OT: - Ryder Cup | The Boneyard

OT: Ryder Cup

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Didn't see a thread on it yet, so started this one.

I think the US is better for not having either Tiger or Phil on the team. I think the EU is worse for thinking Poulter can pull off another amazing run. I'm also astounded how bad the bunker play has been for both squads, regardless of "awkward stances", which seems to be the pat excuse.

Reaction Score
This thing is over. Aside from Rahm, Hov and maybe Fitz - who on the Euro side is good (Rory has been junk for a year+)?
The talent gap is massive this year

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This thing is over. Aside from Rahm, Hov and maybe Fitz - who on the Euro side is good (Rory has been junk for a year+)?
Yeah, it's a pretty big gap. The entire US team except Scheffer (#25) is in the top 16 of world golfers. The EU has Rahm (#1) and McIlroy (#15), the latter of whom has been very erratic on Tour as well as at Whistling Straits. Arguably, you could field a better President's Cup team than what the EU is fielding.

That said, I think Harrington kneecapped himself by having four guys over 40 as he's likely not going to use any of them twice on a single day. I think Garcia and Westwood can still handle themselves in foursomes,. I probably would've chosen Rose or Noren over Poulter as captain's choice.

I expect a 2-2 split in Saturday's foursomes, then a US bloodbath in afternoon four-ball, leaving the EU needing to win 10 singles matches on Sunday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's a pretty big gap. The entire US team except Scheffer (#25) is in the top 16 of world golfers. The EU has Rahm (#1) and McIlroy (#15), the latter of whom has been very erratic on Tour as well as at Whistling Straits. Arguably, you could field a better President's Cup team than what the EU is fielding.

That said, I think Harrington kneecapped himself by having four guys over 40 as he's likely not going to use any of them twice on a single day. I think Garcia and Westwood can still handle themselves in foursomes,. I probably would've chosen Rose or Noren over Poulter as captain's choice.

I expect a 2-2 split in Saturday's foursomes, then a US bloodbath in afternoon four-ball, leaving the EU needing to win 10 singles matches on Sunday.

US depth on full display yesterday afternoon. Stricker sat Spieth, Koepka, Morikawa and Berger. Three players in their prime with multiple majors sat and US still won the afternoon session.

Reaction Score
Didn't see a thread on it yet, so started this one.

I think the US is better for not having either Tiger or Phil on the team. I think the EU is worse for thinking Poulter can pull off another amazing run. I'm also astounded how bad the bunker play has been for both squads, regardless of "awkward stances", which seems to be the pat excuse.
That bunker on 18 Cantlay was in at the end of the day looked like an animal burrow going underneath the green.

Reaction Score

Actually Weisberger played very well in the afternoon had 6-7 birds but Casey wasn’t all that good. The Euro team is pretty good there’s no way you leave Casey, Westwood, Poulter, Garcia off because they still have plenty of game. Having said that this course may not fit Poulter enough to even think his putting and passion could be enough of an impact because his ball striking has diminished.

There’s some very good players on that team and let’s see if they change it all today before we hammer Harrington. But it’s certainly not looking good for the Draigster.

Reaction Score

Except he didn’t really kneecap himself. Europe is just old and they don’t have many young studs outside of Hovland. You can say he was unlucky that an over the hill Westwood played his way in but what’s the alternative? I suppose he coulda taken Guido Miggliozi the young Italian who has been hot. Other than that there’s no one.

Thomas Pieters, Rafa Cabrera Bello…..these guys were billed as the next big young euros. They’ve flamed out.

I think this is going to be the beginning of a long stretch of Euro ineptitude at the Ryder Cup. They just don’t have the players anymore. American golf is just too strong and too young.

Edit: Rahm is only 26 so he absolutely is still a “young stud”. He’s been around so long i forget how young he is. Point still stands though.

Reaction Score
The world rankings are a bit flawed. Not many euros outside Rahm and Hovland have been on page 1 leaderboards at majors this year.
Harrington should have rolled out Garcia yesterday afternoon. Rather lose with him than Paul Casey who’s washed.
Not many 20-25 yr old top euro golfers to choose from so it was always going to be tough.
And I’m over JTs inauthentic celebrations. Guy hams it up for the camera

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, Euros were pretty competitive for awhile, but it's gonna be 3-1 again thanks to two ridiculously errant tee shots Euros had to keep on fairway/green.

All 12 US guys have at least a half point. Only 5 Euros do, and Rahm/Garcia have almost all of those.

Euros need at least a 3-1 in afternoon.

Reaction Score
Harringtons pairings this afternoon have to be spot on. He should keep Rahm/Garcia together but the rest will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Edit: Rahm is only 26 so he absolutely is still a “young stud”. He’s been around so long i forget how young he is. Point still stands though.

I don't follow golf all that closely and I am STUNNED that Rahm is not American. Every time I saw him I thought "Cool, golf needs a dominant fat American guy." Absolutely rattled when I heard him speak for the first time.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Europe sweeps and makes tomorrow interesting

Reaction Score
Glad they split and didn't lose 3. 3 1/2 points should be doable tomorrow

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The weekend and the future look very bright for the US Ryder Cup Team. Most of the team will be around for a decade or more and they have been pretty dominant this weekend so far. The European team only has Rahm and Hovland as studs going forward.

Reaction Score
That shot by Spieth was incredible.
It was, no thanks to Thomas. He never should have put Spieth there. They (not "he") missed the ensuing put, and lost the match. It is a TEAM competition, and THEY lost. Should we go nuts over UConn losing to Wyoming by two because they scored a "could-have-been-a-tying-touchdown" against Wyoming? They missed the two-point tying conversion. Game over. Produce or perish.

Regarding UConn football.....................how much lower are we willing to set the bar of expectation? Will we accept Hurley losing a two-point game to Providence? Geno losing by two to Seton Hall? Cavanaugh's hockey team losing a one-goal game to Sacred Heart (tune in next Saturday)?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rory hasn’t been elite in years
He has been ranked in the top 10 of the world every year end since 2009 (he turned pro in 2007)
That is ELITE to me

Reaction Score
2014 last major win. When was he in contention last?
More recently, aside from an eagle he hasn’t made a single birdie all Ryder Cup.
No longer elite. Getting passed by, and that’s ok

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom