RV Trip (GA, NC, VA) | The Boneyard

RV Trip (GA, NC, VA)

Reaction Score
Folks

How about a good distraction thread. Previous threads have shown a lot of good travel info here...this one may not be in the BY wheelhouse, but you never know

We are taking an RV from FL to VT this summer. Looking for some recommendations.

Plan to stop in Jekyll Island to start.

Is there anything to see in Augusta? Is visiting Athens worth it?

Need to be in the Asheville area so anything around there recommended?

Will be stopping in Radford/Va Tech area...any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Reaction Score
I'm going to say there is nothing particularly interesting to see in Augusta, GA unless you're going to The Masters.

Lots to do in Asheville. It has one of the highest per-capita of microbreweries in the country. Too many good ones to list but I'll try; some of my faves: Wicked Weed, Burial, Green Man. The Biltmore is probably a must-see as well. A fairly big art scene there as well and some outdoor stuff such as rafting to do also. Good restaurants too. The shrimp and grits at Sunnypointe is the best I've had.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say there is nothing particularly interesting to see in Augusta, GA unless you're going to The Masters.

Lots to do in Asheville. It has one of the highest per-capita of microbreweries in the country. Too many good ones to list but I'll try; some of my faves: Wicked Weed, Burial, Green Man. The Biltmore is probably a must-see as well. A fairly big art scene there as well and some outdoor stuff such as rafting to do also. Good restaurants too. The shrimp and grits at Sunnypointe is the best I've had.
I managed to get Masters tickets once...and a conference I had to attend was the same time. Head bang
Can you see much of the course or is it too far from the road?
Any thoughts on Athens, Ga?

Thx for the info.

Reaction Score
Theres this place called Bennys in Radford and in Blacksburg. They have decent pizza for VA, but theyre massive slices. But if youre up for a challenge, if you can eat a 28” pizza you get $500.

Reaction Score
Theres this place called Bennys in Radford and in Blacksburg. They have decent pizza for VA, but theyre massive slices. But if youre up for a challenge, if you can eat a 28” pizza you get $500.
Other than that there isnt anything in that area but mountains. Just watch out on 81. Cops dont mess around out there.

Reaction Score
I managed to get Masters tickets once...and a conference I had to attend was the same time. Head bang
Can you see much of the course or is it too far from the road?
Any thoughts on Athens, Ga?

Thx for the info.

You really can't see the course from any of the roads around the perimeter. If the gate isn't closed you can see down part of Magnolia Lane from Washington Road. I was fortunate to go to The Masters for work from 2005-2010, 2012 and its such a great event. Definitely worth calling in sick to a conference.;)

Never been to Athens, GA but Tybee island and Savannah are pretty good.

Reaction Score
Other than that there isnt anything in that area but mountains. Just watch out on 81. Cops dont mess around out there.
thx...luckily in an RV it won't be an issue

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
FYI: There's also a Benny's location in the NODA neighborhood of Charlotte which would be an infinitely more enjoyable stop than Radford/Blacksburg

Reaction Score
FYI: There's also a Benny's location in the NODA neighborhood of Charlotte which would be an infinitely more enjoyable stop than Radford/Blacksburg
Thx...I've been to Charlotte for work several time...nice city. Wife went to Radford so since its on the way, she wants to check it out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Biltmore Estate is a must see if heading to Asheville. Check online periodically. Policy might change by your travel date but currently Biltmore House entry is by reservation only.

Reaction Score
Spent quite a bit of time in Asheville and Blacksburg...

Asheville
Biltmore is kinda lame but if old big houses are you're thing it's cool, I guess. We went during Xmas when they had all the lights up so I hated it less. Not sure how much will be open but there's obviously tons of good breweries (wicked weed is a favorite even if they sold out...green man and highlands are good ones too). Go find a good hike if you can, plenty of options just use alltrails app. Tupelo honey cafe prolly gets the most breakfast fanfare but sunny point cafe is where it's at...at least when I was last there like 5 or 6 yrs ago

Blacksburg
Keep driving.

Reaction Score
Relatively easy hike outside Blacksburg with a nice reward at the end.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Thx...I've been to Charlotte for work several time...nice city. Wife went to Radford so since its on the way, she wants to check it out.
Gotcha. Jekyll is awesome but if you’re down there you need to go to St Simons (next island over) for a night for SURE. Cannot suggest it enough- my favorite beach town of all that I’ve been to. And the deep sea fishing is incredible.

Radford/Blacksburg from there is an 8 hour drive- you’ll take 95 to 77 and go through Columbia then Charlotte. Depending how you break it up the other option is though Florence on 95 and Greensboro/Winston Salem on 74. As someone that grew up in Charlotte and has a MBA from Wake Forest- you have zero reason to stop in either Winston or Greensboro. Depending what you’re looking for- I’d suggest Jekyll/SSI-CLT-Blacksburg as the perfect breakup. Makes the trip become nice 4-4.5 hour increments and the drive on 77/81 from Lake Norman into VA through the mountains is really beautiful (used to take this route driving to Storrs for school- connect in 84 in PA).

Seems like you’re going to hit Asheville which I definitely suggest- in that case you’ll be on 95 and take 26 all the way. Asheville is one of the coolest most underrated places to spend a few days in my opinion. In that case check out Greenville, SC on the way. Sneaky cool town. Also cannot day enough cool things about the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Sliding Rock.

TL;DR- definitely go to Saint Simons Island in Georgia while you’re in Jekyll. It’s incredibly beautiful and the food is spectacular. Taking 95 to 77 through CLT is the fastest route to Radford/Blacksburg but if you’re going to go to Asheville it’s well worth taking the detour route. Greenville SC is on the way to Asheville too and is an underrated gem on the Reedy River. And Sliding Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway rock.

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Jekyll is awesome but if you’re down there you need to go to St Simons (next island over) for a night for SURE. Cannot suggest it enough- my favorite beach town of all that I’ve been to. And the deep sea fishing is incredible.

Radford/Blacksburg from there is an 8 hour drive- you’ll take 95 to 77 and go through Columbia then Charlotte. Depending how you break it up the other option is though Florence on 95 and Greensboro/Winston Salem on 74. As someone that grew up in Charlotte and has a MBA from Wake Forest- you have zero reason to stop in either Winston or Greensboro. Depending what you’re looking for- I’d suggest Jekyll/SSI-CLT-Blacksburg as the perfect breakup. Makes the trip become nice 4-4.5 hour increments and the drive on 77/81 from Lake Norman into VA through the mountains is really beautiful (used to take this route driving to Storrs for school- connect in 84 in PA).

Seems like you’re going to hit Asheville which I definitely suggest- in that case you’ll be on 95 and take 26 all the way. Asheville is one of the coolest most underrated places to spend a few days in my opinion. In that case check out Greenville, SC on the way. Sneaky cool town. Also cannot day enough cool things about the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Sliding Rock.

TL;DR- definitely go to Saint Simons Island in Georgia while you’re in Jekyll. It’s incredibly beautiful and the food is spectacular. Taking 95 to 77 through CLT is the fastest route to Radford/Blacksburg but if you’re going to go to Asheville it’s well worth taking the detour route. Greenville SC is on the way to Asheville too and is an underrated gem on the Reedy River. And Sliding Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway rock.
Thx so much. Appreciate it

Reaction Score
If you care to see some military sites, the Mighty 8th Museum is on 95, just north of Savannah. It's a nice museum that honors the 8th Air Force and is easy on and easy off 95.

After that you can detour to Beaufort, SC, to visit Parris Island, the Marine Corps Training Facility, which also has a small, but interesting, museum and if you're there on a Friday you can see the latest class of recruits graduate. Beaufort is a pretty town, with a number of nice restaurants in the downtown area and Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort is the sole training facility for the F35's. They also have F-18's there and we locals hear "the sound of freedom" pretty much daily as both planes regularly fly all over the surrounding areas.

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Jekyll is awesome but if you’re down there you need to go to St Simons (next island over) for a night for SURE. Cannot suggest it enough
Ditto. I love Jekyll. You have to check out Driftwood Beach there. It was rated a top 10 neach in America. It is really cool there. The golf course on Jekyll is great too. GPS golf carts there and a well manicured course (with alligators too).

Yes, you have to do St. Simon's. That place is great. There was a really cool oysyer bar, The Half Shell, there and a really nice bar/restaurant that had a southern feel to it which had a large outdoor porch and a band playing. I forget the name of that place though. I wish we found that place sooner. Ubers do seem to be a premium in the area there, fyi, in case you use thst service. Have fun!!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Folks

How about a good distraction thread. Previous threads have shown a lot of good travel info here...this one may not be in the BY wheelhouse, but you never know

We are taking an RV from FL to VT this summer. Looking for some recommendations.

Plan to stop in Jekyll Island to start.

Is there anything to see in Augusta? Is visiting Athens worth it?

Need to be in the Asheville area so anything around there recommended?

Will be stopping in Radford/Va Tech area...any suggestions?

Thx in advance

This is where I stay when taking RV. Golf? No problem. Along main drag on Hilton Head Island. While there try The Hudson seafood down the road 20 minutes. You won't regret it.
P.S-Theree is another RV Resort farther down. Not impressed.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Downtown Greenville SC. 40 miles from Ashville. One of the top downtowns in the USA. Sidewalk dining, Some of the best restaurants and micro's in the South. Mast General The best cheeseburger in the south at Smoke on the water. Falls River Park, waterfalls and a Replica of Fenway Park. all downtown #yeahthatgreenville

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom