OT: Scotch thread | Page 30 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
Little bit of the Irish on a whiskey Wednesday

20221012_191934.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since we are doing Sherry cask Irish (I just had PX Laphroaig Cairdeas)
For sherry matured whiskey, this is the best bargain I’ve seen since Glendronach 12 was cheap. Picked it up for $45, and they used some wet sherry casks here. Quite a nice sherry bomb. The regular bottle is solid cheap Irish as well.

BF50FBC0-5D6B-4BD6-96DD-F95983920C66.jpeg

Reaction Score
Since we are doing Sherry cask Irish (I just had PX Laphroaig Cairdeas)
For sherry matured whiskey, this is the best bargain I’ve seen since Glendronach 12 was cheap. Picked it up for $45, and they used some wet sherry casks here. Quite a nice sherry bomb. The regular bottle is solid cheap Irish as well.

View attachment 79735

Not one I have spotted in stores. I will have to keep a lookout for it. The RB was a good bit more price wise. And it did not disappoint. But still a bit too expensive honestly. Super sweet sherry monster, its aged in bourbon and oloroso casks and then finished in PX. Its like a Xmas cake, think fruit cake but not that crap you get in stores. And this good and plenty sweet licorice note. Really interesting stuff. Very crushable at 46% ABV.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not one I have spotted in stores. I will have to keep a lookout for it. The RB was a good bit more price wise. And it did not disappoint. But still a bit too expensive honestly. Super sweet sherry monster, its aged in bourbon and oloroso casks and then finished in PX. Its like a Xmas cake, think fruit cake but not that crap you get in stores. And this good and plenty sweet licorice note. Really interesting stuff. Very crushable at 46% ABV.
The McConnell's is more dry, no PX, all Oloroso or other dry sherry would be my guess. But it scratches that itch for a lot less $. I assumed it would use old tired casks, but was surprised.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My new order arrived. All on sale. Tobermory is the one I’m excited for.
849039FD-1D06-4AE6-B47E-F0CE61EFC652.jpeg

Reaction Score
Had a big old country boy stop in at my weekend gig ( liquor store in South Carolina ) and he siddles over to the single malts and says " This here La Frog is supposed to be real good" . I didnt bother to correct him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If you are a fan of first fill bourbon single malts, get this one above. I paid $67 + tax and its worth every penny. Simply delicious stuff.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you are a fan of first fill bourbon single malts, get this one above. I paid $67 + tax and its worth every penny. Simply delicious stuff.
It's not usually my thing, but I do like to always have one around. I can't recall if I've had the Balblair.

Reaction Score
It's not usually my thing, but I do like to always have one around. I can't recall if I've had the Balblair.

They stupidly changed their packaging a couple years ago. Its a classic highland malt. Hits all the buttons honestly, sweet, sour, bitter, savory. Plenty of fruit and honey, barley sugars, raisins. Really nice malt at the price. You go in for the more smoky stuff usually?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They stupidly changed their packaging a couple years ago. Its a classic highland malt. Hits all the buttons honestly, sweet, sour, bitter, savory. Plenty of fruit and honey, barley sugars, raisins. Really nice malt at the price. You go in for the more smoky stuff usually?
I like sherry and wine cask stuff the most. Smoky sometimes, not always. The ex-bourbon stuff I like most has been "funky" (maybe that's "Savory"), Springbank, Tobermory, and some similar offerings. The super clean ex-bourbon stuff that is loved by the masses (often Speyside) isn't my favorite.

Reaction Score
I like sherry and wine cask stuff the most. Smoky sometimes, not always. The ex-bourbon stuff I like most has been "funky" (maybe that's "Savory"), Springbank, Tobermory, and some similar offerings. The super clean ex-bourbon stuff that is loved by the masses (often Speyside) isn't my favorite.

I feel that, I am a total sherry lover myself. This isnt really much of a Spey type honestly. If you can find a pal with some or at a local place, give it a go.

Reaction Score
Sorry in advance if this topic has already been addressed. I don’t feel like reading 30 pages. Drinking Johnnie Walker Blue while I watch Tennessee-Georgia. It clearly is excellent for a number of reasons, but is it worth the cost? Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
Sorry in advance if this topic has already been addressed. I don’t feel like reading 30 pages. Drinking Johnnie Walker Blue while I watch Tennessee-Georgia. It clearly is excellent for a number of reasons, but is it worth the cost? Any thoughts?

Nope, not to me. But, that is what makes whisky cool. Plenty of things for everyone to enjoy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No. Not worth half the cost. Honestly, I find it pretty boring. There are a lot of core level single malts that I think are better. But I’m clearly not the target audience for it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No. Not worth half the cost. Honestly, I find it pretty boring. There are a lot of core level single malts that I think are better. But I’m clearly not the target audience for it.
To clarify this, because it may come off wrong. It doesn't matter the spirit type, but there is a huge market for "smooth", essentially booze that is really easy to drink, mellow, soft and which doesn't hit you over the head with the reality that you're drinking a high abv product. Johnnie Walker Blue is the king of that. So if you want that, you'll probably like it. For the record, Platinum is almost the same to me, and is a lot cheaper. Green is the JW I like best. Black is tolerable, but overpriced (marketing $). Red is undrinkable swill.

There are bourbons in this category, like Basil Hayden. I don't get it, but I know folks who love it. Sazerac rye is as mild as rye gets (and is still pretty good). I'd say most Irish whiskey emphasizes "smooth", they are only now producing some things with a bit more assertive flavor profiles. Triple distilling removes some of the more aggressive notes. Rum is all over the map, it's too complicated a category. Cognac sold in the U.S. is mostly in the "smooth" category. A lot of easier to consume products cover the lack of aging with sugar. Southern Comfort, Fireball, and everything else like that. Some rums do that as well, be careful buying rum. Gag me with a spoon.

Long story short, if you really like Blue, try Platinum. It has an 18 year age statement and should scratch the same itch.

Reaction Score
To clarify this, because it may come off wrong. It doesn't matter the spirit type, but there is a huge market for "smooth", essentially booze that is really easy to drink, mellow, soft and which doesn't hit you over the head with the reality that you're drinking a high abv product. Johnnie Walker Blue is the king of that. So if you want that, you'll probably like it. For the record, Platinum is almost the same to me, and is a lot cheaper. Green is the JW I like best. Black is tolerable, but overpriced (marketing $). Red is undrinkable swill.

There are bourbons in this category, like Basil Hayden. I don't get it, but I know folks who love it. Sazerac rye is as mild as rye gets (and is still pretty good). I'd say most Irish whiskey emphasizes "smooth", they are only now producing some things with a bit more assertive flavor profiles. Triple distilling removes some of the more aggressive notes. Rum is all over the map, it's too complicated a category. Cognac sold in the U.S. is mostly in the "smooth" category. A lot of easier to consume products cover the lack of aging with sugar. Southern Comfort, Fireball, and everything else like that. Some rums do that as well, be careful buying rum. Gag me with a spoon.

Long story short, if you really like Blue, try Platinum. It has an 18 year age statement and should scratch the same itch.

Liked for the 80's Valley Girl drop in before the end.

I agree and would add for some its like a status thing ( NOT including you in that Punkbo ). You can swing that high dollar bottle, it impresses some folks. I tasted one of their special releases, something called the Legendary Eight. Its like $450 a bottle or some nonsense. It was fine, nothing to write home about and no where near worth that silly price. But this guy is a JW chaser, he has them ALL. And for him, its like trophy big game hunting. They sit on his bar all pretty and lined up and looks lovely. And all taste meh.

You use the smooth word, and that sort of nails it. And I hate that word for spirit. Its booze, it shouldnt be smooth. BH is bourbon with training wheels. Its a good place to start folks off who are new, it looks nice in the bottle, and its super easy to sip neat and get your bearings. It gets boring pretty fast though and is sort of priced silly. Irish to me is pretty simple for the most part, most of its low ABV and as you point out the process takes out some of the rough nature of spirits. For a real treat the Redbreast 12yo Cask Strength is some magic stuff, just delicious. And that PX I posted above is amazing whiskey if you like a sherry finish.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the Blue either. I'd much rather have the Green at 1/4 of the price, but that's just my taste.

Being a fan of JW Green and Frank Zappa, I could have written this post nearly word-for-word. Green is far and away the most flavorful of all the JWs, and a lovely Scotch. I agree that Red is undrinkable, just horrible. Black and Double Black will work in a pinch. Gold I just can't fathom. I find it extremely bland at room temperature and when a Scotch is marketed as a beverage you put in the freezer, it's not worth the price of the water it was made from. For the record, I was given a bottle of Blue for my 50th a few years back and I save it for company. It has a huge "WOW" factor and I don't have to worry about people asking if they can add ginger ale to Laphroaig.

Reaction Score
Liked for the 80's Valley Girl drop in before the end.

I agree and would add for some its like a status thing ( NOT including you in that Punkbo ). You can swing that high dollar bottle, it impresses some folks. I tasted one of their special releases, something called the Legendary Eight. Its like $450 a bottle or some nonsense. It was fine, nothing to write home about and no where near worth that silly price. But this guy is a JW chaser, he has them ALL. And for him, its like trophy big game hunting. They sit on his bar all pretty and lined up and looks lovely. And all taste meh.

You use the smooth word, and that sort of nails it. And I hate that word for spirit. Its booze, it shouldnt be smooth. BH is bourbon with training wheels. Its a good place to start folks off who are new, it looks nice in the bottle, and its super easy to sip neat and get your bearings. It gets boring pretty fast though and is sort of priced silly. Irish to me is pretty simple for the most part, most of its low ABV and as you point out the process takes out some of the rough nature of spirits. For a real treat the Redbreast 12yo Cask Strength is some magic stuff, just delicious. And that PX I posted above is amazing whiskey if you like a sherry finish.
Thanks @Deepelm. No offense taken. I drink what I’m given. I currently have two bottles of Blue which were gifted to me. I also have some bourbon which I received as gifts. It would be great to get input from the experts as to which bottles I should prioritize:

Maker’s Mark
Maker’s Mark 46
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Four Roses Small Batch
Bower Hill Single Barrel

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads