OT: Scotch thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
Scotch in CT has gotten so expensive but when I was buying regularly, McCallan 12 was a clear go to. Tried the 15 but couldn’t taste a difference. I’ll have to try the 18 one day. Can never go wrong with McCallan in my opinion.

Scotch is funny - I just don't take to McCallan - I serve it to guests when I get it as a gift - doesn't do anything for me.

Reaction Score
I was a huge scotch fan, especially Islays. Ardbeg, Laphraiog, and all the rest.

I find myself not enjoying it too much anymore, or even whiskey, but much preferring a quality, aged tequila. Casamigos Anejo is my current go to. Anyone else enjoy a glass of tequila over scotch?

Yeah, although (like everyone else) I found myself switching to mezcal in the last few years. I'll drink bourbon on occasion but have not developed a taste for scotch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, although (like everyone else) I found myself switching to mezcal in the last few years. I'll drink bourbon on occasion but have not developed a taste for scotch.

Mezcal >>>>> Tequila. What I’ve really turned to is Rum and Armagnac. Even Calvados.

Reaction Score
I go in phases. Bourbon is my starting point. I was a Macallan guy, but I came to realize that what I liked about it was features that were closer to bourbon. I've come to enjoy quality (doesn't have to be super high quality, just not garbage) tequila of late. My wife likes Mezcal, I have to acquire the smoke taste. I'll also incorporate some gin sometimes.

I had a big party in March 2018. I bought the alcohol on retainer but the bartenders opened too many bottles. I tried to buy decent stuff that I'd be fine keeping (bottle of Macallan 12, Bulleit Bourbon, Patron Silver/Anejo, Hendicks gin, Titos Vodka). The one thing I didn't care about was rum. I even brought a half bottle of Bacardi for them to use first. For some reason, the bartender opened the other bottle of Bacardi that I bought so I couldn't return it. The other stuff will go over time (or when my kids start to sneak it), but that Bacardi will be around until I die.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I bought a bottle of mezcal a few weeks ago, figuring I was a huge scotch fan, and love tequila now. I was underwhelmed. I thought it was fine, but I'd rather have a scotch or a tequila on their own, rather than their weird basterd son

Reaction Score
Was looking for lagavulin 16 for a gift but it's sold out everywhere or $90. Ended up getting it at total wine in Manchester for $64 today

Was told unless a store has it there no inventory to even order it until after the new year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was looking for lagavulin 16 for a gift but it's sold out everywhere or $90. Ended up getting it at total wine in Manchester for $64 today

Was told unless a store has it there no inventory to even order it until after the new year
Wow. I got four bottles for $60 per at Total Wine in Milford on the day before Thanksgiving. I thought it was strange that I haven’t seen any at Coastal in Branford the two times I’ve been there since.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

hey, I could've gotten you all you wanted for $92 plus shipping ;)

glad my brother brought two $62 bottles with him from CT for T-day.

Reaction Score
Just ceacke a bottle of ye-ole Clenf. Tasted 'different'. Is that typ of brand scotch? Usually drink JWbalck, MecCl 12. But mostly burbon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Lagavulin 16 is so damn good. Now I wish I bought even more at $60. Saw it at my local yesterday for $90. I still don’t understand the reason for the price differential.

Oh, and one of my daughters got me these cool large ice sphere molds for Christmas. Loving the massive ice ball. Melts much slower than cubes and adds a nice chill.

Reaction Score
Looking for some input, so cirlcling back to above post. Typ drink JWB and Macallan 12. Used to drink Cutty way back for the 'smoky' taste'. Received bottle of Glenfiddich 12. This tastes noticeably 'different'. Is this indicative of other single malt? or is this a wierd taste brand since I don't thnk it was mentioned in thread?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Looking for some input, so cirlcling back to above post. Typ drink JWB and Macallan 12. Used to drink Cutty way back for the 'smoky' taste'. Received bottle of Glenfiddich 12. This tastes noticeably 'different'. Is this indicative of other single malt? or is this a wierd taste brand since I don't thnk it was mentioned in thread?

There is no indicative really. Glenfiddich is a mild, ex-bourbon barrel aged unpeated (no smoke) single malt from Speyside. It's fairly "clean" meaning it's not very funky and uses a clean yeast. Just as Belgian beer (for example) takes flavor from yeast, so does distillate. It has a lot of what I'd call cereal notes and a bit of apple.

Macallan 12 is from the same region and is made similarly except that it generally uses at least some ex-sherry casks and not all ex-bourbon casks. That gives it a different profile. If you like that look for other sherry cask malts. I can offer suggestions.

If you like the smoke, that will mostly come from Islay malts, and other "Island" malts (but not entirely).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Lagavulin 16 is so damn good. Now I wish I bought even more at $60. Saw it at my local yesterday for $90. I still don’t understand the reason for the price differential.

Oh, and one of my daughters got me these cool large ice sphere molds for Christmas. Loving the massive ice ball. Melts much slower than cubes and adds a nice chill.

It's stupid priced every since Parks and Rec made it extra popular. $60 is a solid price for it. $75 is too high in my opinion and $90 is crazy. The Lagavulin 8 is now regularly $40-45 and is pretty good.

I've got a big death star ice mold but I stopped using ice at all a few years ago. Sometimes I'll break that out in the summer.

Reaction Score
I've got a big death star ice mold but I stopped using ice at all a few years ago. Sometimes I'll break that out in the summer.

Agree or disagree: The best invention for scotch (bourbon, etc.) is the rocks that you put in the freezer for your drinks to get cold, but not watered down. I mean, however, it's the best invention for the inventors to make money for selling... rocks. They priced and marketed them perfectly for them to be given as Christmas, Hanukkah, Father's Day, Birthday presents. I've never seen anyone actually use them. I gave mine to my 3 year old nephew who "collects rocks."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree or disagree: The best invention for scotch (bourbon, etc.) is the rocks that you put in the freezer for your drinks to get cold, but not watered down. I mean, however, it's the best invention for the inventors to make money for selling... rocks. They priced and marketed them perfectly for them to be given as Christmas, Hanukkah, Father's Day, Birthday presents. I've never seen anyone actually use them. I gave mine to my 3 year old nephew who "collects rocks."

Worst invention ever. Everybody on the bourbon and Scotch groups I'm in hates them. They are considered the worst whiskey enthusiast holiday gift. Not sure why booze needs to be cool anyway, that reduces flavor. It should be roughly at the temperature of red wine. Plus they can slide and break your teeth.

That said, we have the soapstone rocks in the freezer and my wife likes them in white wine. That seems a better application to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is the Scotch thread, but this just arrived at my house yesterday and it's excellent; I think most whiskey drinkers would like it--even those who don't typically like Irish whiskey.

94487679_278630230186968_9049303871410667520_o.jpg

Reaction Score
Just rediscovered this thread.

OMG, Lagavulin 16 for $60 ?!?! It's my favorite, but I've never seen it anywhere for less than $88. Just checked out the price down here (infamous Broward Cty, FL) at a major chain -- $112.99 !!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

OMG, Lagavulin 16 for $60 ?!?! It's my favorite, but I've never seen it anywhere for less than $88. Just checked out the price down here (infamous Broward Cty, FL) at a major chain -- $112.99 !!

I bought Lagavulin 8 for $40 recently. Great buy at that price. It doesn't have as much age, but is higher proof, and a little more punchy on the peat side.

Got an Exclusive Regions Speyside sherry cask bottle as well (not labeled but mine is Glentauchers). Really solid sherried Scotch for $55. The independent bottler that made it is gone now, so if you see any, they won't be available for ever. Great values across the range.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is the Scotch thread, but this just arrived at my house yesterday and it's excellent; I think most whiskey drinkers would like it--even those who don't typically like Irish whiskey.

94487679_278630230186968_9049303871410667520_o.jpg

Very cool. This one is aged in a NEBCO stout barrel? I see that they did one with Fuzzy Baby Ducks too. Very nice to see that 50.2% on the label. The bane of Irish whiskey is that it's triple distilled, which saps some character and then usually 40% meaning it just lacks any real character.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Sadly that price is gone and it’s jacked up everywhere again here. I’ve settled on the Nick Offerman 11 year reserve edition, which I believe I paid around $70 for. I like it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sadly that price is gone and it’s jacked up everywhere again here. I’ve settled on the Nick Offerman 11 year reserve edition, which I believe I paid around $70 for. I like it.

What other peated Scotches do you like? Lagavulin is generally the priciest of the bunch. I don't know if you are on Reddit, but my reviews are on r/scotch (and r/bourbon).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Very cool. This one is aged in a NEBCO stout barrel? I see that they did one with Fuzzy Baby Ducks too. Very nice to see that 50.2% on the label. The bane of Irish whiskey is that it's triple distilled, which saps some character and then usually 40% meaning it just lacks any real character.
Yes. From what I gather it's aged in a bourbon barrel that is "finished" with NEBCO's Imperial Stout Trooper. I don't love the nose on most Irish whiskeys except for Pure Pot Stills like Green Spot, Redbreast or Powers, and this has a bit of the nose I don't love, but once you taste it is anything but. Lots of character and you don't taste the 50.2%; I was shocked when I saw that. Very deceptive and very warming. I have not tried the FBD one.

What other peated Scotches do you like? Lagavulin is generally the priciest of the bunch. I don't know if you are on Reddit, but my reviews are on r/scotch (and r/bourbon).
You helped me with a bunch in that taste profile upthread and I tried and liked them all; I had settled on Caol Ila but now am back on Lagavulin after grabbing those $60 bottles of the 16 year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes. From what I gather it's aged in a bourbon barrel that is "finished" with NEBCO's Imperial Stout Trooper. I don't love the nose on most Irish whiskeys except for Pure Pot Stills like Green Spot, Redbreast or Powers, and this has a bit of the nose I don't love, but once you taste it is anything but. Lots of character and you don't taste the 50.2%; I was shocked when I saw that. Very deceptive and very warming. I have not tried the FBD one.

You helped me with a bunch in that taste profile upthread and I tried and liked them all; I had settled on Caol Ila but now am back on Lagavulin after grabbing those $60 bottles of the 16 year.

I had a stout finished Irish whiskey from Glendalough that I rather liked. It had a certain creamy element that made it interesting.

Yeah, I was going to suggest the peated Bruichladdich, which I quite like. I'm not usually a Laphroaig man, but the Triple Wood was pretty decent (and is cheap).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom