Schluter Kerdi-Board? Any of you used it before? | The Boneyard

Schluter Kerdi-Board? Any of you used it before?

Reaction Score
Have any of you used the stuff before? Thoughts? Worth the extra cost over concrete board and redgard/aquadefense?

I'm renovating several rooms, starting with a bathroom part-time on the weekends. Willing to spend some extra money if it comes recommended and will save my back from the weight and my lungs from the dust.

Reaction Score
Have any of you used the stuff before? Thoughts? Worth the extra cost over concrete board and redgard/aquadefense?

I'm renovating several rooms, starting with a bathroom part-time on the weekends. Willing to spend some extra money if it comes recommended and will save my back from the weight and my lungs from the dust.
I used the waterproofing (orange) wrap in the shower over concrete board because the shower was on the second floor. When I redid the first floor I didn’t bother since it was over an unfinished basement. Neither leaked

Reaction Score
HIC here…..I’ve used Schluter Kerdi, Laticrete hydro, and go-board. All superior to concrete board, and easier to work with if you’ve never done it before. I prefer Laticrete over Schluter….Installation is slightly easier since you don’t have to use the washers. go-board is fiberglass so it will make you itch.

Reaction Score
Also, if you’re doing a tile shower floor, the pre-formed pan is easy to work with. Prep work is key as your floor should be dead-nuts level and your wall framing needs to plumb.

Reaction Score
I used the waterproofing (orange) wrap in the shower over concrete board because the shower was on the second floor. When I redid the first floor I didn’t bother since it was over an unfinished basement. Neither leaked

Thanks, good to know.

I saw the wrap too, but it kind of looked like a PITA. The biggest annoyance for me is the weight of the concrete board. I can do it, but I'm coming off a slipped disc 6 weeks ago and the lightweight boards are enticing.

The pre-built niches and benches are nice too.

Reaction Score
Thanks, good to know.

I saw the wrap too, but it kind of looked like a PITA. The biggest annoyance for me is the weight of the concrete board. I can do it, but I'm coming off a slipped disc 6 weeks ago and the lightweight boards are enticing.

The membrane is definitely more troublesome and messy since you’ll be mixing up thinner batch of thin set for it.

Reaction Score
The membrane is definitely more troublesome and messy since you’ll be mixing up thinner batch of thin set for it.

Yeah I've probably done 30 showers/tubs over the years (worked for my uncle's general contracting/finish carpentry business summer from 12-22). If I have to use concrete board I'll just use what I know and go with aquadefense.

Reaction Score
Also, if you’re doing a tile shower floor, the pre-formed pan is easy to work with. Prep work is key as your floor should be dead-nuts level and your wall framing needs to plumb.

Definitely doing a tile floor. I was going to buy the pre-formed pan whether or not I go with the wall boards. Getting a pre-slope right is PITA.

Thanks for the advice!

Reaction Score
Thanks, good to know.

When I did it 10 plus years ago there weren’t as many options. Our neighbor just had their entire house updated and contractors used a board that was very light installed with washers then joints sealed with tape. Looked a little like fiberglass like from the edge

One interesting thing is they not only leveled the floor, they did the walls too. Talked to tile guy that said they always check wall to be sure no low spots. Which I found surprising

Reaction Score
Glad this isn’t overpriced pimento wood that you use to grill fish.

Grilled fish is mid. I prefer a decent sear on my stainless steel pain. Ideally I just stop giving in to my wife's vegetarian BS and buy a ribeye.

Reaction Score
When I did it 10 plus years ago there weren’t as many options. Our neighbor just had their entire house updated and contractors used a board that was very light installed with washers then joints sealed with tape. Looked a little like fiberglass like from the edge

One interesting thing is they not only leveled the floor, they did the walls too. Talked to tile guy that said they always check wall to be sure no low spots. Which I found surprising

There are a few lightweight options like that. I think Weti is another one and Rich listed a few too.

I'm pretty sure plumb walls like that is most important when you're doing bigger tiles (which I am) because you'll see the high spots when the edges don't line up. Relatively easy fix when you have it down to the studs though.

Reaction Score

I know the game today was a blowout but this what is on your mind during a UConn game? What kind of fan are you? :)

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I do half a dozen or so shower pans a year. It’s probably about half preformed pan and half membrane now. When I do a membrane system I use a linear drain and frame my slope since it is only one direction with the linear drain. I always use 1/2“ hardibacker for my walls. I’m almost 60 and have no trouble with the 3’ x 5’ sheets.

I use to use the Kerdi band on all seams but it creates a bulge that has to be compensated for on all the field tile. Not worth it imo. I use to use ditra on floors (not within shower.) Easy to roll out but so much extra thin set and not easy to trowel over. 1/4” hardi on thin set does so much to flatten the floor it always seems worth it for the extra effort.

I have probably demoed hundreds of showers over the last 40 years. That really gives you sense of what things matter to make a lasting product.

Reaction Score
I do half a dozen or so shower pans a year. It’s probably about half preformed pan and half membrane now. When I do a membrane system I use a linear drain and frame my slope since it is only one direction with the linear drain. I always use 1/2“ hardibacker for my walls. I’m almost 60 and have no trouble with the 3’ x 5’ sheets.

I use to use the Kerdi band on all seams but it creates a bulge that has to be compensated for on all the field tile. Not worth it imo. I use to use ditra on floors (not within shower.) Easy to roll out but so much extra thin set and not easy to trowel over. 1/4” hardi on thin set does so much to flatten the floor it always seems worth it for the extra effort.

I have probably demoed hundreds of showers over the last 40 years. That really gives you sense of what things matter to make a lasting product.

Thanks. Linear drain looks pretty cool--I may try that. Are they a pain in the butt to clean??

Reaction Score
Thanks. Linear drain looks pretty cool--I may try that. Are they a pain in the butt to clean??
No I have one. The drain hole is the same it’s just a long length and 2 1/2 inch wide piece that drops in and out for cleaning.

Reaction Score
No I have one. The drain hole is the same it’s just a long length and 2 1/2 inch wide piece that drops in and out for cleaning.

Got it... thanks. I just watched some videos and they don't seem bad to install or clean at all if you make sure to plan the install properly and measure twice.

Reaction Score
Figured I'd update since I am sick as a dog and have nothing else to do.

Kerdi was a great choice. I looked into some others, but it was available and not as expensive as some other options. Well worth the cost over concrete board I used to use. No dust, using a box cutter instead of a saw, and being able to hang them by myself was an absolute breeze. Knowing how to do it now, I bet I could do a shower in a day or two alone.

I bought a bench seat and niche from them as well which made the process a dream. Hardest part of the whole thing was fitting the boards into my car.

Also used a pre-fab shower pan and the ditra flooring for heat, and went with the linear drain (why heated floors? I don't know, ask my wife. why would I want my feet warm when I'm having a violent BM?). It's a pretty standard-sized shower so there were no special orders needed.

All the Youtube videos on Kerdi were really helpful, as well as you guys. Thanks again.

On to tiling this god-forsaken floor.

Reaction Score

Kerdi was a great choice. I looked into some others, but it was available and not as expensive as some other options. Well worth the cost over concrete board I used to use. No dust, using a box cutter instead of a saw, and being able to hang them by myself was an absolute breeze. Knowing how to do it now, I bet I could do a shower in a day or two alone.

I bought a bench seat and niche from them as well which made the process a dream. Hardest part of the whole thing was fitting the boards into my car.

Also used a pre-fab shower pan and the ditra flooring for heat, and went with the linear drain (why heated floors? I don't know, ask my wife. why would I want my feet warm when I'm having a violent BM?). It's a pretty standard-sized shower so there were no special orders needed.

All the Youtube videos on Kerdi were really helpful, as well as you guys. Thanks again.

Feel better. Hopefully the game tonight will be a tonic

Reaction Score

What are you planning on using for grout? I've had pretty good luck with Laticrete Spectralock 1. Pricey, but comes pre-mixed (RTU) and supposedly performs like an epoxy grout.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score

Photos or didn’t happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Knowing how to do it now, I bet I could do a shower in a day or two alone.
I pretty much knock out of shower in about 10-15 minutes. Of course they take longer if you're not alone.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Take this to the Schluter Kerdi-Board board…

Kidding, I have to redo my master bath as well at some point and this is great info. I’d never heard of it before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom