Scheduling idea | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Scheduling idea

Reaction Score
I think a rivalry with UMass would be very important and beneficial to both programs and the region in general. The only two large New England public flagship FBS programs 50 miles apart. A short drive for all fans no matter where the game is played. Ideally both programs improve and the rivalry would draw students, fans and future players. Maybe the game would eventually fill Gillette.
What better place than here. What better time than now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not an Edsall fan, but I know he hated playing past Thanksgiving weekend because it deterred from recruiting. Just a thought.
So that was why we never made a bowl game in a second tenure!

096F0EBC-C115-47D9-B0A3-08E5382C8355.jpeg

“ It’s all a part of the process boys.”

CL82

Reaction Score
I think a rivalry with UMass would be very important and beneficial to both programs and the region in general. The only two large New England public flagship FBS programs 50 miles apart. A short drive for all fans no matter where the game is played. Ideally both programs improve and the rivalry would draw students, fans and future players. Maybe the game would eventually fill Gillette.
What better place than here. What better time than now.
Let’s focus on filling the Rent first.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Coach Mora is well on his way. Besides, we only need about 30k or so UCONN fans to go to Gillette.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Decent idea. But I’d try to convince Notre Dame to play that weekend every year instead.

In the years they are competing for a post season invite like this year, they are at a disadvantage because they are always off this weekend and all of the other teams are competing in a Conference Championship game on National TV. This would give them a chance to remain in the conversation with a focus NBC national game every year.

If we need to, we can give them a scheduling advantage to entice them. In a 4 year cycle, they could have 2 home games, while we get 1 true home game at The Rent and one “home” game at an Northeast Pro stadium (Giants/Patriots/Yankees/Red Sox/etc). I think it might just actually work.
In the highly unlikely scenario that could happen, this need to be what AD David Benedict pushes for. I’d be fine playing it annually at an NFL stadium (rotate between Chicago / NYC / Boston).

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I emailed Benedict, Neal Eskin, and Ryan Steinberg the following:

To whom this may concern,

Hi. My name is . I am a UConn alum, donor and big fan of both the basketball programs and football program. I am very happy with the hire of Jim Mora as our football coach. I think we have a bright future.

I would like to point out a few suggestions for our future football scheduling that I think may be worth considering. I for one am very happy with the move to the Big East for Olympic sports and think that football independence is the way to go in the absence of an invite from either the ACC or Big Ten.

Without further ado, here are my ideas:

1. We need to schedule Army yearly. The only years missing going forward are 2023 and 2026. They are a regional service academy who is also independent, and they have UMass on the schedule yearly going forward. We should continue to schedule UMass yearly going forward as well.

2. I believe that we should reach out to Army and then UMass about playing our annual game the same week as conference championship weekend. There are only usually eight games played nationally that Saturday (the first in December) so we won't necessarily get "lost in the sauce" by playing that week. Also, it would allow the program an extra bye week and extra scheduling flexibility. I would reach out to Army first because they are the more high profile program.

3. I believe that we should schedule six P5 programs home and home every year (no more and no less). This would give us three P5 home games to keep the fanbase interested. We do a good job getting ACC and Big Ten programs on the future schedules home and home. We just need to bump up the number of P5 games yearly from four to six. (I think it is awesome that we were able to schedule Ole Miss and UNC home and home-keep it up!)

4. I don't think we should be playing body bag games anymore. They do guarantee us a nice check, but they also guarantee us a loss, a game that might be behind a streaming paywall, and a maximum of six home games.

5. I think we need to try to get Boston College to agree to an annual home and home series. They are our New England rival, and we put more people in seats in Chestnut Hill than just about any ACC opponent they face.

6. We need to play only one FCS opponent a year. I know we had issues scheduling this year which forced the scheduling of two FCS opponents, but going forward we need to schedule only once FCS opponent a year. It will allow us to get to a bowl game with six wins, and it will allow us to have a seventh home game every other year if we get rid of the body bag games. Crucially, this game needs to be played in late October or November so that we have scheduling flexibility in September and early October.

7. We need to play two Mountain West teams a year (one at home and one away). This will allow us a minimum of seven games televised on CBS Sports network and will allow us some exposure out west. If we play either UMass/Army yearly the first weekend of December, we will not necessarily have to play a Week 0 game at a MW school who plays Hawaii.

8. We need to play one of USF, Temple, or ECU yearly. They are regional opponents that we are familiar with.

9. We need to avoid at all costs playing any schools from the MAC, C-USA, or Sun Belt. The majority of the fanbase is not familiar with these schools, and when we play them on the road, the game will likely be televised on a streaming service.

10. Finally, I realize that some of these ideas are more difficult than others to enact, but I can ensure you that the vast majority of UConn football fans agree with me on these points.

Here is a potential potential schedule based on my ideas above:
1. Duke
2. @Syracuse
3. Indiana
4. @N.C. State
5. @UNC
BYE
7. Temple
8. Wyoming
9. @Utah State
10. Maine (FCS)
BYE
12. Boston College
13. @UMass
14. Army

Thank you for your consideration and go Huskies!

Let's see if anything comes from it.
Pfffft. You lost me at UMass

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Right? It looked pretty bad yesterday. No food trucks, no kiosks like normal games. It was like a funeral home. With blustery wind.

CL82

Reaction Score
Right? It looked pretty bad yesterday. No food trucks, no kiosks like normal games. It was like a funeral home. With blustery wind.
Remember it so you can appreciate it when things turn around.

Reaction Score
I walked all around the stadium looking for the Guinness stand. The cold windy games always seemed to go better with a Guinness or Sam winter.
Sad.

Reaction Score
After UVA's future games with BYU and Liberty were mutually canceled, sure hope UConn's working with the Wahoos to fill shared scheduling gaps. Due to new conference affiliations, both BYU (Big 12) and Liberty (CUSA) likely need to free up dates. Resulting new UVA scheduling gaps:

Prior BYU games: at UVA 2023, in Provo 2025
Prior Liberty games: at UVA 2023 & 2030, in Lynchburg 2027 & 2029

UConn - FBSchedules.com
2023 Need 2 away, and maybe 3 away games if Liberty's canceled
2025 Need 2 home, and maybe 1 away game if Liberty's canceled
2027 Need 1 home, and 5 away games
2029 Need 5 home, and 5 away games

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
After UVA's future games with BYU and Liberty were mutually canceled, sure hope UConn's working with the Wahoos to fill shared scheduling gaps. Due to new conference affiliations, both BYU (Big 12) and Liberty (CUSA) likely need to free up dates. Resulting new UVA scheduling gaps:

Prior BYU games: at UVA 2023, in Provo 2025
Prior Liberty games: at UVA 2023 & 2030, in Lynchburg 2027 & 2029

UConn - FBSchedules.com
2023 Need 2 away, and maybe 3 away games if Liberty's canceled
2025 Need 2 home, and maybe 1 away game if Liberty's canceled
2027 Need 1 home, and 5 away games
2029 Need 5 home, and 5 away games
23/25: Perfect for a home and home with UVA

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I am assuming we are dropping Liberty and adding UMass for 2023. That leaves us with two games. One of those needs to be a road P5 game (with the home half in 24 or 25). Preferably the other is Army or a MW school.
For the P5 game our options based on P5 teams having openings in 2023 include:
Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt, Virginia, UCF, Kansas, Oklahoma, Auburn, Alabama.
I think only Northwestern, GaTech, Pitt, Virginia, Kansas, and UCF would do a home and home with us. I would be content with any of those.

Edit: I wouldn't be opposed to getting a home and home with someone like Kansas and getting another pay day game against Alabama.

Reaction Score
Sorry, really not too excited about renewing the rivalry with UMass. We can play them, but a rivalry game? We’re aiming higher.
You aim at what you can reasonably hit. UMass is already locked in yearly for the next decade so why not make the most you can out of it?

Reaction Score
Just one suggestion when doing advocacy. Focus on just one thing and sell the heck out of it. Throwing a lot of ideas into the mix generally isn't effective. JMHO.

But I like the concept of playing UMass on either rivalry or championship weekend. Every year. In perpetuity. Well done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom