OT: Scotch thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Call this a "120 minute Scotch subthread".

I'm gonna try to hit the state monopoly store to get myself a present since no relatives are supplying me with my yearly bottle of Laga 16.

Supposedly Laphroaig Quarter Cask 96 proof is in stock for $72. As someone who can't stand regular Laphroaig, am I gonna gag on this?

Alternative Islays are (provided the website is accurate): Ardbeg 10 ($53), Ardbeg Uigeadail ($78), GoT Lannister Lagavulin ($70), Jura 7 Wood 84 proof ($80), Port Askaig 110 proof ($80), Bruichladdich 10 100 proof ($70), Ardbeg An Oa ($55).

Clock is ticking, I want to be at the store by 3pm ;-)
I bought a bottle of the Ardbeg An Oa last month. I like it better than the Ardbeg 10 and have enjoyed alternating it with Lagavulin 16. It is very different from Lagavulin 16; not nearly as band-aidy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll offer a shameless plug for a guy I know who just became the Whiskey reviewer and managing editor of this new publication. Whiskey Raiders: Abrams Media Launches New Site (mediaite.com)

If you talk to your bud, tell him it's really annoying that when searching the review score pages, hitting the back button takes you back to page one rather than the page you left.

I got the feeling from reading Islay reviews that the guy posting most of the summaries is addicted to smoke over any other attribute. And reading the Lagavulin 16 review felt like I was being chastised by Chief for being a "casual fan".

Fwiw, I have a trained palate having gone through the training for judging regional and national coffee competitions on multiple occasions. I like what Lagavulin brings to the table and have yet to find its equal as far a something as pleasing to the palate in well over a decade of consumption so I haven't felt the need to get into deep dives. I've probably tried >50 scotches over the past 25 years and have been to distilleries over there. "Fanboy", indeed. I certainly don't have your expertise on the subject as I can no longer afford to buy bottles I might not like. But I don't think I'm going to calibrate very well with this site.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you talk to your bud, tell him it's really annoying that when searching the review score pages, hitting the back button takes you back to page one rather than the page you left.

I got the feeling from reading Islay reviews that the guy posting most of the summaries is addicted to smoke over any other attribute. And reading the Lagavulin 16 review felt like I was being chastised by Chief for being a "casual fan".

Fwiw, I have a trained palate having gone through the training for judging regional and national coffee competitions on multiple occasions. I like what Lagavulin brings to the table and have yet to find its equal as far a something as pleasing to the palate in well over a decade of consumption so I haven't felt the need to get into deep dives. I've probably tried >50 scotches over the past 25 years and have been to distilleries over there. "Fanboy", indeed. I certainly don't have your expertise on the subject as I can no longer afford to buy bottles I might not like. But I don't think I'm going to calibrate very well with this site.
Grab yourself a bottle of the Nikka whiskey from the barrel

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Grab yourself a bottle of the Nikka whiskey from the barrel
On my way there I had it down to two bottles, that was one, the other was the Lannister 9 yo Lagavulin, both supposedly available in store according to the PLCB site. Both were sold out. It was thin pickings for any Islay.

After considering both the Coffey Grain and the Coffey Malt, I went with neither and splurged for the $80 Taketsuru Pure Malt. Sipping it now. Not a direct hit in my wheelhouse, but a lot going on that's offering different notes with each sip. Very pleasant. Not sure I'd buy again at $80 if there's Islay in stock, but not regretting this purchase like I did the Kavalan Select.

One positive about the PLCB is their Chairman Selection wines. They do a nice job there picking up truckloads of decent wines and selling at very competitive prices. So I picked up 15 bottles of that too, lol. Since you like Albarinos, I got a couple bottles of Albanta at $14 a pop (usually $18-$22).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Good feedback. I’ll let him know. The site will eventually aggregate reviews from multiple review sites in one place, so will have different perspectives. Whisky Advocate among others.

I find that most of the “aficionado” reviewers, like Jay, tend to find lower proof whisky like Lagavulin 16 to be underwhelming. For example, I agree the Lagavulin 12 is certainly better (to me) than the 16 (and they do charge more). But if you’re someone who adds water, then no, it wouldn’t be. That’s probably an older review as well, he will probably revisit it. Still, fair points. With a broader audience he should adjust his approach a bit to avoid that “casual fan” tone. I do get what you mean by that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On my way there I had it down to two bottles, that was one, the other was the Lannister 9 yo Lagavulin, both supposedly available in store according to the PLCB site. Both were sold out. It was thin pickings for any Islay.

After considering both the Coffey Grain and the Coffey Malt, I went with neither and splurged for the $80 Taketsuru Pure Malt. Sipping it now. Not a direct hit in my wheelhouse, but a lot going on that's offering different notes with each sip. Very pleasant. Not sure I'd buy again at $80 if there's Islay in stock, but not regretting this purchase like I did the Kavalan Select.

One positive about the PLCB is their Chairman Selection wines. They do a nice job there picking up truckloads of decent wines and selling at very competitive prices. So I picked up 15 bottles of that too, lol. Since you like Albarinos, I got a couple bottles of Albanta at $14 a pop (usually $18-$22).
Cheers

615ABD19-C5DA-4E0B-9A64-20FD6101669E.jpeg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like both the Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain, but I like the Malt better--and yes, much more scarce in these parts, too.
I didn't know there was a Red Spot until now. I've never even bought Yellow Spot and have only tasted it; but Green Spot is still in regular rotation for me. Which, unfortunately, has relegated Redbreast 12 to just "meh" for me lately.

The Malt just seems to be another half-step towards the dessert-like quality both of them have. I really like it

So there's Blue Spot, which is a 7-year old cask strength whiskey, Green Spot, Green Spot Chateau Montelena, Green Spot Leoville Barton, Yellow Spot, and Red Spot. In reality, you're likely only going to be able to find Green Spot and Yellow Spot reliably. Red Spot is aged over 15 years in bourbon, sherry and marsala casks.

Blue Spot and Green Spot are both around $55, although I bet if you ever find Blue Spot, it will be higher than that. Red Spot retails for like $120, but it'll sell for $115 to $250. The Yellow Spots are all $100-150.

I would avoid the Yellow Spots. Not worth the money. I think Red Spot makes sense at $115 if you ever felt like a splurge. Blue Spot and Green Spot at $55 are no-brainers.

I go back and forth as well. Shifting between bourbon, rye, rum, scotch - and there between peated, ex bourbon cask and sherries, and Irish. Have mostly found Irish to be bland, but there are few good ones. There is a Teeling Rum cask that was only $27 and was solid. Picked up Knappogue Castle 12 and it’s better than Redbreast 12, and cheaper. Will try the 14 when this is gone. I love Privateer‘s rums. Made in MA and now sold in NY. It may be an alternative to Bourbon that you guys would like.

Just find all things Red Breast to be underwhelming.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Enjoy that bad boy. Richer than anything I've got. I gave up collecting and cellaring years ago. Here's the only survivor after drinking our way through the cellar. And it may go tomorrow. Merry Christmas!
View attachment 62849
That’s a tremendous bottle!

So the story behind the Sassicaia is that we had a longtime client who was a grumpy but very talented old Italian architect. His office was next door to ours, and our parking lots and driveways adjoined. He was the kind of hothead who would have our clients towed from his lot instead of coming over to ask them to move.

He appeared crude but apparently he had very good taste in wine, because he spent the late seventies and early eighties amassing a cellar full of the top Italian and California reds, and Kistler Chardonnay from CA. Sadly, he did not take good care of it, and it suffered water damage over the years.

He ended up owing us several thousand dollars; his wife took ill; and then he developed some condition that prevented him from being able to drink alcohol at all.

In a pang of guilt and conscience he gave the contents of his wine cellar to my partner to offset the debt to us.

I got an initial allotment of a couple cases, which had a breakdown that was probably 1/3 transcendent; 1/3 past peak but still quaffable; and 1/3 spoiled.

In the years since I have gotten several more cases, with increasingly worse odds for drinkability.

Yesterday he gave me two more bottles that we both know are likely A+ condition Solaias, 1985 and 1982. I have had each before and they are incredible if well kept. We made our traditIonal braciole and spedini with cavatelli tonight so I was going to crack the ‘82 Solaia, but I decided to try an ‘80 Sassicaia first, fully expecting to pour it out after a very questionable cork. It turned out to be in very good condition. Not peak by any means, but still an A- right now. Perfect for the meal.

Merry Christmas and I look forward to your report on that great bottle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A question for the Scotch drinkers here on glasses. I most often use a Glencairn. I have come to also like my Tuath Glass. I got a couple of those. Slightly larger and with a heavier base (supposedly Skellig Michael). My favorite by far is one I rarely use, a Canadian Glencairn. My fairy time using one came when the barkeeper/owner of a small inn in Nairn, Scotland gave me a big pour before shutting down for the night. The problem is that if I use it, I’m probably going to drink too much.
Meant to mention that I got one of these glasses delivered yesterday and I used it last night and really liked it. Enjoyed two pours of Whisky From the Barrel, sans ice, and I have to say I may finally prefer drinking it neat.

710fAr69SAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reaction Score
Meant to mention that I got one of these glasses delivered yesterday and I used it last night and really liked it. Enjoyed two pours of Whisky From the Barrel, sans ice, and I have to say I may finally prefer drinking it neat.

Pretty cool design.. Looks like you can get a nice whiff on the aromas.. Never seen this one before.. Cheers

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pretty cool design.. Looks like you can get a nice whiff on the aromas.. Never seen this one before.. Cheers
That's exactly what I think turned me: the aromas really add to the drinking experience.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Cool. I haven't tried the NEAT glass yet. It's a little like the Canadian Glencairn I like. Did you use a regular Glencairn at all before?

Reaction Score
That's exactly what I think turned me: the aromas really add to the drinking expe

That's exactly what I think turned me: the aromas really add to the drinking experience.
Do you think that an anejo/anejo cristalino would benefit from this kind of glass?? I know ..Different spirit.. But you have me thinking.. Some Tequila distillers throw in the occasional rum barrel/bourbon barrel spin on their anejos..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you use a regular Glencairn at all before?
No, I have two being delivered on Monday. I became curious about glasses after we discussed it here and did some poking around, figuring I should have a pair of Glencairns at a minimum. I saw the NEAT glass and decided to order both, and the NEAT glass came first.

But reading up some more I think I understand what I like about the NEAT, and what may make me more inclined to add a drop or a cube in a Glencairn: the strong initial ethanol blast can be jarring. The NEAT seemed to allow it to breathe faster and better, meaning I got a more pleasant aroma and taste right off the bat.

Reaction Score
No, I have two being delivered on Monday. I became curious about glasses after we discussed it here and did some poking around, figuring I should have a pair of Glencairns at a minimum. I saw the NEAT glass and decided to order both, and the NEAT glass came first.

But reading up some more I think I understand what I like about the NEAT, and what may make me more inclined to add a drop or a cube in a Glencairn: the strong initial ethanol blast can be jarring. The NEAT seemed to allow it to breathe faster and better, meaning I got a more pleasant aroma and taste right off the bat.
BTW.. Don't know if you and Husky also enjoy wine.. But the shape of the glass as well as the shape of the mouth of the glass is designed in a manner to hit certain parts of your tongue..After you've opened up the wine for a while.. And based upon the varietal that you're drinking.. Different shapes for Cab/Chard/Pinot Noir,etc.. Riedel is a good place to start.. It's a science.. Pretty interesting when you take a bar wine glass and compare the same wine when drank from a Riedel glass (for the varietal you're drinking)..Not even close..

I think you're picking up on the impact the shape of the vessel has on your drinking experience.. All good.. Much more enjoyable.. Thanks for heads up.. Off to Amazon..

Back to scotch..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BTW.. Don't know if you and Husky also enjoy wine.. But the shape of the glass as well as the shape of the mouth of the glass is designed in a manner to hit certain parts of your tongue..After you've opened up the wine for a while.. And based upon the varietal that you're drinking.. Different shapes for Cab/Chard/Pinot Noir,etc.. Riedel is a good place to start.. It's a science.. Pretty interesting when you take a bar wine glass and compare the same wine when drank from a Riedel glass (for the varietal you're drinking)..Not even close..

I think you're picking up on the impact the shape of the vessel has on your drinking experience.. All good.. Much more enjoyable.. Thanks for heads up.. Off to Amazon..

Back to scotch..
I probably drink more wine than anything else and have all the different shapes for the different wines. Agree, it makes a big difference.

I used to drink a lot of beer and I also have the different shaped beer glasses for the different styles. I don't really drink it all any more except for occasional tastes with friends, but it's nice to have the right glass for that, too. Oddly, it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference for hard cider, which I now drink in place of beer.

Do you think that an anejo/anejo cristalino would benefit from this kind of glass?? I know ..Different spirit.. But you have me thinking.. Some Tequila distillers throw in the occasional rum barrel/bourbon barrel spin on their anejos..
I do think that the NEAT would be great for tasting Anejo, which is also my favorite among tequilas--but I mostly drink margaritas when I am drinking tequila. This may change that.

Reaction Score
I probably drink more wine than anything else and have all the different shapes for the different wines. Agree, it makes a big difference.

I used to drink a lot of beer and I also have the different shaped beer glasses for the different styles. I don't really drink it all any more except for occasional tastes with friends, but it's nice to have the right glass for that, too. Oddly, it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference for hard cider, which I now drink in place of beer.

I do think that the NEAT would be great for tasting Anejo, which is also my favorite among tequilas--but I mostly drink margaritas when I am drinking tequila. This may change that.
Bet you would be pleasantly surprised with your new glasses.. Talking sipping like your Whiskeys/Whiskys.. Not doing shots. .LOL..Check out a Cristalino if you haven't already.. A clear extra anejo style..

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I like some Anejo but some have steered me to Mezcal, which is quite interesting indeed. Oddly the chosen “glasses“ are like small clay cups called copitas. It’s really the ultimate craft spirit.

Hopefully you like the Glencairns as well. I suspect that the Neat will dissipate ethanol faster, but for anything 43-46% that shouldn’t be an issue in a Glencairn either. Cask strength i tend to give it 10-15 minutes. Just opened and poured my Springbank 12 Cask Strength. It is probably my favorite Scotch distillery. Grabbed it with my fantasy football winnings. Added a bit of water, which is unusual for me.

Like you I’ve got a variety of wine and beer glasses. It really does make a difference.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hopefully you like the Glencairns as well. I suspect that the Neat will dissipate ethanol faster, but for anything 43-46% that shouldn’t be an issue in a Glencairn either.
The Glencairns arrived early: got them yesterday. Used one last night for a pour of Lagavulin 16. You‘re right, it was perfect and needed no chill or water.

Reaction Score
Whisky Advocate.. Top Whisky of the Year..By John E. Fitzgerald.. Larceny Barrel Proof (Batch B520),, A wheated Bourbon.. Wheat being the secondary grain to the corn..

Never heard of these folks.. Anyone tried this?? If yes.. Thoughts??

And of course ..I understand it's not a Scotch Whisky..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whisky Advocate.. Top Whisky of the Year..By John E. Fitzgerald.. Larceny Barrel Proof (Batch B520),, A wheated Bourbon.. Wheat being the secondary grain to the corn..

Never heard of these folks.. Anyone tried this?? If yes.. Thoughts??

And of course ..I understand it's not a Scotch Whisky..
I have not, but I think this is now the whiskey thread rather than Scotch in particular, so it’s certainly on topic.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried any of the Bourbon brand Dylan owns?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have not, but I think this is now the whiskey thread rather than Scotch in particular, so it’s certainly on topic.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried any of the Bourbon brand Dylan owns?

Not yet. It’s sourced stuff from unknown Tennessee distilleries. It gets ok reviews but is pretty pricey, which has kept me from buying it. Usually it is easy to determine the source, but nobody has with this stuff yet. It doesn’t seem to be Dickel.

@Grey Goose I don’t put much stock in that whiskey of the year award. That said, reviews I’ve seen suggest batch A20 is very hot, not good. Batch B520 and C920 are much better. Some folks really like the wheaters though, like Weller and of course Pappy Van Winkle. Huge markups on that stuff. Rebel Yell 10 is another good wheated bourbon that doesn’t break the bank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom