Sanogo was 3-11 against Gonzaga | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sanogo was 3-11 against Gonzaga

Reaction Score
I can see Larranaga packing the paint to neutralize Sanogo and Clingan and daring UConn to hit 3s.
Based on tournament play so far that would be a gift. I think they do the opposite, limit 3s, transition opportunities and to try to keep up with UConns 2pt offense

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He was doubled most of the game. Add AJs points off Sanogo's assists and you have a very standard production output.

Nothing to see here.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This exactly. It can't be an ego thing where he feels compelled to overpower Omier, which incredibly difficult. Remember the game in Omaha? Sanogo was scoring against Kalkbrenner and Kalkbrenner tried to return the favor by scoring on Sanogo and not only did Kalkbrenner fail it was taking Creighton out of the flow of their offense. UConn can't do that.

I can see Larranaga packing the paint to neutralize Sanogo and Clingan and daring UConn to hit 3s. The shooters for UConn need to have that aggressive scorers mentality if that happens. Don't get the case of the yips and don't lose confidence if a few are misses.
Then, he dies.

Reaction Score
Best passing game of the year, 10 Rebounds, 6 Assists, 1 block, only 1 TO, and contributed mightily to a suffocating team defense of the most efficient offensive team in the country.

I'm sure he is prideful, and he should be very proud of his performance.

The numbers he put up in what was seemingly a “down” game for him in comparison to his other games, I thought he would be the MVP of the West.

Reaction Score
In the post game exuberance a lot of people lost sight that we shot pretty poorly and were helped by the fact that Gonzaga had one of the worst shooting efforts I've ever seen. Even uncontested shots yielded airballs from them. We shoot like that again and we don't make it past Saturday.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been discussed much because we won by a thousand points. But that might have been his worse shooting game of the year.

Although it hasn't been much noticed, I'm sure Adama noticed. He has the rep as a very prideful dude. I suspect he will work very hard to have a better offensive game versus Miami. I look for him to be quite motivated.

Thank god you included your comments compared to the thread title. The title got my Irish up, luckily I read your post.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the post game exuberance a lot of people lost sight that we shot pretty poorly and were helped by the fact that Gonzaga had one of the worst shooting efforts I've ever seen. Even uncontested shots yielded airballs from them. We shoot like that again and we don't make it past Saturday.

laugh-mock.gif

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The numbers he put up in what was seemingly a “down” game for him in comparison to his other games, I thought he would be the MVP of the West.
MOP may have been given to Hawkins (who did earn it), but three Huskies could have laid claim to it, in Sanogo and Jackson as well.

MVP (MOP) is mainly an award for offense. Make no mistake on the size on Sanogo's contribution in disrupting Gonzaga's offense. Not only was Timme neutralized, their guards seemed timid to dribble drive and resorted to taking 13 foot floaters.

Reaction Score

It was literally one of the most lopsided regional finals in the history of the tournament. You can try to make it seem like an ominous result but you’re fighting an uphill battle.

Reaction Score
Watson is a very good defender and they threw a ton of help at Adama. If Miami lets him go 1v1 he’ll eat. His footwork is too crisp and Omier can get in foul trouble. If they try to help he’ll evidently find the open man.
How did key on Sanogo work out for them?
Miami won’t make that mistake

Reaction Score
MOP may have been given to Hawkins (who did earn it), but three Huskies could have laid claim to it, in Sanogo and Jackson as well.

MVP (MOP) is mainly an award for offense. Make no mistake on the size on Sanogo's contribution in disrupting Gonzaga's offense. Not only was Timme neutralized, their guards seemed timid to dribble drive and resorted to taking 13 foot floaters.

He was good but when Clingan had his minutes this was even more noticeable. The Zags timid mess when the big kid was in was close to laughable. Most passed back out while Timme himself just missed badly in his attempts.

Reaction Score
The kid didn’t eat or drink for a whole day. There is no way you perform at a high level like that.
I wonder if RamaDama had an effect on him. He was short all night long.
Just some thoughts:

Kyrie dropped 34 (on 12 of 15 shooting) while fasting during a play-in game last year.

Jaylen Brown dropped 41 while fasting two days ago against the Spurs.

Hakeem Olajuwon won NBA player of the month in February ‘95, during Ramadan. There were a bunch of afternoon games that required fasting nearly the entire game. His teammate Robert Horry said: “There are 48 minutes to a game and for you to play 42 minutes of that 48 and not even be able to take a sip of water, that is just phenomenal.”

Mo Salah and other EPL players are fasting until mid game this season. I think we can all agree that professional soccer has grueling cardio demands, maybe even significantly more than college basketball.

Point is: our bodies are remarkably capable and can perform at high levels (maybe even higher levels) during a focused period like fasting. I’ve been defending Ramadan quite a bit around here the past couple of weeks, but simple research into the topic would reveal plenty of material on athletes performing perfectly fine during fasting.

Reaction Score
The kid didn’t eat or drink for a whole day. There is no way you perform at a high level like that. He’ll be banging just fine on Sat.
I feel like a lot of folks may be overstating this. I used to work with someone that observed and the rules are dawn to sundown, so this guy and his family would wake up pre-dawn, have a pretty big meal, and that would carry them through. This is not the same as Jewish fasting on Yom Kippur for example, where they’re required to fast from sundown to sundown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It hasn't been discussed much because we won by a thousand points. But that might have been his worse shooting game of the year.

Although it hasn't been much noticed, I'm sure Adama noticed. He has the rep as a very prideful dude. I suspect he will work very hard to have a better offensive game versus Miami. I look for him to be quite motivated.
Not easy fasting before the game and playing at a high level

Reaction Score
I feel like a lot of folks may be overstating this. I used to work with someone that observed and the rules are dawn to sundown, so this guy and his family would wake up pre-dawn, have a pretty big meal, and that would carry them through. This is not the same as Jewish fasting on Yom Kippur for example, where they’re required to fast from sundown to sundown.
I think it isn’t unless you're exerting energy at an exceptionally high sustained level. If you’re not able to hydrate, it’s amazing how fast it can affect you.

Reaction Score
I think it isn’t unless you're exerting energy at an exceptionally high sustained level. If you’re not able to hydrate, it’s amazing how fast it can affect you.
The hydration is definitely a bigger issue, but my guess is the dude was putting away an uncomfortable amount of food and liquids for his pre-fast meal. Should be essentially a total non-factor on Saturday as he'll be able to hydrate during the entire game.

Reaction Score
He has 10 minutes before the game starts to hydrate. Keep him in the locker room and put an IV in him. Start Clingan.

When you hydrate its critical to do so before competing. Hydrating after helps, but it takes awhile for the body to assimilate…it’s not like an immediate positive effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom