Samson Johnson question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson question

Reaction Score
Johnson is capable of starting. He needs to bulk up.

If he adds 20 lbs of muscle, he can take the pounding of a whole game.

Clingan weighs like 280 on his frame, no clue what Johnson weighs but more weight would do wonders for his game and draft stock

I think this is right. He may not need 20 pounds but he needs to add strength and some bulk. A elbow jumper, a baby hook, and he needs to learn to set stronger screen without fouling. Suddenly the BY will change opinions.

Reaction Score
SJ should talk w/Hass to learn how and what Hass did to make the radical improvements in his game from last year to this year. If SJ works that hard and gains 20+ pounds in bulk and muscle, and figures out how not to foul (5 fouls in 5 mins played on Monday) he just might move into the starting 5 role. (Questionable at best)

Reaction Score
Chasing greatness is about asking the hard questions and coming back with real, often difficult, answers. SJ was great for us this year, but his PF/40 is still over 7, which does not work for anything other than a positional rotation. I trust our staff to have real, honest, forthcoming conversations with these guys. There's several that need to be had, and definitely not all bad.

Reaction Score
He needs to get on that hilton armstrong diet when he became jacked as an upperclassman and a lottery pick out of nowhere. Either way uconn will need some more size at the 5 to really compete next season

Reaction Score
He's a good back up. Would hate to lose him in the portal becuase he has great value. I do not think UConn can go into the fall with him as the starting center and hope to 3 peat. There are better options available to us. Hopefully we can grab one.

Reaction Score
He jumped big time from last year to this to even become a solid back up. Can he get over a few more hurdles? We will see but who he is right now is still the back up who get plenty of minutes and I hope he accepts that. I’m hoping we keep both he and Hass and even better if they maintain their spots coming off the bench. Although Hass has a better shot at finding his way into the first 5.

Samsons inability to stay out of foul trouble is scary. He can’t help but reach and he doesn’t box out well that means he’s not always reading who and when people are ready to shoot it. There’s fundamental improvements that he needs in big way.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'm expecting 2 things at the center spot for next year (assuming Samson stays)...

A big bruiser type who can give us a different look than Samson gives.

Samson to take a step forward shooting the ball and give us Eric Dixon like utility on the offensive end outside the paint.

I don't know that Samson is big enough to bang as our main center for 32 MPG with big center types like Soriano, Kalk, etc, which the Big East has a ton of. And I think for him to finally realize his potential to play at the next level, he needs to show a more rounded offensive skill set away from the hoop to be a 4 man in the NBA because I'm skeptical he can play the 5 there.

Reaction Score
Clingan looked skinny and frail against Eddy at 275, LOL.
Johnson has opened my eyes this year and he is dangerous on the pick and roll for slams. Catches everyone off guard with his speed and leaping ability. Valuable piece, but we need a banger with shooting skill at the rim. Donovan had that in spades.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting 2 things at the center spot for next year (assuming Samson stays)...

A big bruiser type who can give us a different look than Samson gives.

Samson to take a step forward shooting the ball and give us Eric Dixon like utility on the offensive end outside the paint.

I don't know that Samson is big enough to bang as our main center for 32 MPG with big center types like Soriano, Kalk, etc, which the Big East has a ton of. And I think for him to finally realize his potential to play at the next level, he needs to show a more rounded offensive skill set away from the hoop to be a 4 man in the NBA because I'm skeptical he can play the 5 there.
The reality is, they can’t get through a full season with him playing 30 minutes a game at the center spot. On this team, he’s a perfect back up and maybe could push his minutes up a bit matchup depending & foul concerns from a starting big. I thought he had played well down the stretch and he’s a great change of pace, different look style big for them. He’s just not a forward, he doesn’t possess the passing, shot creation, take a guy off the bounce, shooting etc it takes to play that position. He shot 42% from the line; that’s not gonna cut it at that spot and wouldn’t expect his range to get better given that percentage from the line. He can continue to improve while being a back up, sort of like Diarra did. He definitely brings value when he can play that 10-15 minutes a game role, maybe even to 20 at times. But don’t see the staff moving off that or moving positions for him.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding he can't shoot. But he has the perfect job, He does a great job as a backup center.
Ive seen him shoot very well. He can do it.. more coaching and game reps.

Reaction Score
He's a tall, athletic guy who runs the floor like a deer and has a set of springs in his shoes. Hold on to him like grim death. Either he fixes the dumb fouling and becomes a reliable guy who can start, or he remains a nice chess piece who can get up and down the floor. If he adds a little craftiness to his offensive game, he becomes a nightmare for opposing teams.

Reaction Score
He's a tall, athletic guy who runs the floor like a deer and has a set of springs in his shoes. Hold on to him like grim death. Either he fixes the dumb fouling and becomes a reliable guy who can start, or he remains a nice chess piece who can get up and down the floor. If he adds a little craftiness to his offensive game, he becomes a nightmare for opposing teams.
Yes, I think classifying him as a lob threat and a big that runs the floor well, while both true, understate that he is literally one of the fastest centers I've ever seen running the floor and he can finish any lob thats even somewhat is his vicinity. He explodes to the rim on pick and rolls. It isn't normal, even for an athletic big.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think classifying him as a lob threat and a big that runs the floor well, while both true, understate that he is literally one of the fastest centers I've ever seen running the floor and he can finish any lob thats even somewhat is his vicinity. He explodes to the rim on pick and rolls. It isn't normal, even for an athletic big.
Has to work on the one-handed catches and dunks though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom