Sanogo Feat | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sanogo Feat

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Appreciate the enthusiasm for our guys... but no, not at all man. Harrell has defensive versatility, speed and perimeter skill that Sanogo isn't sniffing.

Some of the hot takes on here somehow are making it necessary for me to put down a super talented players of ours. Good grief.
Montrez Harrell is an 11% 3 pt shooter for his career. Also I think we will see Sanogo further out on his shots as he develops the next phase of his game

Reaction Score
The Harrell comparison isn't perfect as Harrell is your classic NBA "energy guy" who is really quick off his feet. Where Sanogo is underestimated is in his soft touch. While he missed free throws the other night, his stroke is fairly pure and I have no doubt he will extend his stoke beyond the three point line as his career continues whether professionally or in college. More importantly, while he doesn't have "hops" per se, he is excellent moving his feet laterally and that is how he gets so many blocks. He slides to help and he is in position for the block. Finally, while I don't have the stats I'm confident he leads the teams in dunks on a team with Jackson and Martin so it's not true that he is earthbound.

Reaction Score
Montrez Harrell is an 11% 3 pt shooter for his career. Also I think we will see Sanogo further out on his shots as he develops the next phase of his game

Point out where I said Harrell could shoot. I didn't.

He has perimeter skills. I didn't say he had all the perimeter skills. He defends the perimeter in a way Sanogo never will. He has handles, jab steps, crossovers etc. He operates from the mid-post like a PF before the NBA got 3-happy. He's also longer and way, way more athletic than Sanogo is.

Sanogo is a back to the basket, old school center. Comparing him to a guy with a 10 year NBA career that doesn't even have a similar skillset is unfair.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Harrell comparison isn't perfect as Harrell is your classic NBA "energy guy" who is really quick off his feet. Where Sanogo is underestimated is in his soft touch. While he missed free throws the other night, his stroke is fairly pure and I have no doubt he will extend his stoke beyond the three point line as his career continues whether professionally or in college. More importantly, while he doesn't have "hops" per se, he is excellent moving his feet laterally and that is how he gets so many blocks. He slides to help and he is in position for the block. Finally, while I don't have the stats I'm confident he leads the teams in dunks on a team with Jackson and Martin so it's not true that he is earthbound.

Sanogo does not move his feet well laterally. It's probably his biggest weakness as a player. It's basically the only reason he gets in foul trouble.

Agree on everything else though.

Reaction Score
I can't believe the criticism of Adama's game after his last 2 performances. He,'s barely into sophomore year and improving every game. Unbelievable

Reaction Score
I can't believe the criticism of Adama's game after his last 2 performances. He,'s barely into sophomore year and improving every game. Unbelievable
The only people I see being critical are doing so in a very analytical way. There doesn't seem to be any weird non-performance related dynamic to the criticism in the way that there is, for example, with Cole. I think most or all of the people offering critiques will also tell you that Sanogo is a monster and one of the best players in the Big East.

Reaction Score

No one is criticizing him. He's a phenomenal player. Saying he isn't as athletic as a 10 year NBA vet who was drafted because of his athleticism isn't criticism. Saying he doesn't have the perimeter skillset of someone who plays A DIFFERENT POSITION isn't criticism. It's realism. Harrell isn't gonna post anyone up or finish as softly as Sanogo either. They're totally different players. That isn't criticism--it's a fact.

Sanogo is super skilled around the basket, and plays tough interior defense. Ignoring that and claiming he's got the skillset of a face-up, super athletic power forward is a discredit to the hard work that Sanogo has put in to develop his own skills despite having some height and athleticism limitations when he stepped on campus.

We can debate whether or not Sanogo's skillset will allow him to be drafted another time. But we need to establish what that skillset even IS before we can have a realistic discussion. I can say he'll be drafted because he has handles like Kemba, passes like Jokic, and the athleticism of a prime Lebron. Just because I say it doesn't mean it's accurate, and it's certainly not a criticism to say he is NOT those guys. Just as saying is NOT Harrell isn't criticism, it's evaluation.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NBA doesn't have a place for 6'8 earthbound, traditional bigs any more. The kid is a hell of player and will Mke a living playing this game, but it won't be in the league.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't see anything that suggests he can't learn to shoot from outside. His made range jumper looks good, even if he rarely takes it. In the very few times I've seen him put the ball on the floor and attack, he actually seems quite good at it.

I think he can become a Grant Williams type player, and he has arguably better interior offensive and defensive skills than Williams.

Reaction Score
My thing is that he is adding and improving rapidly. Saying he is limited in this or that can change quickly with this guy. The NBA will love him I predict at the rate he's going.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He definitely doesn’t have a game at the moment that has a natural fit in today’s NBA. That’s pretty indisputable. However, given how he works, his ridiculous strength and touch, I wouldn’t bet against him figuring out a game style with his ability that works in the NBA. Hard to see how he could ever be a first rounder but I don’t think it’s overly far fetched to see him as a second rounder who finds a way to be effective.

He hasn’t been playing that long so he has a very narrow game at this point and is still unreal in terms of how effective he is. He made the two athletic 7+ foot, defensive stoppers he played against this year (Kessler and Obiagu) look like they didn’t belong on the court. His biggest challenge is probably his raw foot speed, but he’s got a lot of other things going for him.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything that suggests he can't learn to shoot from outside. His made range jumper looks good, even if he rarely takes it. In the very few times I've seen him put the ball on the floor and attack, he actually seems quite good at it.

I think he can become a Grant Williams type player, and he has arguably better interior offensive and defensive skills than Williams.
Yeah the midrange shot has been money for him this year. He's taken at least 3 or 4 and I feel like he's made every single one.

Remember when he took a 3 early in the Auburn game? What was up with that? Maybe just feeling it? To date that's his only career attempt.

Reaction Score
He definitely doesn’t have a game at the moment that has a natural fit in today’s NBA. That’s pretty indisputable. However, given how he works, his ridiculous strength and touch, I wouldn’t bet against him figuring out a game style with his ability that works in the NBA. Hard to see how he could ever be a first rounder but I don’t think it’s overly far fetched to see him as a second rounder who finds a way to be effective.

He hasn’t been playing that long so he has a very narrow game at this point and is still unreal in terms of how effective he is. He made the two athletic 7+ foot, defensive stoppers he played against this year (Kessler and Obiagu) look like they didn’t belong on the court. His biggest challenge is probably his raw foot speed, but he’s got a lot of other things going for him.
So he has none of the skills of Okafor who did more than OK in the NBA? Close in size, strength,rebounding, scoring, blocking shots at the same point in their careers. Remember it's blasphemy to say their names in the same sentence.

Reaction Score
So he has none of the skills of Okafor who did more than OK in the NBA? Close in size, strength,rebounding, scoring, blocking shots at the same point in their careers. Remember it's blasphemy to say their names in the same sentence.
No they have a lot of overlapping skills. The difference is Emeka Okafor was drafted into the NBA in 2004 and Sanogo is looking to be drafted into the modern NBA who's looking for a different set of skills in their big men

Reaction Score
I know nothing of the NBA, past or present, but I see other posters saying that the game has changed a lot over recent years. Okafor got drafted in 2004, 18 years ago.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Okafor entered the NBA almost 20 years ago, and I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the league has changed a little in terms of how bigs are used. As a litmus test, Kofi Cockburn and Oscar Tshiebwe would have both been top 10 picks in Okafors day and now it’s not even a guarantee that a team will draft either in the second round.

Reaction Score
No they have a lot of overlapping skills. The difference is Emeka Okafor was drafted into the NBA in 2004 and Sanogo is looking to be drafted into the modern NBA who's looking for a different set of skills in their big men
Yeah you’re right, they rebound and shoot very differently now. 6’9” 250-260 block of granite, who would need him? Maybe he can find a job in Equador.

Reaction Score
Yeah you’re right, they rebound and shoot very differently now. 6’9” 250-260 block of granite, who would need him? Maybe he can find a job in Equador.
Didn't know you were on the Boneyard, Mrs. Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Why did you even ask the question if you didn't care about the answer? But yes, they actually do shoot differently in the NBA now which is one of the reasons he's not a runaway lottery pick. And it's Ecuador

Reaction Score
While not a high flyer he didn’t look earthbound last night. One thing that doesn’t get mentioned is Adama has amazing endurance for someone his size. Sanogo is proving to be the best big in the BE. I’m looking forward to his matchup with Watson.
He has many more dunks this year compared to last year. He has also drastically improved on moving laterally on defense (Whaley taught him the hard hedge well!). He’s still not an explosive leaper and probably never will be, but he damn sure gets the most out of his abilities. I will not be surprised when he develops a 3 point shot. Even with these improvements, will he fit the modern nba game? Probably not. But you can’t rule it out because of how quickly he’s improved on these things and his work ethic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom