San Francisco city tours? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

San Francisco city tours?

Reaction Score
100% go to the Mission for a late afternoon walk to see all the street art and parlay that into taco night.

Avoid Nod Hill area. It's fun to exhaust yourself walking up the steepest city sidewalks I've seen in my life, but it's a boring neighborhoods. Kinda like going all the way to Manhattan to walk about the Upper East Side.
Perhaps, but the view from the Top of the Mark is one of the best in the city. Coit Tower is also a good place to see the city and bay.

Down by city hall is now a large open air toilet. Most of BART is a homeless shelter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I lived there for a year from 1989-90 and have visited often. Strong second (or third) the House of Nanking recommendation, as well as Pork Store Cafe for breakfast if you want to check out the Haight-Ashbury area. The Toronado in the Lower Haight is one of the original craft beer bars in the country and still one of the best. Very chill scene and great selection.

I prefer Mama's Cafe in Washington Square for breakfast. Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store in North Beach for excellent paninis. Agree with City Lights bookstore; also go check out some live blues music at The Saloon, also in North Beach. Oldest bar in SF iirc; and still free every night I believe.

Agree that getting a drink at the Top of the Mark in Nob Hill is worth the view.

Ferry Building very good for ambling, eating and shopping.

Very cool old arcade museum called Musée Mécanique on Fisherman's Wharf with hundreds of old coin-operated games you can play.

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Go to Sam's Anchor Cafe in Tiburon for a drink and soak in one of the best scenes and views.

Go to Alamo Square Park and look for the iconic view from the "Full House" intro.

Drive down Lombard Street.

Go to the Apothecarium for your dispensary needs.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
RE: Lombard; That's a negative captain, the local controls now prohibit/discourage tourists. Same problem may occur on the Great Highway (Outer Sunset district) and JFK Drive (in GG Park) as these streets are closed at certain times/days. Indeed the maps need to be updated to reflect the "Slow Streets" projects. There are a number of streets that allow only "local" traffic.

There's a Ferris Wheel in GG park, not sure when they are taking it down (Supes are all up in arms about it) but I hear the view is cool.

Apothecarium is OK but Project Cannabis SOMA has greater selection and better pricing.

Reaction Score
Lots of great options notes already. I will add a couple:

(1) bike ride over Golden Gate to Sausalito. Awesome time and only a couple of hills that are manageable. Pretty cool and scenic along waterfront.
(2) Walt Disney Museum-though I would only recommend if you have been to SF already…I wouldn’t pass up other attractions for this. The museum is fascinating history of Walt, in a nice part of town - there were great food trucks there on the Friday night we were there.

Reaction Score
Napa-two wineries I would highly recommend:

(1) Cade - great setting with views and awesome wines. Their Sauvignon Blancs have been excellent (we have ordered cases on several occasions after our visit and have never been dissapointed).

(2) Bell -love their Cabernets, especially some of their special edition, higher end wines (we do not typically order expensive wines but Bell’s were special).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coit Tower is also a good place to see the city and bay.
So we were just walking around with no particular agenda when we see a weathered sign next to some stairs that said "COIT TOWER" with a arrow. So we started up. Little did we know we were walking up the entirety of Telegraph Hill. Seemed like 20 different stairways. What helped is that we had watched the parrot movie, though we didn't spy any. When we finally made it to the top, the elevator to the Tower was down and it was another 200 or so steps. We ate well that night.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So we were just walking around with no particular agenda when we see a weathered sign next to some stairs that said "COIT TOWER" with a arrow. So we started up. Little did we know we were walking up the entirety of Telegraph Hill. Seemed like 20 different stairways. What helped is that we had watched the parrot movie, though we didn't spy any. When we finally made it to the top, the elevator to the Tower was down and it was another 200 or so steps. We ate well that night.

Coit Tower is pretty much the tourist spot aside from Pier 39. I do think it's a great spot for the views north and east. But if he doesn't have a car, well no, I would not replicate what you did. I always drove up from Santa Clara county.

I'm not aware of any good organized tours, but if @ucjoet goes to Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf, it will be there if there is one. Would probably stop at Coit Tower and some of the other spots mentioned. It's not a great walking city for visitors.

You didn't ask about Napa @ucjoet but I give high marks to several wineries along Silverado Trail. It's just a bit quieter. The strip (Rt 29), really is a lot like the the strip in Vegas. In winter it's better, but in summer its a zoo. If you like modern art (I don't know anyone who does) Hess has a modern art gallery, and is a nice mountain winery west of 29. Hidden Gem: Prager Winery and Port Works. Blink and you'll miss it, it's next to Sutter Home (Yech).

Sonoma is quieter. BR Cohn was a tiny place when I first went, but fond memories. It seems quite nice now. Bruce Richard Cohn was the manager of the Doobie Brothers. Sebastiani is an easy stop in the city of Sonoma, before or after a meal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This seems timely.

Reaction Score
This seems timely.

You can distill this all into "don't be an @-hole". The tasting room folks see so many pretentious folks come in and out, just be a normal person and shoot the breeze with them about whatever. Most in Napa I've come across (especially in less touristy/crowded tasting rooms), love to just chat and will start bringing out the off-menu high end stuff much of the time. And my god, the most enjoyable activity in Napa is people-watching the pretentious @-holes.

Reaction Score
First thanks for all the suggestions. We finally booked a hotel at Fisherman’s Warf ( Hotel Caza). We realize it is a busy tourist area. But we are only there from late Saturday afternoon and leaving Early Monday for Napa. After 4 days in Napa, we head to Yosemite for 3 days. Then Monterey area for last 4 days
So basically have only all day Sunday in SF. Someone in our group wants to take a tour of Alcatraz.
Is this an all day event? Also what are recommendations for restaurants ( or other things to do) in Fisherman’s Warf area.
Again thanks in advance

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
First thanks for all the suggestions. We finally booked a hotel at Fisherman’s Warf ( Hotel Caza). We realize it is a busy tourist area. But we are only there from late Saturday afternoon and leaving Early Monday for Napa. After 4 days in Napa, we head to Yosemite for 3 days. Then Monterey area for last 4 days
So basically have only all day Sunday in SF. Someone in our group wants to take a tour of Alcatraz.
Is this an all day event? Also what are recommendations for restaurants ( or other things to do) in Fisherman’s Warf area.
Again thanks in advance

Alcatraz is not all day. A couple of hours if I recall. I do recommend it. I think it's a good tour and you get out on the bay as well with a nice view of the city and Sausalito. It is likely to be a bit cold. In fact, SF in general has huge temp fluctuations from interior to the bay. That water is cold, even in July. Fisherman's Wharf has likely changed too much since my time. Ghirardelli chocolates was often a popular spot.

If you are renting cars as I assume, consider a stop in Santa Cruz on the way to Monterey. It's a really pretty unique small city/surfer town with a beach boardwalk as well. The drive to Santa Cruz from Los Gatos on Highway 17 is rather interesting (dangerous in the rain). Lots or redwoods once you start to get close to Santa Cruz. I used to do it all too often when I was dating a UCSC girl. Capitola by the Sea, south of Santa Cruz along the bay on the way to Monterey is also a spot some people like. Google it to see if your group might.

Reaction Score
Alcatraz is not all day. A couple of hours if I recall. I do recommend it. I think it's a good tour and you get out on the bay as well with a nice view of the city and Sausalito. It is likely to be a bit cold. In fact, SF in general has huge temp fluctuations from interior to the bay. That water is cold, even in July. Fisherman's Wharf has likely changed too much since my time. Ghirardelli chocolates was often a popular spot.

If you are renting cars as I assume, consider a stop in Santa Cruz on the way to Monterey. It's a really pretty unique small city/surfer town with a beach boardwalk as well. The drive to Santa Cruz from Los Gatos on Highway 17 is rather interesting (dangerous in the rain). Lots or redwoods once you start to get close to Santa Cruz. I used to do it all too often when I was dating a UCSC girl. Capitola by the Sea, south of Santa Cruz along the bay on the way to Monterey is also a spot some people like. Google it to see if your group might.
Thanks Huskyhawk. Very helpful info. Will propose to group. Appreciate your recommendations

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Again thanks in advance
Alcatraz tickets can be difficult to obtain, you may wish to attempt getting them prior to arrival.
Pescatore is near your hotel, it's pretty good. It's crab season, which is really good.
In Monterey, Carmel-by-the-Sea is OK. Grey whale migration hasn't started yet, (I think) but whale watching is what I usually do down there. (and kayaking Elkhorn Slough) Casanova in Carmel bt Sea is one of the better places. Avoid the Pepe's empire restaurants, they aren't that good, but the bakery is OK.
As always: Never leave anything you ever want to see again in the car unattended, especially in the tourist areas. Doesn't matter if it's in the trunk, under the seat, or covered by blankets. Expect the car to be compromised, it just happens.
This is not the city of lights or nights, things slow down at 9:00pm, come to a crawl by 11, and are locked down tight by 1:00. There are a few after hours places but most have curtailed due to the pandemic.

Reaction Score
Alcatraz tickets can be difficult to obtain, you may wish to attempt getting them prior to arrival.
Pescatore is near your hotel, it's pretty good. It's crab season, which is really good.
In Monterey, Carmel-by-the-Sea is OK. Grey whale migration hasn't started yet, (I think) but whale watching is what I usually do down there. (and kayaking Elkhorn Slough) Casanova in Carmel bt Sea is one of the better places. Avoid the Pepe's empire restaurants, they aren't that good, but the bakery is OK.
As always: Never leave anything you ever want to see again in the car unattended, especially in the tourist areas. Doesn't matter if it's in the trunk, under the seat, or covered by blankets. Expect the car to be compromised, it just happens.
This is not the city of lights or nights, things slow down at 9:00pm, come to a crawl by 11, and are locked down tight by 1:00. There are a few after hours places but most have curtailed due to the pandemic.
Thanks for info. We are careful about locking car and not leaving items unattended. Were you referring to San Francisco specifically or all areas we are visiting

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Thanks for info. We are careful about locking car and not leaving items unattended. Were you referring to San Francisco specifically or all areas we are visiting
SF in general, Fisherman's wharf in particular. High amount of break-in's recently with the return of tourism. Yosemite went through a rash of break-ins but I think that ring was busted, or likely doesn't work winters. In my 30 years visiting the park never got a bear break in either - cars on both sides of mine were once. Never had a break in in Carmel or Monterey although I am sure it happens.

Reaction Score
Just happened upon this thread, lots of good info. We’re going first week of April. Staying in Fisherman’s Wharf. Wife is booking some things to do. Winery tours and Muir Woods/Sausalito are on the schedul. Want to get to Toronado. House of Nanking sounds good. We’re lunch/dinner people. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
Just happened upon this thread, lots of good info. We’re going first week of April. Staying in Fisherman’s Wharf. Wife is booking some things to do. Winery tours and Muir Woods/Sausalito are on the schedul. Want to get to Toronado. House of Nanking sounds good. We’re lunch/dinner people. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
Let me know know your thoughts when you get back. We are going later in the spring. Have a great vacation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom