OT: Scotch thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Reaction Score
Not yet. It’s sourced stuff from unknown Tennessee distilleries. It gets ok reviews but is pretty pricey, which has kept me from buying it. Usually it is easy to determine the source, but nobody has with this stuff yet. It doesn’t seem to be Dickel.

@Grey Goose I don’t put much stock in that whiskey of the year award. That said, reviews I’ve seen suggest batch A20 is very hot, not good. Batch B520 and C920 are much better. Some folks really like the wheaters though, like Weller and of course Pappy Van Winkle. Huge markups on that stuff. Rebel Yell 10 is another good wheated bourbon that doesn’t break the bank.
Slowly working my way into Bourbons.. My heritage points me to Scotch.. Pappy and Midleton are also liquid gold to my palette. Generally speaking I am not a price tag guy.. Like to buy value when I can just to try different stuff and support the new guys.. I'm not over the top on awards.. Just trying to learn more.. You and 8893 are much more in tune with what's going on in the Whisky world.

BTW.. Don't know if you're a cigar guy or not.. I'm a celebratory cigar guy.. Have you ever dunked a cigar.. (Obviously the end that you're inhaling from) .... Into an Irish Whisky?.. Prior to inhaling??

Depending on the quality of the Whisky/quality of the cigar and the length of the dunk.. It really rounds out the cigar taste and adds to the enjoyment.. Continue dunking as needed.. Different spin on the cigar experience.. Irish cousins introduced me to the concept.. Guessing that it would not appear viable for certain purists who don't want to taint the cigar or Whisky.. But enjoyable for the non-traditionalist and open-minded.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Slowly working my way into Bourbons.. My heritage points me to Scotch.. Pappy and Midleton are also liquid gold to my palette. Generally speaking I am not a price tag guy.. Like to buy value when I can just to try different stuff and support the new guys.. I'm not over the top on awards.. Just trying to learn more.. You and 8893 are much more in tune with what's going on in the Whisky world.

Breckinridge is aging their 'bourbon' in rum and port wine casks - I found those are a really nice middle ground between Scotch and traditional bourbon. Not expensive, either. $50-ish.

Meant to mention that I got one of these glasses delivered yesterday and I used it last night and really liked it. Enjoyed two pours of Whisky From the Barrel, sans ice, and I have to say I may finally prefer drinking it neat.

I have one of those and am not completely crazy about it. I think it bleeds off too much. Looks cool, though.

I like the Glencairn better and I suspect you might too....if you ever lay on the couch, watching basketball and sipping whiskey, the NEAT glass will pour it right down the side of your head. Gotta go Glencairn in that use case.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have one of those and am not completely crazy about it. I think it bleeds off too much. Looks cool, though.

I like the Glencairn better and I suspect you might too....if you ever lay on the couch, watching basketball and sipping whiskey, the NEAT glass will pour it right down the side of your head. Gotta go Glencairn in that use case.
I already prefer the Glencairn, but I do like the fact that the NEAT slows me down and makes me sip even more slowly for the reasons you mention. I get a better nose and I drink more slowly, both of which are good things. I’m in the recliner 99% of the time when I’m drinking it, so I can adjust my head more easily than if laying on the couch. My practice so far has been Japanese in the NEAT, Scotch in the Glencairn and Irish in either.

Reaction Score
I already prefer the Glencairn, but I do like the fact that the NEAT slows me down and makes me sip even more slowly for the reasons you mention. I get a better nose and I drink more slowly, both of which are good things. I’m in the recliner 99% of the time when I’m drinking it, so I can adjust my head more easily than if laying on the couch. My practice so far has been Japanese in the NEAT, Scotch in the Glencairn and Irish in either.
Good to have you on board with Glencairn.. Proceed with caution.. LOL.. All good

IIRC.. Your heritage includes Irish.. Can get engraved Glencairn.. In my case.. Family crest from Scotland..

Reaction Score
Breckinridge is aging their 'bourbon' in rum and port wine casks - I found those are a really nice middle ground between Scotch and traditional bourbon. Not expensive, either. $50-ish.

I hear you Fishy.. To the unitiated.. They don't get it. I think a drinking vessel that does not take into account the value of the nose/aroma as part of the tasting experience is missing it.. Glencairn.. For their lane.. Get's it..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hear you Fishy.. To the unitiated.. They don't get it. I think a drinking vessel that does not take into account the value of the nose/aroma as part of the tasting experience is missing it.. Glencairn.. For their lane.. Get's it..

An alternative to the Glencairn with similar attributes and a slightly differed feel in the hand is the Tuath glass. The Túath Irish Whiskey Glass It’s kind of the Irish answer to the Glencairn. Performance wise they are about the same.

@8893 I think that Neat glass would work well with really high proof stuff. That’s what I use my Canadian Glencairn for, and it’s similarly larger at the opening.

Reaction Score
An alternative to the Glencairn with similar attributes and a slightly differed feel in the hand is the Tuath glass. The Túath Irish Whiskey Glass It’s kind of the Irish answer to the Glencairn. Performance wise they are about the same.

@8893 I think that Neat glass would work well with really high proof stuff. That’s what I use my Canadian Glencairn for, and it’s similarly larger at the opening.
HH.. You haven't responded to the cigar post..Your thoughts??

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
HH.. You haven't responded to the cigar post..Your thoughts??

Oh. I have smoked cigars like 4 times. I’m done with that. Always feel like crap in the morning. My friends who enjoy them like them with bourbon as a compliment. Irish is a bit mild to stand up I’d think. But I’ve never heard of the dunking thing, that’s interesting. I’d actually imagine a nice rum would perhaps be the best bet.

Reaction Score
Oh. I have smoked cigars like 4 times. I’m done with that. Always feel like crap in the morning. My friends who enjoy them like them with bourbon as a compliment. Irish is a bit mild to stand up I’d think. But I’ve never heard of the dunking thing, that’s interesting. I’d actually imagine a nice rum would perhaps be the best bet.
I'm not a cigar smoker either but dunking allows me to enjoy the experience when celebrating something/someone.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not a cigar smoker either but dunking allows me to enjoy the experience when celebrating something/someone.
Right brain immediately kicks in with bourbon chaw market possibilities. Although my geo market would probably prefer Jager.

Reaction Score
As previously posted. Was introduced to the dunking concept by Irish cousins.. Jameson drinkers.. Middle -of-the-road cigars.. Made the experience for an occasional cigar smoker such as myself much more enjoyable.

Have shared the "strategy" with other higher volume cigar smokers (who had never heard of it before)..It is now their go-to way of smoking cigars..

See no reason why bourbon wouldn't work. Never tried.. BTW.. I am not suggesting that by choosing a high end whisky or a high end cigar that your experience will be proportionately enhanced because of their respective quality..

I found that it "rounded" out/smoothed the taste of the cigar for my palette.. Not to mention the smell/aroma/nose that was added from the Jameson.. Cheers.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I decided to grab the last bottle of @Fishy’s recommended Breckinridge Port Cask and some of the Dylan stuff to try it out.

310EF2AC-D7BF-4812-8A5F-105E80D6B58F.jpeg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts. Fishy is right on the Breckinridge Port. It’s nice. I like bourbon, but this is sort of a halfway between bourbon and wine or port cask single malt. Pleasant stuff. Doesn’t have that craft whisky wet cardboard taste. Breckinridge seems to be doing things right. They say this was in tawny port casks, which is pretty unusual. I think I’ll get the PX Cask and try it.

The Heaven’s Door is a blend of 30% one bourbon 30% a different bourbon barrel and 40% rye. It’s fairly disappointing. It’s not awful, but it’s also not as good as Wild Turkey 101 at twice the price. It seems the regular bourbon gets better reviews. I’m probably not going to try it at $50+. There is some good stuff at that price.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I found a bottle of this anCnoc Casks | Peter Arkle | Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky at a local shop that sometimes has older bottles sitting around. First pour it seemed somewhat ordinary, but it has really developed into a delicious dram.

Sometimes a liquor store off the path of whiskey drinkers can have hidden gems (or stuff still priced at the old price). I like to explore those now and then.

Reaction Score
I found a bottle of this anCnoc Casks | Peter Arkle | Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky at a local shop that sometimes has older bottles sitting around. First pour it seemed somewhat ordinary, but it has really developed into a delicious dram.

Sometimes a liquor store off the path of whiskey drinkers can have hidden gems (or stuff still priced at the old price). I like to explore those now and then.
BTW.. Did you have an opportunity to try Breckenridge? My son lives in Colo. One of his local favorites.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
BTW.. Did you have an opportunity to try Breckenridge? My son lives in Colo. One of his local favorites.

Yes, look a few posts up at the bottle I bought.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's why I was asking how you liked it
Post below the photo I mentioned both of them. I think @Fishy is right on the Breckenridge Port cask. I may try the PX cask. Tastes older than it probably is, doesn't have the rough edges and cardboard taste so common to under-aged craft whiskey.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wife had gotten me some fancy rocks glasses for Christmas, but we've already got plenty of rocks ware, so I asked her to return them and get these, which arrived yesterday. Now all I need to do is make three friends.
Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 09.26.13.png

Sadly, due to an intestinal infection, I probably won't be trying them out for another week or so.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wife had gotten me some fancy rocks glasses for Christmas, but we've already got plenty of rocks ware, so I asked her to return them and get these, which arrived yesterday. Now all I need to do is make three friends.
View attachment 64352

Sadly, due to an intestinal infection, I probably won't be trying them out for another week or so.

Nice, except for the illness of course. If your wife is like mine, she will find a way to break a few. My sink is pretty unforgiving to glassware.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice, except for the illness of course. If your wife is like mine, she will find a way to break a few. My sink is pretty unforgiving to glassware.
Mine has been instructed not to touch them. I try to wash, dry and put them away as soon as I’m done so I reduce the risk.

These glasses have made a huge difference in my enjoyment of whisky. I haven’t used a cube or drop of water since.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Post below the photo I mentioned both of them. I think @Fishy is right on the Breckenridge Port cask. I may try the PX cask. Tastes older than it probably is, doesn't have the rough edges and cardboard taste so common to under-aged craft whiskey.

I think they’re just good.

It’s not like an Islay where there’s 8,000 things going on in the glass and you kinda need to be in the mood for it. The Breckinridges are good all the time - kinda like Green Spot and the Nikka Coffey Grain/Malt. You take a sip and your reaction is, hey, this is as good as it was the last time.

Reaction Score
Have you been following the Uncle Nearest narrative re: Jack Daniels original recipe/mash bill??

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mine has been instructed not to touch them. I try to wash, dry and put them away as soon as I’m done so I reduce the risk.

These glasses have made a huge difference in my enjoyment of whisky. I haven’t used a cube or drop of water since.

Glad to hear that really. With few exceptions, there is already water in the bottle. There are some cask strength things that benefit but I even those aren’t too much. I was my own by hand as well. But my fireclay sink is definitely not gentle with any mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom