OT: Scotch thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just got back to Pgh from CT. Both BevMax and Caraluzzi's were out of Laga 16 with no idea when they'd get more. If I had more time I would've checked in at Total Wine, but didn't. So I bought a Laga 9 Lannister at the latter and an Ardbeg An Oa at the former (which was also out of Uigeadail}, both of which I can't get at my local state monopoly store. I cracked open the An Oa and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, given it's a "weaker" Ardbeg. It seems I have the exact same palate as @8893. Also picked up a bottle of Prairie gin, Alacran Joven, and my usual Zu, none of which are on the shelves here. And a six of Schaefer ;-)

Neither you or @8893 seem to be "proof whores". An Oa has some sherry cask influence, but when I tried it, it seemed very tame on the sherry. It's like a milder, older more polished version of Wee Beastie. Glad you got some stuff out of state. Western PA seems even more challenged than eastern PA, which has NJ access. Does PA still have the horrific rule about buying a whole case of beer instead of a six pack? That's the single dumbest liquor law I've ever encountered.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Neither you or @8893 seem to be "proof whores". An Oa has some sherry cask influence, but when I tried it, it seemed very tame on the sherry. It's like a milder, older more polished version of Wee Beastie. Glad you got some stuff out of state. Western PA seems even more challenged than eastern PA, which has NJ access. Does PA still have the horrific rule about buying a whole case of beer instead of a six pack? That's the single dumbest liquor law I've ever encountered.
Thankfully the beer laws were liberalized awhile ago. You used to have to go to a bar in order to buy a six, but now most supermarket chains and many convenience stores have beer licenses and can sell six packs (but no more than 15 beers in one purchase). You still need to go to a distributors for cases.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gotta say, the Alarcan makes a great sub for vodka in a Moscow Mule. The bit of smokiness is welcome.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gotta say, the Alarcan makes a great sub for vodka in a Moscow Mule. The bit of smokiness is welcome.

I've not seen that. Appears to be one of the more mass produced Mezcals from a tequila company. Those still make decent mixers. Alacrán Joven - Tasting notes | Mezcal Reviews Those don't usually have the interesting complexity of the artisanal mezcals neat.

@8893 have you tried any of yours neat?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've not seen that. Appears to be one of the more mass produced Mezcals from a tequila company. Those still make decent mixers. Alacrán Joven - Tasting notes | Mezcal Reviews Those don't usually have the interesting complexity of the artisanal mezcals neat.

@8893 have you tried any of yours neat?
Not yet. Haven't had the hankering. Been rotating among my Scotches mostly of late.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not even going to try to pretend I know anything on the subject. Even when I lived in MX 25 years ago, I didn't have a lot of exposure to Mezcal, although I tried well over two dozen different tequilas, many not available in the US and some produced in a basement or backyard. Tequila and mezcal had their place (much like vodka was everywhere when I lived in Sofia) and once I got back to the US, I never really sought either out.

That said, it's 10am and just to offer something to the conversation, I poured a shot to see if it's something I'd sip. Probably not. It's smoother than mass produced tequila, it's actually more fruity than smoky or funky, In the nose, I'm finding some pineapple, citrus and even cherry, along with fermented cabbage, saddle leather and Swisher Sweets. In tasting, the pineapple still comes through, the cherry is more like a pipe tobacco, there's a hint of cardamom, and a decent alcohol burn. It's not something that sits on the tongue for long, nor does it significantly develop new notes on second or third sips. So it's not complex.

I've had more interesting reposado tequilas, and I can't see it as something I'd think of as a first or even second option as a sipping booze. I'd probably keep it next to the bourbon as something I'd readily use as a mixer but have little interest in drinking straight. And I'm going to guess my answer would be the same for the entire Mezcal category. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be interested in a tasting of "good" ones if I ever had the opportunity. But this being PA, that opportunity isn't going to happen as there's simply no mezcal to be had unless I went to the one bar here that has an extensive selection and overpaid for a flight of shots which I likely wouldn't fall in love with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You might have trouble finding Lagavulin right now just because of shipping schedules - I asked at Total Wine. Will be back in stock on most places next month.

I received a bourbon as a gift and by god, I do not hate it - EH Taylor Small Batch. Not sure I love it, but I definitely do not hate it.

I also bought a bottle of ”moonshine.” Some folks bought Dutch Shultz’s moonshine hideout in Pine Plains NY and opened a bar/distillery/event space. Took a drive there last weekend and bought a bottle of their moonshine.

For $25, why not? The moonshine bit is more marketing than reality, but I knew that going in. It’s only 80 proof and, really, it’s really more of a rum than anything else, but still, good and easy to drink.

2209372C-3CEA-4E63-866D-078FE651B21D.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You might have trouble finding Lagavulin right now just because of shipping schedules - I asked at Total Wine. Will be back in stock on most places next month.

I received a bourbon as a gift and by god, I do not hate it - EH Taylor Small Batch. Not sure I love it, but I definitely do not hate it.

I also bought a bottle of ”moonshine.” Some folks bought Dutch Shultz’s moonshine hideout in Pine Plains NY and opened a bar/distillery/event space. Took a drive there last weekend and bought a bottle of their moonshine.

For $25, why not? The moonshine bit is more marketing than reality, but I knew that going in. It’s only 80 proof and, really, it’s really more of a rum than anything else, but still, good and easy to drink.

View attachment 69331

EH Taylor Small Batch is one of my favorites. Two years ago it was everywhere at $40, now bourbon “taters” buy it up. So many stores now mark it up if they have it at all. If you like that, you might like Eagle Rare as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
EH Taylor Small Batch is one of my favorites. Two years ago it was everywhere at $40, now bourbon “taters” buy it up. So many stores now mark it up if they have it at all. If you like that, you might like Eagle Rare as well.

We have a bottle of Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace in case bourbon people show up - would call them both almost tolerable, but I’m happy enough to leave them to the guests.

I noticed that….at $40, I would say it’s a great deal. At $80-120, nah.

DALTX

I don't have a hobby, I watch UConn
Reaction Score
Any Irish Whiskey fans in the crowd? I normally drink Rye or Bourbon and need to get a gift for a person that likes the Irish style best. No clue what to buy, budget would be $40-60 range.
Consider Teeling's Small Batch for the low end of that range.

Reaction Score
Consider Teeling's Small Batch for the low end of that range.

Had this one recommended a few times now. Another buddy is now also chipping in so I think we are going to do like one mid range bottle and one higher end. Appreciate the input!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good thing about Irish whiskey, bourbon, gin and even rum is that you can spend like $35 and still get something pretty great. Teeling and Jameson are perfectly good in that price range.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good thing about Irish whiskey, bourbon, gin and even rum is that you can spend like $35 and still get something pretty great. Teeling and Jameson are perfectly good in that price range.

Agreed. Rum especially...if you know what to buy and what to avoid. There is a lot of sugar water out there for sorority girl mixed drinks, the fireball of rum.

Reaction Score

Here very good stuff about Teeling, been suggested by several now and the price is just right. I will be trying that one for myself lol.

Reaction Score
So.. Did a Boneyard- influenced night.. Monkey Shoulder followed by Breckinridge Bourbon.. Preceded by some Vodka-Full disclosure.

Not bad.

Reaction Score
So.. Did a Boneyard- influenced night.. Monkey Shoulder followed by Breckinridge Bourbon.. Preceded by some Vodka-Full disclosure.

Not bad.

I have seen the Breckenridge but not tried yet, not sure I will honestly. The Monkey is a good mixer scotch for me, I did not care for it neat.

Reaction Score
I have seen the Breckenridge but not tried yet, not sure I will honestly. The Monkey is a good mixer scotch for me, I did not care for it neat.
I hear you..I'm trying stuff that some Yarders throw out there. A learning experience. Obviously have my favorites but don't have a broad and diverse level of imbibing as some.

Never too old to benefit from educated folks. That's how you get smarter..

Reaction Score
I hear you..I'm trying stuff that some Yarders throw out there. A learning experience. Obviously have my favorites but don't have a broad and diverse level of imbibing as some.

Never too old to benefit from educated folks. That's how you get smarter..
Indeed! Just started my scotch journey recently and I am enjoying things thus far.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Not bad.

Generally I’d save Vodka stuff for last, drink the best stuff first. I have cheap bottles that are my…I’m borderline and shouldn’t have another bottles, so I don’t waste the good stuff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Generally I’d save Vodka stuff for last, drink the best stuff first. I have cheap bottles that are my…I’m borderline and shouldn’t have another bottles, so I don’t waste the good stuff.
As a half Lithuanian who's lived in a former Bloc country, I've been told the proper thing to do is to have a vodka between each of your more expensive drinks to clean your palate.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As a half Lithuanian who's lived in a former Bloc country, I've been told the proper thing to do is to have a vodka between each of your more expensive drinks to clean your palate.

There is this thing called water that I find does that and helps with hydration. But in the former Bloc countries I can see how they might want to go for maximum effect.

My sister brought back several local vodkas from her trip to Belarus (Chernoby) but none of them were particularly good. Best I’ve had remains a Barr Hill vodka from Vermont distilled entirely from maple syrup. So stupid that I didn't buy it.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't know until I did ancestry.com but I'm a lot Lithuanian.genetically, so I'll have to try the vodka palate cleansing routine!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
There is this thing called water that I find does that and helps with hydration. But in the former Bloc countries I can see how they might want to go for maximum effect.

My sister brought back several local vodkas from her trip to Belarus (Chernoby) but none of them were particularly good. Best I’ve had remains a Barr Hill vodka from Vermont distilled entirely from maple syrup. So stupid that I didn't buy it.
I've seen the Barr Hill in NH, is it not available in CT? Also the NH stores carry distilled from honey, not maple syrup, that would be very tasty! https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/product-detail/3009-Caledonia-Spirits-Barr-Hill-Vodka

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Interesting. I didn't know until I did ancestry.com but I'm a lot Lithuanian.genetically, so I'll have to try the vodka palate cleansing routine!
Sveikinu!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom