Saylor's camp a success (Following NIL rules) | The Boneyard

Saylor's camp a success (Following NIL rules)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Showing her charity stripes: Former Middletown star Poffenbarger gives back through basketball camp | Collegiate | fredericknewspost.com

Twenty middle-school aged girls from all over Central Maryland spent $80 dollars to partake in basketball activities and receive instruction from Poffenbarger, who currently plays for the most prominent women’s basketball team in the country at the University of Connecticut.
“A lot of girls will ask to individually train with me, and, with my schedule, it’s just super hectic. So, it’s hard for me to individually train a lot of people,” Poffenbarger said.

So, she decided on a two-day basketball camp earlier this summer, which would allow her to work with a wide-range of girls in a pair of five-hour sessions. She had to limit the number of campers to 20 to give each one as much individual attention as possible.
And within 48 hours of news going out about the camp through word of mouth, email and social media, all of the spots were filled.

Poffenbarger is back to full health after suffering a stress fracture in her back during her first season at UConn. She did not require surgery.
In the last four years, she has had two surgeries to repair torn labrums in both of her hips. “I have like 70-year-old injuries,” she said sheepishly.

Poffenbarger will head back to UConn on Aug. 28. She looks forward to her first full season with the team and playing in front of larger crowds.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Paige has talked about using the NIL for charity causes, which I think she will. Saylor actually did it and it's great to see a young athlete use the NIL in this way, not just to make money for herself. Hope this gets some play locally in the media that follows UConn WBB but also nationally. I know it's small scale but a positive story.

Reaction Score
I continue to be blown away by the genuine character of the women who wear UConn's uniform. So refreshing in this "me" generation.
I agree. Are they this way to begin with and Geno just finds them out, or does the UCONN jersey transform them, or a little of both?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I wonder if she would have been allowed to wear her UConn Jersey or Cap while conducting the Training Sessions. It seems UConn should allow players to have UConn on their T's or wear their Training Outfit if its for a charitable event that doesn't advertise a Product or Service.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder if she would have been allowed to wear her UConn Jersey or Cap while conducting the Training Sessions. It seems UConn should allow players to have UConn on their T's or wear their Training Outfit if its for a charitable event that doesn't advertise a Product or Service.
Since everyone in camp undoubtedly knows Saylor is part of UConn, it is not worth it to get into some legal issues

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I agree. Are they this way to begin with and Geno just finds them out, or does the UCONN jersey transform them, or a little of both?
I thk it begins in the recruiting process, the staff really does their homework and checks all the boxes , do they have "Helicopter" Parents, are they me first players, are they responsible, will they put in maximum effort to make Uconn as a TEAM great, and are they willing to accept the challenge of the boot camp like practices to bring out the best in themselves. Being nice and caring towards others also seem to be a requirement.

Reaction Score
Paige has talked about using the NIL for charity causes, which I think she will. Saylor actually did it and it's great to see a young athlete use the NIL in this way, not just to make money for herself. Hope this gets some play locally in the media that follows UConn WBB but also nationally. I know it's small scale but a positive story.
Azzi

Reaction Score
Or maybe you have misjudged an entire generation of people? Do you guys simply think those of us in the younger generations all suck unless we don a UCONN uniform or play for Geno?
No, but your entire generation is not out there doing what Saylor did. No generation of human beings does that. If that were true, the world would be transformed very shortly into Utopia. Perhaps it is you who has misjudged the transformative effect of that magic jersey.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Or maybe you have misjudged an entire generation of people? Do you guys simply think those of us in the younger generations all suck unless we don a UCONN uniform or play for Geno?
No we don't and that's not what most of us feel. There are outstanding people in every generation. Just as there are people in every generation that suck.

Reaction Score
Of course not...but if you were fortunate enough to ever don a UConn (spelling corrected without malice) uniform and play for Geno you’d never regret it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom