OT: - Rutgers will require vaccinations for students fall '21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Rutgers will require vaccinations for students fall '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was a little worried about getting the vaccine at first because of how rushed it was. I eventually decided to get it because I think it’s pretty obvious where things are headed for the near future. You will need proof of this vaccine to travel...plane, cruise, etc. You may need this vaccine to attend sporting events. MSG was only letting full vaccinated fans into the Big East Tourament, and I think its the same for Knicks games. Im no expert, but the fact they give you a card showing proof may be an indicator you will need that.

Reaction Score
I wonder if other schools in the northeast will follow with a similar requirement. Interesting.

I'm curious what other organizations start requiring vaccination. Beyond the universities

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Until full authorization it can't be required. That is the argument many military personnel are using when they refuse.

Partially true with the military. Some who are designated as critical personnel are required and some who are deploying are required. Amongst the ham and egger regular joe's in the states, it's still optional.

Reaction Score
I was a little worried about getting the vaccine at first because of how rushed it was. I eventually decided to get it because I think it’s pretty obvious where things are headed for the near future. You will need proof of this vaccine to travel...plane, cruise, etc. You may need this vaccine to attend sporting events. MSG was only letting full vaccinated fans into the Big East Tourament, and I think its the same for Knicks games. Im no expert, but the fact they give you a card showing proof may be an indicator you will need that.

Reaction Score
And yet, there still may not be enough for people that age to even GET one. That age demographic will literally be THE LAST to get access to the vaccine
States have already opened up the queue for 16 and up. It's already happening.

Reaction Score
Partially true with the military. Some who are designated as critical personnel are required and some who are deploying are required. Amongst the ham and egger regular joe's in the states, it's still optional.
30% of them are refusing

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And yet, there still may not be enough for people that age to even GET one. That age demographic will literally be THE LAST to get access to the vaccine

I don’t think that will be an issue in the United States, but there may be some who cannot get it, especially foreign students. (Look how badly the EU is handing their vaccination rollout.)

They will have to carve out exemptions for people who will not get the vaccine for religious or health reasons.

But overall, I think maximizing the number of people vaccinated on a college campus is obviously a sound idea.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anybody bothered to read the article I linked. It isn't like all the other fully approved vaccines.
Of course not. Most of us barely read a post before responding. ?

Just read it.

Even though the FDA granted emergency use authorizations for the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines in December 2020, the clinical trials the FDA will rely upon to ultimately decide whether to license these vaccines are still underway and are designed to last for approximately two years to collect adequate data to establish if these vaccines are safe and effective enough for the FDA to license.

This means that an organization will likely be at odds with federal law if it requires its employees, students or other members to get a Covid-19 vaccine that is being distributed under emergency use authorization.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that will be an issue in the United States, but there may be some who cannot get it, especially foreign students. (Look how badly the EU is handing their vaccination rollout.)

They will have to carve out exemptions for people who will not get the vaccine for religious or health reasons.

But overall, I think maximizing the number of people vaccinated on a college campus is obviously a sound idea.
Religious reasons not getting a vaccine are not allowed in 5 states and in some the form needs to be notarized

This despite the fact that there's really really only 2 religions in the US that prohibit vaccinations
It has become the anti-vaxxers way of refusing. IMO more states should do away with it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
30% of them are refusing

Is that 30% of those who have the option to refuse or 30% overall?

Because if it's 30% overall that means for those who can refuse it, are refusing at a much higher rate than 30%.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hehe 'red state college full enrollment' act. and oh, deep, deep, superdeep analysis of selective vaccine deployment shows, time and time again, a roughly 2 to 1 ratio, which coincidently is where we are, and expected to stay, plus or minus.
now, aboot this Supreme Court thing....

Reaction Score
Not true for MSG. It’s now vaccine or PCR test or rapid test.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Religious reasons not getting a vaccine are not allowed in 5 states and in some the form needs to be notarized

This despite the fact that there's really really only 2 religions in the US that prohibit vaccinations
It has become the anti-vaxxers way of refusing. IMO more states should do away with it.

If there’s even one person in the country who has a religious objection to it, it should be accommodated.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If there’s even one person in the country who has a religious objection to it, it should be accommodated.
The Supreme Court, so, no mandate. of course, in those states well on the way to causing their own economic downfall... mask up!

Reaction Score
A true religious objection yes but in my experience with exemptions those are far and few between. Most parents over the years have used it for their personal preference because no proof of beliefs are needed.

Reaction Score
A true religious objection yes but in my experience with exemptions those are far and few between. Most parents over the years have used it for their personal preference because no proof of beliefs are needed.
I mean, religion and shots aside, how do you prove what YOU believe? It is not like someone else can dispute what you believe in your head.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
good. make it required for everything. if you don't want to get it you can be banished to a lifetime of sitting in your house and thinking about how selfish and stupid you are.
Yes. This. If you don’t want to be a part of society, then move into the woods and live off the land where you don’t have to worry about these things.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It’s odd that society is moving away from organized religion yet there are more and more looking to claim the religious exemption. It’s as if those that adhere to religion are becoming more zealous, or they are simply lying.

Reaction Score
This is an absurd and unworkable standard. Even Scalia thought so. From the National Law Review, with added bolding from me:

"In an opinion written by Justice Scalia, the Supreme Court held that the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment prohibited governments from singling out religious conduct for regulation, but did not require governments to create religious exemptions from all of its laws. As long as the law was generally applicable to all religious and non-religious individuals alike, and neutral toward religion, meaning not intended to interfere with religious practice, the law met the requirements of the Free Exercise Clause."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was as of 2/21

Some young, fit, healthy people not really at any risk from the disease don't want to take an experimental vaccine using a novel delivery mechanism never before used on people. Not surprising. Many college students are in the same situation. They are probably fine, but I think people need to make that risk trade-off themselves.

I expect the widespread availability of the J&J vaccine to increase the numbers of younger people vaccinated. Military, healthcare, those who refused may be more open to that one.

Reaction Score
I mean, religion and shots aside, how do you prove what YOU believe? It is not like someone else can dispute what you believe in your head.
Prove you are a member of the only 2 religions that ban vaccines, other than that you don't have a leg to stand on. I know for a fact there are many anti-vaxxers without a strong religious belief for their stand who 'use' the religious exemption. There are kids in schools with valid medical reasons for not being vaccinated which is as it should be. But those that abuse the religious exemption put other children at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom