Robert Morris University intends to drop MHOC/WHOC | The Boneyard

Robert Morris University intends to drop MHOC/WHOC

Reaction Score

-> Robert Morris University announced today it will no longer field NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey teams as part of a series of strategic initiatives intended to position the university to be amongst the most agile and professionally focused schools in the nation as it prepares for its upcoming 100th anniversary.

The university’s senior leadership team shared these strategic initiatives, collectively called “RMU: Beyond 100,” at the RMU Board of Trustees annual retreat last week.

The university will honor all scholarships currently being received by the student-athletes whose sports are being discontinued and will assist those who wish to transfer. Under NCAA rules, student-athletes who transfer from schools that have eliminated their sport do not have to sit out a season at their new school. The university has pledged to put all of its support services at the disposal of student-athletes, including academic, eligibility, and career advising. <-

->RMU remains committed to NCAA Division I athletics, and continues to field 15 Division I sports. By discontinuing Division I ice hockey, the university puts itself in closer alignment with similarly sized institutions. Approximately 55 student-athletes and seven staff positions will be impacted by this decision, which is effective immediately. <-

Reaction Score
Unfortunate for RMU, yet anyone have any informed insight on possible quality players of interest for UConn?

Reaction Score
Wow. There's a slot for LIU. But Bobby Mo put up some decent hockey during their run. Too bad for Bobby Mo fans.

Their rink has 1200 seats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isn’t that unusual these days but this press release translated into English means we are becoming basically a business school because that is where the money is. No more of those pesky liberal arts for us, baby. And our athletic program will be basketball which brings in cash from the NCAA and a few other sports we can run on the cheap. Oh, and lots and lots of part time faculty...they may not have academic credentials but they work cheap and maybe their companies hire a few kids.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Surprised to learn that PA now has only two D1 hockey teams - PSU and Mercyhurst, which is up in Erie. Not a single team in the eastern half of the state.

Reaction Score
I think Jordan Timmons transferred to RMU from UConn. Not sure if he’s a junior or senior. I’d have to look it up.

Reaction Score
Surprised to learn that PA now has only two D1 hockey teams - PSU and Mercyhurst, which is up in Erie. Not a single team in the eastern half of the state.
And PSU's program is <10 years old.

Reaction Score
Ironically, RMU keeping their hockey program would be a good business decision in itself. They are getting a lot of support.

Reaction Score
I assume LIU is knocking on AHA doors hoping to fill RMU’s slot. Didn’t they play essentially an AHA schedule last season anyway?

Reaction Score
I assume LIU is knocking on AHA doors hoping to fill RMU’s slot. Didn’t they play essentially an AHA schedule last season anyway?

I would think LIU would be a natural fit for Atlantic Hockey.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Shakedown.

Expect to see this move at other smaller schools. Trying to get the public to pay for something they can afford on their own.
Should have taken that route w/ UConn Rowing…

Reaction Score
Not exactly a sustainable way to fund the program. And hoe reliable is it going to be to put these guys on your schedule or in your league?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom