Rothstein on Sanogo | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Rothstein on Sanogo

Reaction Score
All this talk about minutes made me rename all the players on my College Hoops 2K8 team to match the UConn players so I could actually do it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't say for sure, it certainly seems like it would be tough to spread the floor with the roster we have. But then Hurley makes comments about Polley being the perfect stretch 4 and Whaley at the 5 and it seems like that's his thinking. Phasing Carlton out seems harsh, but I just don't see where the minutes are coming from this year. Even if I we play big I have a tough time fitting Carlton in for anything more than spot minutes.

The below isn't awful if you split the minutes right, even if it limits our 2 best players by clogging the lane

PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouknight (25), Adams (10), Jackson (5)
SF: Jackson (15), Martin (15), Polley (10)
PF: Akok (15), Whaley (15), Polley (5), Martin (5)
C: Sanogo (20), Whaley (10), Carlton (10)

You can book Bouk playing more than 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
You can book Bouk playing more than 25 minutes.
I think he will most games, it's very tough to come up with a lineup for this team. I think spots 8-11 are gonna have a pretty big variance in minutes game to game. Some games will skew to Carlton/Sanogo and some games to Adams/Polley (or Jackson/Martin, whichever 3/4 you want to put in the hypothetical)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he will most games, it's very tough to come up with a lineup for this team. I think spots 8-11 are gonna have a pretty big variance in minutes game to game. Some games will skew to Carlton/Sanogo and some games to Adams/Polley (or Jackson/Martin, whichever 3/4 you want to put in the hypothetical)

I think the playing time mixtures and variances will really start around player #4 vice player #8. I can guarantee if Polley starts banging down 3's Hurley is keeping him in. Same thing with either Cole or Gaffney. If one of them gets hot, or conversely, if one of them gets lit up defensively, pine time it is.

Certain players, are going to have to adjust to the speed and physicality of the BE. I certainly envision games where Cole and Sanogo have a 11 minute, 4 foul game.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is playing at least 30 every game unless he's in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
I think the playing time mixtures and variances will really start around player #4 vice player #8. I can guarantee if Polley starts banging down 3's Hurley is keeping him in. Same thing with either Cole or Gaffney. If one of them gets hot, or conversely, if one of them gets lit up defensively, pine time it is.

Certain players, are going to have to adjust to the speed and physicality of the BE. I certainly envision games where Cole and Sanogo have a 11 minute, 4 foul game.
You're probably right, I excluded Cole/Gaffney because PG depth is thin so I think they both will play big minutes regardless

Reaction Score
Big games and by the time we get to Big East/tournament play I agree. For the first few weeks (which is all I can even try and predict right now) I expect a lot more rotating of guys to try and figure out roles/what works

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If we have 5 games prior to conference play it will become apparent who should be getting minutes when the big east starts. A lot of this is just going to play out like it did last year, but sooner.

Reaction Score
Pg Cole 25 gaff 15
Sg bouk 30 adams 5 gaff 5
Sf Jackson 15 polley 10 Martin 10 adams 5
Pf Whaley 15 polley 10 Martin 10 springs 5
C sanogo 20 Whaley 10 Carlton 10
Akok comes back and takes 20 minutes away from the 4s and 5s

C

Chief00

Bouknight, Cole and Polley are our only proven outside shooters. The minutes for everyone will depend on who else can knock down shots. You can’t spread the court, if you can’t knock down shots. My hope is that guy becomes Jackson. If no one really emerges early Martin will get more time than some think.
I do agree that a team needs a backstop to be able to play aggressive defense. Akok and Brown (due to length) are our shot blockers. Sanogo can be a backstop from a physical horizontal perspective.

pj

Reaction Score
I like @Jbirdp5 and @Chief00 views on minutes. My thoughts:
  • I think two of Bouk/Cole/Gaff are on the court at all times, so you have to go to SF to find minutes for anyone else.
  • Polley and Martin are about equivalently good, Polley's strength of offense/spread the floor and Martin's strength of defense will find minutes against different opponents based on matchups, and whether those minutes are at the 3 or 4 will depend on matchups and on what other players step up to seize minutes.
  • Andre Jackson and Brendan Adams have to try to step up and seize SF minutes away from Polley and Martin. I would expect AJ to achieve that later in the season.
  • Akok likewise has to step up and seize PF minutes, which he should do later in the season.
  • Early in the season, Whaley will start at PF and Sanogo at C. The main alternative, if Sanogo isn't ready, is a Martin/Polley/Whaley frontcourt. But I think Sanogo will be ready.
  • Hard for me to find minutes for Carlton, but he's very valuable depth at C. I'd just rather have Sanogo at C in big lineups and Whaley at C in small lineups, a Sanogo/Whaley rotation at C seems to make sense. If any of Akok/Polley/Martin/Springs step up to seize minutes at PF, the loser is Carlton, as that shifts Whaley to C not off the court.
  • Springs and Brown are developing wild cards who make the frontcourt really deep, but may have trouble breaking through. Minutes crunch especially after Akok returns. Look for them to get minutes early in the season because Hurley knows there won't be much late. Springs might = Whaley but the basketball equivalent of one year behind, and there's just no way for him to gain the experience he needs to overtake Whaley on the depth chart. These are the guys who really get hurt by a shortened season with the cupcakes gone from the schedule.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouknight (25), Adams (10), Jackson (5)
SF: Jackson (15), Martin (15), Polley (10)
PF: Akok (15), Whaley (15), Polley (5), Martin (5)
C: Sanogo (20), Whaley (10), Carlton (10)

Polley is getting more than 15min/gm. Perimeter scoring is at a premium on this roster, and he provides it.

Reaction Score
Polley is getting more than 15min/gm. Perimeter scoring is at a premium on this roster, and he provides it.
No question Tyler Phommachanh can fill it up.. He needs to show decent effort on defense to stay on the floor.. Too much talent on the bench willing to play two-way BB

C

Chief00

Rebounds are great, but with the way they want to run out their guards defensively, players are going to get by them sometimes. Having a guy who can block and significantly alter shots at the basket is key. They’re not going to rush Akok, because they’re smart, but I anxiously await his healthy return. Watching a Hurley coached defense that has all the right parts is one of my favorite things to watch in basketball, and the last two years haven’t come anywhere close.
During the last 2-3 KO years, our defense wasn’t horrible, but we gave up second and third shots. Those become long and demoralizing back breaking possessions. A roadmap to losing. But, I agree for rebounding to be important, the defense has to happen first.

Reaction Score
Polley shoots best when he gets the ball in the flow of the game and not high/low/left/right and too late as a bailout pass (AG).
His production would go up exponentially if he learned to move without the ball(ala Rip H).. Our ball handlers will find him ..

Reaction Score
During the last 2-3 KO years, our defense wasn’t horrible, but we gave up second and third shots. Those become long and demoralizing back breaking possessions. A roadmap to losing. But, I agree for rebounding to be important, the defense has to happen first.
Sometimes shot blockers need to bypass blocking the shot...Keep their feet on the floor..And just play solid D and get the rebound so that the second and third shot possessions don't happen..It takes self-discipline..Hard to do..If you have good secondary defenders who can also get RBs.. Different story..Having KFree "school" our guys will be of tremendous value in this area..

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Plenty of precedent for that kind of usage among our superstar guards over the years.

Kemba averaged 33 for his 3 years, including 37+ his Junior year.
Bazz averaged 32+ for 4 years, including only 25 as a freshman, due to Kemba-nomics affecting minute distribution, but buoyed by 37.3 as a Junior, which season we played an unusual # of OT games (9 OT periods in 7 OT games), and and played short-handed much of the season.
Boat played 30+ every year with a max of 36.3 as a Sophomore and a career average of 33.8. Amazing that both Boat & Bazz averaged career high minutes in the same season.
Ben averaged 31 with a max of 34.5 in his junior season.
Rip played over 30 per game every year, and averaged just under 32.
Chris Smith played over 33 every year, except his freshman year ( including two years at 36+ ) for an average of 33.6
Jalen Adams averaged 31.5, with a max usage of 38.1 as a junior.
In contrast, Ray only averaged 28, and his max usage was as a Sophomore at <33 min/gm.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Polley shoots best when he gets the ball in the flow of the game and not high/low/left/right and too late as a bailout pass (AG).
I think everyone’s offensive game is going to benefit by better movement and more offensive options.

Reaction Score
Any of the minutes projections seem possible to me. I just think the particular game defensive matchups, the 'hot hand' of the night, and the refs calls, will make every prediction correct at times. In certain games Sanogo will have foul trouble and Carlton will play more. In certain games small ball will keep Whaley playing more center with more minutes for Martin. 2 fouls on Bouknight and he won't be on the court for 30 minutes. Playing to keep a lead might mean a certain lineup. Playing to catch up, another lineup. Stopping a team with 2 productive bigs, etc

In my guesses, I want Jackson on the court more than 15 minutes and a lot of those minutes paired with Bouknight on the court. I believe Jackson is everything Bouknight was last year and that he will be an impact highlight player from the get go, that also creates good team chemistry. In my view, that means I have a few minutes less for Martin, (3-5 less), despite his capabilities, and, less (2-3 less), for Polley despite his shooting. That gets me to 20ish for Jackson.

Reaction Score
Sometimes shot blockers need to bypass blocking the shot...Keep their feet on the floor..And just play solid D and get the rebound so that the second and third shot possessions don't happen..It takes self-discipline..Hard to do..If you have good secondary defenders who can also get RBs.. Different story..Having KFree "school" our guys will be of tremendous value in this area..

That's one of the reasons IW was so important last year. Just based on the eye test, he wasn't over committing to block shots yet when the opportunity presented itself, he was a very effective rim protector whether holding his ground or blocking shots.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well one thing I can certainly say is for the first time in a long time there will be some serious battles in practice, and pressure to perform in games, to get playing time. Which is a very good thing.

And for that I am eternally grateful. One reason Calhoun's quick hook method worked was he knew the guy he was bringing off the bench was going to do exactly what JC wanted him to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom