Scholarship Grid: Then & Now | The Boneyard

Scholarship Grid: Then & Now

Reaction Score
2020-2021 and 2021-2022 rosters after Lukas Kisunas was released from his LOI on 3/29/2018
32244F5A-EEE3-4E70-B100-B028AA9E897B.jpeg

Reaction Score
The craziest thing to me is the possibilities the 21/22 creates:

At best, we have a STACKED team for 21/22.

At worst, we have very talented freshmen to pass the baton to if Bouknight (Hawkins), Akok (Johnson) or Cole (Diggins) go pro after the 20/21 1season.

Just an incredible job this staff has done in the last two years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s perhaps the most striking thing to me, there are just no reaches or filler there. Granted, some might not pan out but there is a reasonable, strong expectation that everyone listed can and will contribute.
That comes from having a realistic plan and talented staff to execute it. It's been amazing to watch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's far more than just being back in the Big East. Hurley is an ENORMOUS upgrade as Head Coach, as is the rest of the coaching staff.

idk about "far". Every single recruit has specifically mentioned the big east as a conference, in terms of both quality and ability to play all games in front of family, as one of their foremost considerations. Every AAU/highschool coach too. Willing to bet 80% of these kids don't come if we are in the AAC. There's a reason schools like Depaul can pull recruits in BE rn

and yes, Hurley is obv a massive upgrade. just as importantly, so is his staff. 5 guys on the same page is a breath of fresh air

actual talent evaluation to gauge players, instead of just purchasing a copy of Street & Smith's annual rankings, does wonders for your overall plan

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That’s perhaps the most striking thing to me, there are just no reaches or filler there. Granted, some might not pan out but there is a reasonable, strong expectation that everyone listed can and will contribute.

Well when you don't miss on your 1st option (or your 2nd 3rd 4th etc), you get a well filled out roster

Reaction Score
idk about "far". Every single recruit has specifically mentioned the big east as a conference, in terms of both quality and ability to play all games in front of family, as one of their foremost considerations. Every AAU/highschool coach too. Willing to bet 80% of these kids don't come if we are in the AAC. There's a reason schools like Depaul can pull recruits in BE rn

and yes, Hurley is obv a massive upgrade. just as importantly, so is his staff. 5 guys on the same page is a breath of fresh air

actual talent evaluation to gauge players, instead of just purchasing a copy of Street & Smith's annual rankings, does wonders for your overall plan

Here is a quote from Samson Johnson:

Screenshot_20200811-094140.png

Hurley and his Assistant Coaches are exactly why recruiting is so strong.

Reaction Score

Exactly. And if one doesn't pan out, there's at least one more at his position. And if someone leaves early for the NBA, we're still in great shape.

We don't want to be in a position where we're begging one guy to stick around or hoping one guy develops.

This is a far cry from being unable to recruit over Amida Brimah and Rodney Purvis, or having a year sunk by Daniel Hamilton leaving too early.

In 2021 we'll have multiple experienced bigs and multiple young bigs to develop. In 2022 we can tolerate a guy like Bouknight leaving for the NBA and backfill with Martin, a developing Jackson, and the two freshmen guards. Our bigs will be young, but we'll have 3 of them competing for playing time as sophomores and potentially a returning Akok.

The program is in terrific shape under Hurley. This is a guy who clearly has both a strategic vision and a tactical ability to target and close on recruits.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I remember trying to convince myself to be excited about Emmitt Matthews Lucas Kisunas.

KO’s scholarship grid was created on a cocktail napkin. Hurley hammers his into the side of a mountain.

Trying to talk yourself into guys who you knew were, at best, projects was not a fun endeavor.

I've caught some WVU games and Matthews is actually a pretty solid player, but I believe Rivals pegged him as having Jeremy Lamb upside, which...yeah, that isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Can we please never compare KO to DH recruiting when one has been using the BE to recruit for what, half his tenure?

Reaction Score
Not sure how much of a comparison it is when you have another 2 and a half years to fill roster spots but I digress. Yeah yeah KO got divorced and Hurley is jesus we know.

Reaction Score
Dropped in on the Friars board at lunch. Someone posted that if we keep recruiting like this, we might catch or surpass them!!! LOL
That is a big LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read on this board in a long time.

Reaction Score
KO had the coattails of the 2014 national title to recruit off of...which he somehow bungled and by the end it turned into Kwintin Williams, Emmitt Matthews, and Lukas Kisunas lol
And he rode the coat tails of JC recruits too I know. But you can’t tell me the AAC wasn’t a massive obstacle for him to deal with, especially now that we see DH signing up classes after accomplishing nothing in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom