Roster - what does this mean for current seniors | The Boneyard

Roster - what does this mean for current seniors

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So what does suspending the fall season mean for current seniors and grad students in their final year of eligibility? It seems UConn believes they will be granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA, although I don't think that has been publicly discussed yet by the NCAA itself (let me know if I am wrong).

Seniors for the fall 2020 season:
1) Kevin Mensah
2) Jay Rose
3) Ryan Van Demark
4) Dillon Harris
5) DJ Morgan (Grad School - second year / final year of eligibility under ordinary circumstances)
6) Omar Fortt
7) Kyle Williams (Grad School - first year / final year of eligibility under ordinary circumstances)
8) Diamond Harrell
9) Brian Keating

So who on this list is going to stick around for 2021, that's the big question. And by sticking around, that means gaining entrance to a UConn grad program which has not been an assured thing in the past as the grad program seems less willing to bend on entrance requirements. At the moment I really have no idea who will stay and who will move on.

And then we have red shirt juniors to consider as well. RS Juniors have the same issue: need to secure entrance to a grad program to stick around.
1) Micah Leon
2) Cameron Hairston
3) Andrew Torres Silva
4) Caleb Thomas
5) TJ Gardner
6) Ian Swenson
7) Robert King
8) Abiola Olaniyan
9) Luke Magliozzi

We have 6 unused scholarships. We have accepted 14 verbal commitments thus far for 2021. To make that work, least 8 kids from the above list of 18 would have to move on.

My original expectation was for a class of 22 leaving a little room for transfers in the summer of 2021. Now we'll have to see how the fall plays out. Some of these graduating seniors are very likely to stick around for 2021 reducing our slots for new kids.

Reaction Score
Go pro? Hope the NCAA grants them another yesr . Play some football and work on some courses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So what does suspending the fall season mean for current seniors and grad students in their final year of eligibility? It seems UConn believes they will be granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA, although I don't think that has been publicly discussed yet by the NCAA itself (let me know if I am wrong).

1) Kevin Mensah
2) Jay Rose
3) Ryan Van Demark
4) Dillon Harris
5) DJ Morgan (Grad School - second year / final year of eligibility under ordinary circumstances)
6) Omar Fortt
7) Kyle Williams (Grad School - first year / final year of eligibility under ordinary circumstances)
8) Diamond Harrell
9) Brian Keating

So who on this list is going to stick around for 2021, that's the big question. And by sticking around, that means gaining entrance to a UConn grad program which has not been an assured thing in the past as the grad program seems less willing to bend on entrance requirements. At the moment I really have no idea who will stay and who will move on.

And then we have red shirt juniors to consider as well. RS Juniors have the same issue: need to secure entrance to a grad program to stick around.
1) Micah Leon
2) Cameron Hairston
3) Andrew Torres Silva
4) Caleb Thomas
5) TJ Gardner
6) Ian Swenson
7) Robert King
8) Abiola Olaniyan
9) Luke Magliozzi

We have 6 unused scholarships. We have accepted 14 verbal commitments thus far for 2021. To make that work, least 8 kids from the above list of 18 would have to move on.

My original expectation was for a class of 22 leaving a little room for transfers in the summer of 2021. Now we'll have to see how the fall plays out. Some of these graduating seniors are very likely to stick around for 2021 reducing our slots for new kids.

I wonder if the NCAA might raise the scholarship limit for a year or two to manage the glut many will face with players staying on and high school kids wanting to join the teams.

If they don't, and a good number of seniors and redshirt juniors want to stay on someone will be denied a scholarship and the opportunity to play.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder if the NCAA might raise the scholarship limit for a year or two to manage the glut many will face with players staying on and high school kids wanting to join the teams.

If they don't, and a good number of seniors and redshirt juniors want to stay on someone will be denied a scholarship and the opportunity to play.

Somewhere yesterday @huskymedic posted some quotes from AD David Benedict where he confirmed the school has an expectation that the NCAA will be granting temporary relief on scholarship limits for the 2021 season. The sooner that is known, the sooner we can get back to recruiting. Maybe 2021 it will be simply 85 + unlimited for any final year kids that were at a school that did not play in the fall of 2020.

Reaction Score
Has this been discussed... if seniors are given another year, doesn’t that cause a scholarship limit issue for incoming freshman for some programs?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The number of scholarships is one issue, paying for them and Title IX match will be expensive.

The issue of playing time will be more of an issue (finally) with quality SR and hopefully stronger recruiting classes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe not a slam dunk just yet....

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn baseball had this problem and lost a few guys they would have liked to keep.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball had this problem and lost a few guys they would have liked to keep.

There was some roster compression but I think the problem moreso w/ baseball is the partial scholarship as opposed to full scholarship (more $$ out of pocket).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

1) Kevin Mensah
2) Jay Rose
3) Ryan Van Demark
4) Dillon Harris
6) Omar Fortt
8) Diamond Harrell
9) Brian Keating

1) Micah Leon
2) Cameron Hairston
3) Andrew Torres Silva
4) Caleb Thomas
5) TJ Gardner
6) Ian Swenson
7) Robert King
8) Abiola Olaniyan
9) Luke Magliozzi

Out of the seniors, I could see Mensah, Rose, Van Demark, Harris and Forte return.

RS Juniors look so weak as a group. Leon? Swenson? Honestly I think they can all go. Get your diploma and get on living. Football isn't any of their futures.

Reaction Score
Experts have said at most 50% of kids would use an extra year of eligibility if granted. If the season is pushed to the Spring, most top NFL prospects would sit out to avoid injuries before the draft. There's no perfect answer in the Covid-19 world, but pushing the season to the Spring is better than cramming a watered-down Fall season down people's throats.

Reaction Score
Experts have said at most 50% of kids would use an extra year of eligibility if granted. If the season is pushed to the Spring, most top NFL prospects would sit out to avoid injuries before the draft. There's no perfect answer in the Covid-19 world, but pushing the season to the Spring is better than cramming a watered-down Fall season down people's throats.

I love the idea that anyone is pretending to be an expert in... whatever the hell is happening in the world today. They are lying. who knows what will happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is important - need guidance

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Easier to read:
1597271998382.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Easy for me to write since I don't have to figure out the financial logistics but here's an easy solution.

And player entering their third year or later can have the option of remaining on football team and counting against the cap of 85 schollies. Players who don't want to continue playing can keep their scholarship to complete their degree but won't count against 85 count cap.

Reaction Score
The number of scholarships is one issue, paying for them and Title IX match will be expensive.

The issue of playing time will be more of an issue (finally) with quality SR and hopefully stronger recruiting classes.
agree this could be a silver lining to this crap storm... a program that has literally torn down the program to its foundation and started to rebuild would benefit from nothing more than getting an extra year to bulk up the reserves.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Final approval expected Friday

Reaction Score
Second tweet is important (but also carries AD financial consequences for football as it is a headcount sport as opposed to an equivalency sport like baseball/soccer/cross country)...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom