Sacred Heart Announces On-Campus Rink | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart Announces On-Campus Rink

Reaction Score
SHU made a big (formal, official) announcement today. Makes UConn look bush league

SHU To Build Premier Hockey Arena At Its Fairfield Campus - Sacred Heart
Dunno about making UConn look bush league, but Bobby Valentine is turning out to be a helluv'an AD. He's found a niche in CT where SHU can excell and he is pushing hard. I am impressed. Great for college hockey.

Reaction Score
It absolutely makes UConn look terrible.

*Sacred Heart* will have a better on-campus facility than UConn. Sacred Heart is unquestionably one of the five worst hockey programs in the country and has virtually no fans. They get a 3,500+ chairback arena on campus with numerous modern amenities. Meanwhile, UConn is paying more for 2,000-2,500 bleachers to be used for games against the bottom half of Hockey East.

UConn needs to decide whether it wants to take the program seriously. They will continue to get lapped by the competition the longer they play in Hartford.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It absolutely makes UConn look terrible.

*Sacred Heart* will have a better on-campus facility than UConn. Sacred Heart is unquestionably one of the five worst hockey programs in the country and has virtually no fans. They get a 3,500+ chairback arena on campus with numerous modern amenities. Meanwhile, UConn is paying more for 2,000-2,500 bleachers to be used for games against the bottom half of Hockey East.

UConn needs to decide whether it wants to take the program seriously. They will continue to get lapped by the competition the longer they play in Hartford.

You know what? I honestly just laughed when I saw it today. It's so damming of UConn's ambitions I almost appreciate it as a cugel to use against UConn.

They also used a design firm that has built a hockey arena before, unlike UConn, using a bizarre shell corporation for a construction company that's never built a hockey rink. Its stunning.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
It's tough because I'm a Rippowam alum same as Bobby V the man who invented baseball, aka the same as Wynton Marsalis the man who invented jazz

Reaction Score
This is what I was expecting UConn arena to look like in terms of sight lines, capacity and appearance.

Reaction Score
Much as it would hurt me (UConn '74, hockey season ticketholder), I wouldn't blame Hockey East if they reached out to Sacred Heart, and dumped us for not living up to our promises. Even if we actually do (when?) build the rinky-dink 2,500 seat (500 chairbacks!) arena, it will then be the worst on-campus facility among CT's D1 programs. Pretty sad for the state's flagship university.

Reaction Score
the comparison is embarrassing. How is SHU financing the construction?

Reaction Score
Dunno about making UConn look bush league, but Bobby Valentine is turning out to be a helluv'an AD. He's found a niche in CT where SHU can excell and he is pushing hard. I am impressed. Great for college hockey.
They know hockey is one of the best sports to use for marketing their school, given the sport's association with affluence. This is something that has been in the works for at least 6 years.

D1 hockey right up the road from where I live. Very cool. Grew up near GEs former campus, too. The headquarters building is like the Fairfield skyline at Lake Mohegan.

Reaction Score
Have you seen how fast SHU has grown? It used to have near community college status. They are the owners of GEs former headquarters now.

Remains to be seen if they can do outdo the Jesuits on North Benson Road (Fairfield U.) in terms of academics.

This rink will benefit ND-Fairfield against Fairfield Prep, big time.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
A program of excuses. Constant excuses.

Reaction Score
Have you seen how fast SHU has grown? It used to have near community college status. They are the owners of GEs former headquarters now.

Remains to be seen if they can do outdo the Jesuits on North Benson Road (Fairfield U.) in terms of academics.

This rink will benefit ND-Fairfield against Fairfield Prep, big time.
The PBS station on the North Fork of Long Island that we listen to when there originates from SHU with repeater stations like Sag Harbor, etc., actually providing the signal. Great classical music.

Reaction Score
Big difference between a Public University and a Private institution. I don’t believe Sacred Heart has to follow public procurement laws for selecting Architect/Engineer or bidding laws for selecting the Contractor. I believe everything UConn does need to be publicly bid. UConn has to jump through a lot more hoops (no pun intended).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom