Rugby, err, 2 physical games on tap today | The Boneyard

Rugby, err, 2 physical games on tap today

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Going on right now is Arizona vs. Stanford at Maples which should be an interesting game as Adia loves to tire the referees out on blowing their whistles but will the Cardinal depth at front court prevail. Jones with 2 early foul calls at 1:25 gone in the 1st quarter.
The second game tonight has the Gamecocks getting their first look at a Coach Abe team in conference. My guess is 30+ fouls committed but only 18 called....just sayin'-can't wait to see what the Gamecock crowd has to say after seeing this "style" being exacted upon them.

I will be rooting for both the Cardinal and Gamecocks today, which is saying a lot....

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that South Carolina/Georgia game is going to be pretty intense, but that Arizona/Stanford game was nowhere near physical. I was disappointed in the three-point shooting by both teams. Holy smokes! Arizona was 2/13 (15%) and Stanford 5/25 (20%) Yikes!

Reaction Score
Going on right now is Arizona vs. Stanford at Maples which should be an interesting game as Adia loves to tire the referees out on blowing their whistles but will the Cardinal depth at front court prevail. Jones with 2 early foul calls at 1:25 gone in the 1st quarter.
The second game tonight has the Gamecocks getting their first look at a Coach Abe team in conference. My guess is 30+ fouls committed but only 18 called....just sayin'-can't wait to see what the Gamecock crowd has to say after seeing this "style" being exacted upon them.

I will be rooting for both the Cardinal and Gamecocks today, which is saying a lot....
Agreed but Gamecocks will also commit 30 but only 10 will be called.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that South Carolina/Georgia game is going to be pretty intense, but that Arizona/Stanford game was nowhere near physical. I was disappointed in the three-point shooting by both teams. Holy smokes! Arizona was 2/13 (15%) and Stanford 5/25 (20%) Yikes!
Some fouls against Arizona looked ticky-tacky from my seat in Maples. Watching game on TV now and there was contact on most of them. If those two early calls on Jones were fouls, it’s going to be a closely called game. 15 called on Stanford, 26 on Arizona. Jones and Belibi was called for 4 fouls each.

Belibi would disagree it wasn’t physical.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I will say this game is not disappointing my own rather harsh prediction as the is a lot of "bodying up" by Georgia and nothing is really being called. Georgia up 29-26 at the halftime intermission.

Reaction Score
Meh......it's the SEC. We're used to games like this. Steel sharpens steel. In the end, it was the Bulldogs who were worn down, and saddled in foul trouble. South Carolina pulled away for the win......

The Gamecocks were called for 16 fouls. They average 15.4 fouls per game thus far, good for 75th in the nation. Not too shabby. And not too far behind Connecticut, who is 67th nationally in fouls per game, at 15.2/gm.

I guess we rugby teams have to stick together, huh?? ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Meh......it's the SEC. We're used to games like this. Steel sharpens steel. In the end, it was the Bulldogs who were worn down, and saddled in foul trouble. South Carolina pulled away for the win......

The Gamecocks were called for 16 fouls. They average 15.4 fouls per game thus far, good for 75th in the nation. Not too shabby. And not too far behind Connecticut, who is 67th nationally in fouls per game, at 15.2/gm.

I guess we rugby teams have to stick together, huh?? ;)
Interesting stuff. Inspired me to look.

So the fewest fouls per game is 12.1, it happens to be Providence.

As noted - UConn, South Carolina AND Georgia are all averaging just over 15 fouls per game.

Rutgers is at 16.5 while Arizona is at 18.9.

Houston, at almost 24 fouls per game, is the most "foul-happy".

I am very disappointed in the Arizona number, although most were with PAC12 referees, so most were not particularly physical - the PAC is notorious for calling touch fouls and "impeding" progress which corresponds with what I observed. My wife was watching a game on TV where the announcers were actually ripping the refs (in general, as well as the specific Arizona game) for their conference wide allowing of assault in the lane. I have posted this in the past.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The official NCAA stats have UConn at 15.2, Rutgers 16.5, Georgia 15.4 and Arizona at 18.9 and ranked 280th out of 361 teams.

I watch a lot of PAC12 games and I have to disagree with @KnightBridgeAZ about the refs. OSU plays aggressive defense without fouling but what I do find offensive is the announcing of the PAC12 games as most of those former coaches are atrocious. Joan and Murphy are two of the worst.

I appreciate that Adia has drastically improved Arizona but they are a very physical team that when non-conference opponents and refs have them, they aren't sure what to do. Watching the game yesterday allowed for the better ball shooting and passing team to operate without being mauled. Good for the refs. 19 fouls per game is very high and not due to "touch fouls". Just own that Arizona plays aggressive and has to as their shooting is suspect.
Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Reaction Score
I understand that the free throw shooting was 27-1 in favor of the home team late in the 3rd quarter - a remarkable stat.
Regarding shooting, Arizona ranks 3rd in the conference in 3PT%.

Reaction Score
Arizona was 2 for 13 from 3 points. Hannah Jump alone was 4 for 13. Stanford was 5 for 25 overall. I was surprised Reese only scored 4 points for Arizona.

Reaction Score
With 49 sec. remaining in the 3rd quarter, Stanford had already attempted 27 FTs, while Arizona had attempted one. That calculates to 96.4% of attempted FTs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The official NCAA stats have UConn at 15.2, Rutgers 16.5, Georgia 15.4 and Arizona at 18.9 and ranked 280th out of 361 teams.

I watch a lot of PAC12 games and I have to disagree with @KnightBridgeAZ about the refs. OSU plays aggressive defense without fouling but what I do find offensive is the announcing of the PAC12 games as most of those former coaches are atrocious. Joan and Murphy are two of the worst.

I appreciate that Adia has drastically improved Arizona but they are a very physical team that when non-conference opponents and refs have them, they aren't sure what to do. Watching the game yesterday allowed for the better ball shooting and passing team to operate without being mauled. Good for the refs. 19 fouls per game is very high and not due to "touch fouls". Just own that Arizona plays aggressive and has to as their shooting is suspect.
Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
I have floor seats. Arizona plays extremely aggressively, largely on defense, as shown by their fouls and lack of foul shots.

I have posted for years my take that PAC refs allow way too much contact in the paint, way too aggressive physicality going after loose balls (yes, I know that's not a foul, but there should be a line) and tend to call a lot of touch fouls that impede progress but lack any physicality. I'm not changing my opinion. It doesn't mean that any fouls that are called aren't fouls, or that fouls called are never physical. But I came from the east, where (largely) a high percentage of fouls were called in the paint and on screens, and less on just random contact.

In todays paper, Adia said this week will be spent on trying to help the players understand who to play defense without fouling, as that was one of the reasons we played so poorly against Stanford. Also on boxing out, which was something else that was poorly executed. Of course playing Stanford as the 3rd game in 5 days made the outcome even more certain than it already was.

Reaction Score
My calcs indicates that Arizona averaged 5.08 more free-throw attempts (FTs) than their opponent in their first 13 games (in other words, Arizona tends to get fouled, especially when shooting). This stat makes the 27:1 ratio of FTs in the Stanford game (see above) more difficult to understand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom