Saturday Morning | The Boneyard

Saturday Morning

Reaction Score
I am something of a sports nut, and have been all of my life. Although I played multiple sports in my youth, and was pretty decent in a few, I was never even close to achieving the kind of “elite athlete” status that would have resulted in anything more than a lifetime mainly as a spectator and a fan. While I, like most thinking folks, know that baseball is, by far, the greatest game ever invented, I am nevertheless an avid follower of pretty much all the major sports (I don’t consider watching other people driving cars real fast around a track a sport). Owing to circumstances that are unique to my life, and are of no interest to anyone else, I, like most folks, root for certain favorite teams (Saints, LSU, Yankees, UConn WBB) and root with almost equal ferocity against others (Red Sox, Patriots, Notre Dame, Cowboys). I’ve got my reasons, to which you should be entirely indifferent, just as I am to yours. My career in healthcare had nothing to do with sports, other than to repair damage to young people’s bodies created by their athletic endeavors.

I consider myself lucky because all of the teams for which I so ardently root have had their share of success. None of them win all of the time (UConn WBB, of course, comes closest), and I fully recognize that this is a good thing. I’m disappointed, sometimes bitterly, anytime any of them lose, but such contingencies never cause a loss of sleep or a change in personality…these are, after all, just sports.

I write this drivel because it is 8AM on Saturday morning, and, while my wife sleeps in, I am sitting here with my cup of coffee in a more anticipatory mood at this early hour than usual. Why? It’s easy: the young women of UConn have a game in a few hours and I’m excited to watch, just as I was a couple of nights ago when, alas, they played a tougher opponent and lost. I realize that I am not the least bit less excited than I would have been had the Huskies been coming off a typical win. OK, they lost…big deal! My life goes on, and my enthusiasm for the team’s fortunes, for better or worse, is undiminished. Maybe it’s because all of our lives are marked by successes and failures, but I identify with the current iteration of this team even more because of the struggles that ensue from being somewhat less talented than previous versions. But I can’t wait for noon to get here! Do you feel differently than I because, after eighteen or so tries, Louisville finally handed our favorite team a loss? Really?

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Awww..... that was such a pleasant read.

Avidly support the Cowboys, Mississippi State all sports, 90s-era Bulls, and the US Women's Soccer Team.

It's a pity the refs screwed your Saints out of a Super Bowl game, but my Cowboys' defense just got ran over by the same team, and Dak didn't get a chance to make a final comeback because they ran out the clock. But all cheers here! UConn lost to a formidable opponent. Like you, I'm always excited and ready for gameday. Bring on Bama Sunday morning! And GO Huskies against the Bearcats!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I am something of a sports nut, and have been all of my life. Although I played multiple sports in my youth, and was pretty decent in a few, I was never even close to achieving the kind of “elite athlete” status that would have resulted in anything more than a lifetime mainly as a spectator and a fan. While I, like most thinking folks, know that baseball is, by far, the greatest game ever invented, I am nevertheless an avid follower of pretty much all the major sports (I don’t consider watching other people driving cars real fast around a track a sport). Owing to circumstances that are unique to my life, and are of no interest to anyone else, I, like most folks, root for certain favorite teams (Saints, LSU, Yankees, UConn WBB) and root with almost equal ferocity against others (Red Sox, Patriots, Notre Dame, Cowboys). I’ve got my reasons, to which you should be entirely indifferent, just as I am to yours. My career in healthcare had nothing to do with sports, other than to repair damage to young people’s bodies created by their athletic endeavors.

I consider myself lucky because all of the teams for which I so ardently root have had their share of success. None of them win all of the time (UConn WBB, of course, comes closest), and I fully recognize that this is a good thing. I’m disappointed, sometimes bitterly, anytime any of them lose, but such contingencies never cause a loss of sleep or a change in personality…these are, after all, just sports.

I write this drivel because it is 8AM on Saturday morning, and, while my wife sleeps in, I am sitting here with my cup of coffee in a more anticipatory mood at this early hour than usual. Why? It’s easy: the young women of UConn have a game in a few hours and I’m excited to watch, just as I was a couple of nights ago when, alas, they played a tougher opponent and lost. I realize that I am not the least bit less excited than I would have been had the Huskies been coming off a typical win. OK, they lost…big deal! My life goes on, and my enthusiasm for the team’s fortunes, for better or worse, is undiminished. Maybe it’s because all of our lives are marked by successes and failures, but I identify with the current iteration of this team even more because of the struggles that ensue from being somewhat less talented than previous versions. But I can’t wait for noon to get here! Do you feel differently than I because, after eighteen or so tries, Louisville finally handed our favorite team a loss? Really?
Good read. I am even more happy to watch UConn WBB now than before the Louisville game. I can hope to see progress, and some planning, and a game without the predetermined outcome of past seasons. The days of 50 point blowouts were really not that interesting. Some may miss the fluid perfection of past teams, and I do too. But the prospect of seeing these kids claw back their confidence, and write their own chapter is somehow more enticing. :) Go huskies!

Reaction Score
Good Saturday Morning... Like You, I too am looking forward to watching today's game. Unfortunately, unlike you I was out shoveling my neighbor's sidewalk that my wife volunteered me for since they are out of town!! :eek::mad:

I enjoy UCONN WBB more than most other sports and Teams in other sports. :):) Sure I have my favorite MLB, NFL and NCAA FB teams...but UCONN WBB is where I go for the most enjoyment of watching sports.:):cool: And, I am excited that I will be at Gampel next Saturday!!:D:D My wife is prone to ask, "how can you enjoy watching when you know they are going to win?" My answer is always, it's the way they play the game! The TEAM ball that i have not seen replicated in any other WBB or other Basketball team at pretty much any level. To me it's always fun to watch the way they share the ball and make the extra pass, etc, etc. to come out with the best TEAM win. Unfortunately now, when UCONN is down by 2 in the middle of the 2nd quarter, my wife often says... "They are in trouble"... and it blows my mind! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Life about success and failure. I agree. But Uconn women's losses are NOT failures. They are only losses.
When you lose to a taller, more aggressive team at home--that is ONLY a loss not a FAILURE. Both Baylor and Louisville had bigger post. Uconn played them head to head for more than 3/4ths the game--certainly not any failure on the part of these Uconn kids.
I'm sorry Petunia--nice morning story, hope your wife awakes in time to see the Uconn vs Cinci game.
Im probably in the minority that will and have watched these young wome win and lose, some NC's some none, some FF's some not--and I shall untit I can't watch any longer.
I just wanted to assure readers Uconn didn't fail--they ONLY LOST.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I must be in the minority here...I grew up in Western Massachusetts so my favorite teams are the Bosox and Patriots even though I don't get to see them that much, living in NC. I dislike the Jets, Steelers, Giants (even though they were our home team on tv when I grew up), Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers. Oh, ND is one of the college teams I hate in every sport followed by the Big 10 conference.
But more to the OP, being retired I have found that I am so grateful for the Husky game replays site and my Smart tv. I keep watching games over and over, just to do something during the day and even in evenings if there aren't any live WBB games on and nothing on mainstream television.
So right now I am just waiting for 11:30AM and watching the Huskies play another game!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom