OT: Scotch thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Things like that are just more interesting to me these days. Do something different.

A local distillery has a cooper on staff making their own barrels. After aging, the bourbon does into a black walnut syrup barrel….sounds kinda weird, but outside, sitting next to a fire, it works.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Things like that are just more interesting to me these days. Do something different.

A local distillery has a cooper on staff making their own barrels. After aging, the bourbon does into a black walnut syrup barrel….sounds kinda weird, but outside, sitting next to a fire, it works.

Well then you may want to check out Seelbach's. Unlocking Craft Spirits - Online retail dedicated to craft distillers – Seelbach's (seelbachs.com) I've ordered from them several times. Free shipping on 1st order over $100 (and there are codes to continue that later). All craft stuff from around the country, and a lot of it is creative things like you're describing. It's where I got that Bull Run Rye.

Reaction Score

Actually sounds interesting.

Reaction Score
Am a Mezcal rookie that just received a "gift" of three bottles of Ilegal Joven Mezcal Special Edition. Reviews are varied. Anyone with any familiarity with this producer?

Mixer for cocktails/Margs or a sipper? Have more experience with Anejo/Cristalino

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Am a Mezcal rookie that just received a "gift" of three bottles of Ilegal Joven Mezcal Special Edition. Reviews are varied. Anyone with any familiarity with this producer?

Mixer for cocktails/Margs or a sipper? Have more experience with Anejo/Cristalino
That was the first bottle I bought because it mentioned that it was smoky. It is. I liked it as a mixer. I remember reading some reviews where people thought the smoke tasted too chemical; I didn’t think so, but I was (and still pretty much am) a Mezcal rookie, too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well then you may want to check out Seelbach's. Unlocking Craft Spirits - Online retail dedicated to craft distillers – Seelbach's (seelbachs.com) I've ordered from them several times. Free shipping on 1st order over $100 (and there are codes to continue that later). All craft stuff from around the country, and a lot of it is creative things like you're describing. It's where I got that Bull Run Rye.
What whiskies have you tried that aren't categorized as either bourbon or rye?

Some of the "malt whiskies" sound interesting, but I'm having a hard time figuring out just what they are. I'm really not interested in bourbon or rye at this point as I use those only for mixing. Looking for some new sippers.

The Rua sounds intriguing. Couple of the single malts might be worth exploring due to the low price point (Tualatin Valley, Tire Fire, Rimfire). Even some of the Amari seem interesting.

I swear the Good Deeds Malt Whiskey flavor note descriptions were taken off notes from a coffee cupping I did with Intelligentsia in Chicago back in 2008, lol.

However, truffle vodka sounds disgusting, lol.

Reaction Score
That was the first bottle I bought because it mentioned that it was smoky. It is. I liked it as a mixer. I remember reading some reviews where people thought the smoke tasted too chemical; I didn’t think so, but I was (and still pretty much am) a Mezcal rookie, too.
Good to know.FWIW..Once I got into the gift box with more enthusiasm --I had actually received the Reposado and Anejo bottles vs three Jovens.

Received from a Miami biz associate who says its pretty popular down that way.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What whiskies have you tried that aren't categorized as either bourbon or rye?

Some of the "malt whiskies" sound interesting, but I'm having a hard time figuring out just what they are. I'm really not interested in bourbon or rye at this point as I use those only for mixing. Looking for some new sippers.

The Rua sounds intriguing. Couple of the single malts might be worth exploring due to the low price point (Tualatin Valley, Tire Fire, Rimfire). Even some of the Amari seem interesting.

I swear the Good Deeds Malt Whiskey flavor note descriptions were taken off notes from a coffee cupping I did with Intelligentsia in Chicago back in 2008, lol.

However, truffle vodka sounds disgusting, lol.

Quite a lot. That Dovetail (Barrell) Fishy bought is one. There are many American Malts now, including the best known from Westland, Balcones, Virginia and Stranahans. All in PA. There are also corn whiskies (Mellow Corn, Baby Blue from Balcones). Mellow Corn is the best $12 whiskey you'll ever find...not that it's good. Light whiskey is another category.

Rua is still a bit young. The real challenge is age, and while young bourbon picks up wet cardboard notes, young American malt really picks up wet cardboard notes, especially if they put in smaller barrels to speed it up. It gets mixed reviews.

The Chattanooga bourbon is "high malt", really quite nice but still technically a bourbon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Some comedy

242160170_1282643558862032_1370305231041830766_n.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not Scotch, bourbon instead, but I'm buying a bottle from Greens Farms Spirits in Westport. They are working with the R/Bourbon Reddit guys I know who pick barrels and I decided to snag one (lottery allocated). If I was local I'd go pick it up. Have you guys been there? Looks like it might have a nice Scotch selection.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Not Scotch, bourbon instead, but I'm buying a bottle from Greens Farms Spirits in Westport. They are working with the R/Bourbon Reddit guys I know who pick barrels and I decided to snag one (lottery allocated). If I was local I'd go pick it up. Have you guys been there? Looks like it might have a nice Scotch selection.
I haven't been there in a while, my son in law worked there in college! It's a couple of miles down the post road from my offie so maybe I'll swing by! Ninety Nine Bottles in Westport used to get a lot of specialty whiskies - they keep the specials hidden. My b-i-l bought three bottles of AM Hirsch in humidors there a few years ago.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Trying something different tonight.

I keep trying to make bourbon happen for me, so breaking open a bottle of Old Forester 1920.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I keep trying to make bourbon happen for me, so breaking open a bottle of Old Forester 1920.

That’s a very good bourbon but also near barrel proof. Some air time will help it. I find BP bourbons need oxidation like some wines.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My cousin is a bourbon drinker and he was over for dinner last night. He loved the Breckinridge Rum Cask; it was a great nightcap.

A client gave me a bottle of Woodford Reserve last year and I haven't made a dent in it because it's not my taste, but it's one of his go-tos so I sent him home with it. Even though it was merely one of dozens of bottles in my liquor cabinet, I feel oddly relieved that it has found a proper home with someone who will enjoy it.

Reaction Score
My cousin is a bourbon drinker and he was over for dinner last night. He loved the Breckinridge Rum Cask; it was a great nightcap.

A client gave me a bottle of Woodford Reserve last year and I haven't made a dent in it because it's not my taste, but it's one of his go-tos so I sent him home with it. Even though it was merely one of dozens of bottles in my liquor cabinet, I feel oddly relieved that it has found a proper home with someone who will enjoy it.

Folks love that Woodford, especially their double oak. It did nothing for me either, very meh.

Reaction Score

So what was the verdict? I have tried the 86 but was thoroughly unimpressed.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I bought a Kilchoman 2010 recently. Thought it was sherry cask and was wrong. It’s good, but the peat is sharp and not at all subtle. They are a younger Islay distillery so getting a 10+ year bottle appealed. I may just add some red wine as I drink this. It will probably be amazing.

If you haven’t tried that. It works. Instead of water, a bit of wine. Give it a shot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
New bottle tonight - Barrell Seagrass.

It’s nuts.
Barrell Seagrass is an ode to coastal memories, blended to evoke the joy of a day on the beach and an evening listening to the soothing rhythm of waves.

Reaction Score
20211221_210152.jpg

If you like them sherried and sweet, grab this. Its like a glass of candy. Perfect after dinner dram.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Barrell Seagrass is an ode to coastal memories, blended to evoke the joy of a day on the beach and an evening listening to the soothing rhythm of waves.

lol…I kinda saw that and thought, wut? I also saw it described as a “crushable” summer whiskey.….it’s 118 proof. The only thing getting crushed there is you there.
Been wanting to try it buy my wallet always objects. Thats a $100 bottle where I am. But I have never heard a bad review on it.

Generally, 90-something here, but if anyone is in Connecticut and like Barrell whiskeys, the place next to the Danbury airport always carries the collection at a great price - $72 for this one.

It’s apricot initially, then rum and then rye at the end. Pretty good. I shall drink it by the shores of the Atlantic and remember memories of shores gone by.

Reaction Score
Look at that color!

Right? Its natural too. Completely nuts color and flavor. I just took note of the date and batch so when I go back I can try and get more of same. Though I trust the master blender for this place so its likely all going to be good. It drinks no where near 92 proof, and tastes like some stock may be older than 12. Billy Walker did something similar with stock with the older Glendronachs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom