Sanogo wants more PT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sanogo wants more PT

Reaction Score
Kids are sensitive at this level. Especially freshmen with nba aspirations. If he feels the coach isn't in his corner or doesn't believe in him a transfer is extremely possible. Hurley needs to talk to him and they need to get on the same page asap. Hurley needs to explain his plans for him this season and beyond and help Sanogo understand that is needed and wanted and that he will be getting a lot more pt.

I know a kid that went through something like this. He actually went into his coaches office to discuss transferring after a disappointing season of low pt. The coach started by apologizing for not giving him more pt and explained how much he'll need him next season and how much pt hey is going to get ect. In this case it was enough for the kid to stay. Will it be for Sanogo? That's a huge risk to take. Dan better set it straight yesterday.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Interesting thread to say the least.
1) I was astonished how polished Sanogo looked with footwork and using both hands on offense. Looked like his confidence is really coming on and he is just scratching the surface. The growing confidence will allow him to be more aggressive without getting into foolish fouls. Really bright future. This was a coming out party.

2) It was obvious to everyone that Polly cannot stay with anyone defensively who drives to the rim. That would seem to say he is a big and not a wing or guard on defense. At 6-9 that is not so surprising. He had 26 minutes and ONE rebound. If he could stay with his man he could defend perimeter and to the rim but he could not. He was off on 3 point shooting, When he is off he needs to sit because the ENTIRE reason for him being on the floor at all is catch and shoot or transition 3's and this has to make up for deficient defense. It would be wonderful if he was able to execute on defense but not really sure if he even has the talent at this level. He cannot play inside or rebound.

Conclusion: More PT for Sanogo and less PT for Polly. You want your seniors on the floor if possible but not if they cannot compete for minutes.

Reaction Score
I understand the matchup issues but let’s be honest. St johns small ball lineup isn’t the 2015 Warriors. There were opportunities in the second half for Sanogo even if that meant subbing him in and out a few times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want a full Calhoun "I duck*ed up" speech. Apologies don't mean crap if he doesn't realize why everyone is so mad
You want snarky sarcasm at a time like this?

Reaction Score
I just watched some of the Xavier St Johns game and every time Xavier went zone St Johns struggled. And guess what Xavier won that game. If some knows Coach Hurley personally on here please plead with him to try zone and pound it inside to our bigs next time we play those clowns.
He hasn’t played a zone at all this season. Do they even practice it?

Reaction Score
Imagine comparing a freshman big averaging 4pts a game on 53% shooting to NPOY emeka okafor?
I think Akok is demanding more playing time also. Javonte Brown wanted more playing time too. Not easy being a coach that’s why they get paid a lot of dough.

Reaction Score
I think Akok is demanding more playing time also. Javonte Brown wanted more playing time too. Not easy being a coach that’s why they get paid a lot of dough.
Being objective about it from what I have viewed, Sanogo's request (based on results) seems a better argument.

Not his fault coming back from an injury, but Akok does look tentative. I suppose giving him a few more minutes when he is playing and seeing what happens, is an option. Problem is that most games are close, and quality play is at a premium. If those extra minutes are non-productive, it is a lost opportunity for the team.

If you lost momentum and a chance to build a lead, or maintain one, it could be costly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Being objective about it from what I have viewed, Sanogo's request (based on results) seems a better argument.

Not his fault coming back from an injury, but Akok does look tentative. I suppose giving him a few more minutes when he is playing and seeing what happens, is an option. Problem is that most games are close, and quality play is at a premium. If those extra minutes are non-productive, it is a lost opportunity for the team.

If you lost momentum and a chance to build a lead, or maintain one, it could be costly.

I don't know where this comes from. He barely played. I saw him make a great hustle play jumping out of bounds to save the ball for us. What was remarkable was that despite starting by going the opposite direction out of bounds, he was the first Husky down court. We need that.

The worst player on the court for UConn against St. Johns was Polley. And there was no close second. If Hurley is going to insist on playing Whaley at the 5, and sitting Sanogo and Josh, then Akok is a much, much better option at the 4. He is excellent at recovering to the rim and affecting shots. Polley provides about as much interior defense as a kitten. I never, ever want to see Polley at the 4 again. If we need him to shoot at the 3, fine.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

This is just a weak look from a guy with so much intensity. I'd expect a comment like this from the previous regime, but sad to see if coming from the current staff. They need to reevaluate how they prepare their game scripts and focus being the team that dictates the game, especially when you have an unstoppable force like Sanogo was today. The fact he couldn't figure out how to exploit St. Johns small ball with Sanogo playing out of his mind inside is a little scary and eyeopening. Instead he let us our poor perimeter defenders get exploited by St Johns.

I'd expect a comment like this from the previous regime
I can guarantee you, coming from an expansive NBA learning experience KO would have never said that at all. In fact it is such an incredibly stupid statement, made because DH felt he had to say something, it may give you an inside look at the thinking of the man in charge. Let's hope it was a misstep and it has resulted in some honest discussion between coach and player. Let's wait and see what happens down the immediate road.

Reaction Score
Sanogo wants to be on the floor. I don't want to see him move on. However, I'm glad he feels that way. You want all your players thinking they should be out there. I just think most of us agree with him in this instance.

Reaction Score
Anybody want to speculate on the match-ups for Saturday's game vs Creighton? Sanogo on Bishop? And Bishop (or the backup center) plays a lot. So hopefully Hurley gives Sanogo plenty of minutes.

Then Whaley on Jefferson? I guess....?

Reaction Score
Just speculating, but I wonder if DH’s propensity to play small ball comes from him having coached at Wagner then URI?

In those leagues everyone plays with one big and then a bunch of guards and tweeners.

Maybe DH reverts to that comfort zone even though this level BB you want multiple talented bigs on the floor.. Nova might be the exception.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom