Salt Free water softener? | The Boneyard

Salt Free water softener?

Reaction Score
Hi All,

I recently added a tankless water heater, so I need to add a water softener. I'm thinking about going salt free as it just seems so much easier. I know a traditional salt system is better, but I'm wondering if a salt free is 'good enough". In case it matters, I'm looking at the Kind e-3000, which is a whole house filter and softener. I can add their filter only system and a traditional softener for about the same price, but more hassle.

As always, thanks for any/all info

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
how hard is the water coming in? have you tested for total dissolved solids? My well has a lot of minerals like iron & such and have found that a good sediment filter or two in series can remove the majority of solids and in doing so the hardness of the water drops dramatically.
I run a twin big blue with a 5 micron filter in the first position and a 1 micron in the second, my water comes out smooth, clean & comes in at 30-35 ppm total dissolved solids which leaves just enough to keep the water tasting good right out the tap. oh, & not stains on fixtures.

Reaction Score
how hard is the water coming in? have you tested for total dissolved solids? My well has a lot of minerals like iron & such and have found that a good sediment filter or two in series can remove the majority of solids and in doing so the hardness of the water drops dramatically.
I run a twin big blue with a 5 micron filter in the first position and a 1 micron in the second, my water comes out smooth, clean & comes in at 30-35 ppm total dissolved solids which leaves just enough to keep the water tasting good right out the tap. oh, & not stains on fixtures.
Thanks...It's more about the scale buildup in the on demand heater than the taste of the water. Does the 1 micron filter out enough minerals so you don't need a softener?

Reaction Score
Thanks...It's more about the scale buildup in the on demand heater than the taste of the water. Does the 1 micron filter out enough minerals so you don't need a softener?

Do you have city water or well water?

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
1 micron filter will remove plenty of sediment & unwanted minerals which cause the scale & if you are on city water I would definitely use an activated charcoal filter which will remove chlorine & other unwanted additives put into the water by the municipality

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
something like these might be helpful or many other media choices depending on your needs

Reaction Score
something like these might be helpful or many other media choices depending on your needs
Thx

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom