But nothing has changed in that regard for the past few years, and yet it still drops sometimes at some places for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying it's rational to hold out for a lower price, but I probably derive an irrational amount of satisfication from finding one--even if I spend the difference in the process.

Reaction Score
Down here in South Florida, Total Wine prices are $109.99 and up for Lagavulin -- 16 yr - $109.99, 11 yr - $129.99 (!?), Distillers Edition - $129.99. I haven't found a good deal down here in years. :(
Yeah, things must have changed. I’m going back to 2014 or so. Too bad.

Reaction Score
At the 2020 Int'l Whisky Competition..#1 Whisky of the Year.. Scoring 96.4 pts out of 100.. Was Dewars Double Double 32 yr old.. That's a blend beating all single malts tasted.... Two other categories at same competition.. "Top Blended Scotch".. They were #1.. Their 27 Yr old was #2..Their 25 yr old was #3.. Same rankings in the category of "Best Blend over 25 yrs old". 32 year old is definitely a "pay check night" purchase.. Check it out..

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not scotch per se, but going back to that bottle of Kavalan Select that's horrible straight up but a solid mixer, I wanted to expand my repertoire, so going back to the ancients, I found a recipe for a Saratoga. I was at the end of my Martell, so next trip to the PLCB included purchase of a $25 bottle of Chalfonte cognac, which was a new label to me. It's really quite good, and exceptional for the price. Also expect to be using it with eggnog, and it's great for that old cureall of brandy/lemon/honey if you've got a cold, lol.

Reaction Score
Scotch was part of the European tariff package last year. I believe French wine also.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But nothing has changed in that regard for the past few years, and yet it still drops sometimes at some places for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying it's rational to hold out for a lower price, but I probably derive an irrational amount of satisfication from finding one--even if I spend the difference in the process.

Tariffs have changed. Nothing is going down. Very popular options like Lagavulin 16 sold out of pre tariff stock faster. It’s a terrible buy at this point. Here in MA we have some of the lowest prices nationally, I’ve begun to stockpile some bottles that I know are at the pre-tariff prices. I can still get Lagavulin 8 at $40, where it’s about $70 nationally. Same with Talisker 10.

It is a great time to branch out and try some different things.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not scotch per se, but going back to that bottle of Kavalan Select that's horrible straight up but a solid mixer, I wanted to expand my repertoire, so going back to the ancients, I found a recipe for a Saratoga. I was at the end of my Martell, so next trip to the PLCB included purchase of a $25 bottle of Chalfonte cognac, which was a new label to me. It's really quite good, and exceptional for the price. Also expect to be using it with eggnog, and it's great for that old cureall of brandy/lemon/honey if you've got a cold, lol.

My Cognac arrived from Denmark. This was the first time I was part of a barrel selecting team for this Cognac and Armagnac. We also picked one from 1945 (only 60 bottles). But that was just too pricey for me. The Lot 72 has still been in the barrel for 48 years.

15DA48A9-B676-4020-B3FE-6F3D7F0B77F6.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I found the Lagavulin 16 for $89 last week and sucked it up and bought it.

And then I bought an Ardbeg An Oa, which I’ve also been enjoying.

I have continued to like the Nikka Coffey Grain a lot; I have described it as sucking on a 90-proof sea salt caramel.

But today I grabbed a bottle of this and it I really love it:

nikka_from_the_barrel_750_ml_2000x.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I found the Lagavulin 16 for $89 last week and sucked it up and bought it.

And then I bought an Ardbeg An Oa, which I’ve also been enjoying.

I have continued to like the Nikka Coffey Grain a lot; I have described it as sucking on a 90-proof sea salt caramel.

But today I grabbed a bottle of this and it I really love it:

nikka_from_the_barrel_750_ml_2000x.jpg

Nice choice. That's the best "reasonably priced" Japanese Whisky left. They started selling it in the U.S. in 2018. People used to get it overseas. It's too bad most of the other Japanese stuff is so crazy expensive now. The only other one I think is good at it's price is Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak Whisky (kaiyowhisky.com) The regular one has a fantastic nose from the Mizunara oak. It's a teaspooned whisky, but has been confirmed as Japanese distilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom