Rodney Purvis on campus | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis on campus

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels doesn’t get the respect he deserves.

Sure he does. We rewrite history with this stuff. He was a good, albeit inconsistent player. You don't remember Calhoun telling everyone that he pumped him up before the tournament by telling him he was an afterthought? He was great against Iowa State, very good against Florida, and kind of meh against Kentucky in the national championship game.

Ben Gordon was my favorite UConn player to watch but in '04 people were legitimately concerned going into the Big East tournament that he was too passive and wouldn't be able to carry UConn if Emeka's back acted up. History is written by the winners, as they say.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who proceeded to choose one bad coal mine after another when he left.

Look, not a single person saying Ollie had a big part in the NC is defending Ollie for what came afterward.

If someone wants to step up here and tell me Glen Miller developed Giffey, Napier, Boatright and Daniels, that's perfectly fine. All we're saying is that the coaches of that '14 team did a helluva job, especially since those players became the greats they became post-Calhoun.

I accept what Purvis is saying at face value. That's a very different thing than Vance Jackson who hasn't managed to improve under several other coaches elsewhere. It's night and day.

Are we acting like Vance is the first disgruntled player to leave and fizzle out?

I mean, we've even had disgruntled people like Oriakhi leave here, or one of the best examples is Gavin Edwards. A guy who was disgruntled and yet developed into a solid player here, after not having ANYONE else knock on his door coming out of high school.

I just think you take it with a grain of salt from some kids, while other kids--like Purvis--have more credibility.
I was going tl:dr this because I just knew it was going to be nonsense. But I gave it a shot and was instantly reminded of the old adage about trusting your first instinct. Nothing you say refutes the assertion that Vance Jackson's dad was right about Ollie all along. I swear, if all of my college instructors were of your caliber I would have never made it through.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sure he does. We rewrite history with this stuff. He was a good, albeit inconsistent player. You don't remember Calhoun telling everyone that he pumped him up before the tournament by telling him he was an afterthought? He was great against Iowa State, very good against Florida, and kind of meh against Kentucky in the national championship game.

Ben Gordon was my favorite UConn player to watch but in '04 people were legitimately concerned going into the Big East tournament that he was too passive and wouldn't be able to carry UConn if Emeka's back acted up. History is written by the winners, as they say.
That Big East Tournament cemented his legacy. It was awesome.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hey Einstein, that was per Purvis. Wow. The man lived through it, not you, nor anyone on the Yard. Purvis deserves his time to speak. He worked his butt off. S t fork up.
I agree that he is free to speak and that he worked his butt off playing basketball here, and I didn’t. But it also bears noting that he wasn’t on the active roster that season either.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Eventually, a pair of stories will come out and the veneer will be stripped entirely.'
ooh, salicious inna-u-end-o. can't wait. hopefully, it will have hookers, and blow. or not dropping a fiver in the salvation army bucket at holiday time.
shore do like me a story aboot one of my fellow monkeys replete with hookers and blow. mebbe meth? that's good also. does he wear a dress in this tale, too? what's wrong with that? i mean, somebody has to keep this economy moving, and those folks partial to the chiffon do a right fine job.
i hear this all the time from mg, 'what are u mad aboot, im just doing my job to keep things moving. if we had to depend on you, we'd all starve.'
yep, gonna try to get me a new crack pipe on my way down to the docks. is the crack pipe store open on sundays? helping the economy, an all that.
ok, off the boat and back on the case...
did he throw out his batteries into the regular garbage? drive in the breakdown lane on the interstate? i know, he poured water into his neighbors riding mower... that's it, right? did he tear the big label off his mattress? domestic violence? is that it, cuz they changed the rules on that one since y2k times. nowadays, they just haul both into the clink, and sort it out later. ya can't make judgements on stuff when the rules are different. how about recycling, does he hate recycling? mebbe he used round-up on the driveway weeds, is that it? oops, forgot oxys, was he snorting oxys back in the day? man, when they switched to that instant gel formula, a lot of very good and upstanding citizens got all kerfuffled by that move. how aboot broccoli, is he one of those anti-broccoli types? ax murderer? cattle rustler, sheep stealer? did he help some guys cheat on whatever test the ncaa makes them take? not return calhouns calls? say bad things aboot someone's momma?
cheez and crackers, the suspense is killing me. inquiring minds want to know!
he told everyone that clark kent is Superman, that's got to be it... whatever he did, i shore hope it has hookers and blow in the tale. ya kind of expect it in this modern day and age. makes for good ratings.
(and for those keeping score at home. caught a striper (not a keeper), and a bluefish (dinner), on an umbrella jig. my pals weren't interested in stopping by the crack pipe store, so i never learned if they are open on sundays.)

Last edited:

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
ok, off the boat and back on the case...
did he throw out his batteries into the regular garbage? drive in the breakdown lane on the interstate? i know, he poured water into his neighbors riding mower... that's it, right? did he tear the big label off his mattress? domestic violence? is that it, cuz they changed the rules on that one since y2k times. nowadays, they just haul both into the clink, and sort it out later. ya can't make judgements on stuff when the rules are different. how about recycling, does he hate recycling? mebbe he used round-up on the driveway weeds, is that it? oops, forgot oxys, was he snorting oxys back in the day? man, when they switched to that instant gel formula, a lot of very good and upstanding citizens got all kerfuffled by that move. how aboot broccoli, is he one of those anti-broccoli types? ax murderer? cattle rustler, sheep stealer? did he help some guys cheat on whatever test the ncaa makes them take? not return calhouns calls? say bad things aboot someone's momma?
cheez and crackers, the suspense is killing me. inquiring minds want to know!
he told everyone that clark kent is Superman, that's got to be it... whatever he did, i shore hope it has hookers and blow in the tale. ya kind of expect it in this modern day and age. makes for good ratings.
(and for those keeping score at home. caught a striper (not a keeper), and a bluefish (dinner), on an umbrella jig. my pals weren't interested in stopping by the crack pipe store, so i never learned if they are open on sundays.)
Nothing you said made any kind of sense. Keep defending KO, keep playing funky with the feedback. You be you, but we see who you is, boy-oh.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
while trolling around with time on my hands, i decided to give him a ring..
'yo, K, some of the homeboys got the mads for you. saying anyone could have coached the championship squad, and think that you should give back the ring, how aboot it? it might make them happy."
'no.'
'ok, let's try something easier to make the peace. you rang up 11 mil cash on the seeya gift, how aboot giving that back? could go a long way to your redemption."
'no.'
'ok. this one is close to my heart. now about this koolatts wearing disaster...

click.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I agree that he is free to speak and that he worked his butt off playing basketball here, and I didn’t. But it also bears noting that he wasn’t on the active roster that season either.
So what? So he didn't see anything while he was cooling his heels? Good lord, like he doesn't count because he was on the bench and not on the floor. How does that negate anything he lived through?

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
while trolling around with time on my hands, i decided to give him a ring..
'yo, K, some of the homeboys got the mads for you. saying anyone could have coached the championship squad, and think that you should give back the ring, how aboot it? it might make them happy."
'no.'
'ok, let's try something easier to make the peace. you rang up 11 mil cash on the seeya gift, how aboot giving that back? could go a long way to your redemption."
'no.'
'ok. this one is close to my heart. now about this koolatts wearing disaster...

click.
No one calls him K. Might as well call him Jermaine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So what? So he didn't see anything while he was cooling his heels? Good lord, like he doesn't count because he was on the bench and not on the floor. How does that negate anything he lived through?
It doesn’t. And I didn’t mean to suggest that it does. But imo it provides context, which is why I said it bears noting.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I was going tl:dr this because I just knew it was going to be nonsense. But I gave it a shot and was instantly reminded of the old adage about trusting your first instinct. Nothing you say refutes the assertion that Vance Jackson's dad was right about Ollie all along. I swear, if all of my college instructors were of your caliber I would have never made it through.
No, to be clear, VJ's dad ruined his career. That has nothing to do with the dumpster fire that has long been KO....

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Just caught up with this thread.

I was talking with a buddy about this and we both agree that while major credit is given to him winning a title (the argument that anyone could have lead that team to a championship is pure bunk), the second half of his tenure was not good.

A specific memory is the overall body language of the bench. College basketball teams are known for being super fiery and amped up, but I recall multiple games where that fire wasn’t there, almost a sense of complacency.

That’s rare for any basketball team and might have been a sign of how Ollie led…we don’t know, but I do know that I’m so glad we’re back to playing basketball where everyone on the floor and the bench have passion regardless who we play.
His last year KO literally sat on the bench looking at the floor while his staff coached around him

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
His last year KO literally sat on the bench looking at the floor while his staff coached around him
Truth. And a reminder, at that point, he had cut out Coach Calhoun ("I'm not taking that old man's calls"), fired all of JC's hold-over staff, and basked quite publicly in the light of his national championship.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

To a certain extent it's true. Ben could have been a 25 ppg player without trying against 95% of UConn's opponents. He was that good of a scorer and everyone could see it.

Same could be said of Taliek Brown who took 3 1/2 years to learn how to play at the right speed at the right time.

Ben and Taliek were a lethal duo of physical size and speed. 2004 had the luxury of letting Taliek do his stuff and then put the ball in Ben's hands in the last two minutes because Taliek was a horrible FT shooter.

2004 had so much talent it had obviously flawed players just doing their stuff and there was a quality substitute at all times.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To a certain extent it's true. Ben could have been a 25 ppg player without trying against 95% of UConn's opponents. He was that good of a scorer and everyone could see it.

Same could be said of Taliek Brown who took 3 1/2 years to learn how to play at the right speed at the right time.

Ben and Taliek were a lethal duo of physical size and speed. 2004 had the luxury of letting Taliek do his stuff and then put the ball in Ben's hands in the last two minutes because Taliek was a horrible FT shooter.

2004 had so much talent it had obviously flawed players just doing their stuff and there was a quality substitute at all times.
Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Best thread of the year followed by the worst thread of the year! Keep at folks we are certainly breaking new ground on this subject.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nothing you said made any kind of sense. Keep defending KO, keep playing funky with the feedback. You be you, but we see who you is, boy-oh.
'keep playing funky'
ok.

thank you for the invite to post this, one of my favorite tunes. they never seem to ask for stuff like this over at the music threads.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

What you are looking at is a 2004 team which won the championship. Had Emeka been healthy all year it's a 1-2 loss team or less and considered an all-time great team. It was that good.

All that being said (fancy way of saying "but"), there were flawed players on that team. Taliek took a ton of crap from us fans for 3 1/2 years because he couldn't shoot, couldn't make FT's and over penetrated leading to TO's.

Ben was a reluctant scorer even though 20 points a night looked like a warm up shoot around for him.

Emeka struggled with FT's too. Fortunately Ben, Rashard and Denham were close to lights out at the line at end of games and it worked.

Reaction Score
Your instructors passed you through out of pity. To use Vance Jackson's Dad of all people as evidence of anything!!! This board never ceases to amaze. The very idea that Vance was NBA bound after freshman year reminds me of the delusional parents of mediocre soccer players that I encounter each and every weekend.

Reaction Score
Your instructors passed you through out of pity. To use Vance Jackson's Dad of all people as evidence of anything!!! This board never ceases to amaze. The very idea that Vance was NBA bound after freshman year reminds me of the delusional parents of mediocre soccer players that I encounter each and every weekend.

Anyone paying attention knew Vance Jackson had stage parents in high school that were going to be annoying wherever he ended up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom