RJ Cole Back On Campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Back On Campus

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It always makes me laugh when someone approaches something that is clearly hyperbolic and said in jest with an impassioned point by point defense attorney style rebuttal. It’s ok to joke, like calling back to the people (one person in particular) who said the coaching staff was “DONE, the first domino of many to fall!” when Kevin Freeman decided he didn’t want to be an assistant anymore. People overreact, and it’s ok to joke about it.
Sure, but that’s not really what happened here.

It was simply a thread posting RJ’s tweet about enjoying being back on campus, and the very first reaction was essentially a “Suck it, Hurley haters!” post.

Exaggeration and mocking is all part of the game here for sure, but I thought that one was misplaced and a stretch—a swing and miss—because no one ever seriously claimed that RJ hated Hurley or the program, and his departure (and Tyrese’s) is a markedly different circumstance than Diggins, Floyd or Akok.

Although I do look forward to the “Suck it, Hurley haters!” posts whenever anyone of those guys or Gaff stumble elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Sure, but that’s not really what happened here.

It was simply a thread posting RJ’s tweet about enjoying being back on campus, and the very first reaction was essentially a “Suck it, Hurley haters!” post.

Exaggeration and mocking is all part of the game here for sure, but I thought that one was misplaced and a stretch—a swing and miss—because no one ever seriously claimed that RJ hated Hurley or the program, and his departure (and Tyrese’s) is a markedly different circumstance than Diggins, Floyd or Akok.

Although I do look forward to the “Suck it, Hurley haters!” posts whenever anyone of those guys or Gaff stumble elsewhere.

It’s exactly what happened here. That first comment was so innocuous (“Remember when everyone left a few months ago because they hated Hurley and the program”) and so clearly a joke. Pointed hyperbole, perhaps, but clearly not something serious.

As to your last sentence, there is going to be someone (multiple someones!) who says something stupid every single day here. If you want to tie that into someone caping for Hurley, go for it, I guess. My guess would be that most people wish Akok and Jalen and probably Rahsool well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s exactly what happened here. That first comment was so innocuous (“Remember when everyone left a few months ago because they hated Hurley and the program”) and so clearly a joke. Pointed hyperbole, perhaps, but clearly not something serious.

As to your last sentence, there is going to be someone (multiple someones!) who says something stupid every single day here. If you want to tie that into someone caping for Hurley, go for it, I guess. My guess would be that most people wish Akok and Jalen and probably Rahsool well.
The point is that his “joke” was targeting exactly what you’re saying, ie, something stupid posted by one poster that had no application here. It had no goal other than canonizing Hurley by creating a straw man.

Your omission of well wishes for Corey is interesting, and noted.

Reaction Score
Would RJ back at the point make us a top 10 team next year?

Reaction Score
I don't think so, because if RJ was back I doubt Tristen Newton would come here. Better team definitely but I'm not sure that's the difference between top 10 and 20-25

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The point is that his “joke” was targeting exactly what you’re saying, ie, something stupid posted by one poster that had no application here. It had no goal other than canonizing Hurley by creating a straw man.

Yikes

Reaction Score

Shouldn't be that difficult to understand why Corey's transfer would be treated differently than the others.

Anyway, good to see former players coming back to show the young pups the standards they need to meet.

Reaction Score
Weak.

I missed the part where he said RJ doesn’t like Hurley. Much less that he hated him.

The desire to turn everything into a fight here is getting beyond ridiculous. Not even one reply to what should have been a positive thread and we’ve got keyboard warriors puffing out their chests about haters who don’t even exist.
And this is one of the reasons why I have refrained from posting since the end of the season. Kudos @8893

Reaction Score
People were unhappy here for whatever reason and left, good luck on your new team. Other people wanted to come here and did, lets have a great season. As my mother-in-law would say "peace out."

Reaction Score
And this is one of the reasons why I have refrained from posting since the end of the season. Kudos @8893
The irony here is @8893 theb debating & arguing with everyone in this thread. I’m sure for calling it out I’ll be the next victim. Just pointing it out as something funny.

Akok has a much better opportunity, his body betrayed him. Wish him well.
Gaffney is likely at a place where he’ll be better matched. Best wishes
Sool went to UMass. Frank should be good for him, wish him well.
Corey.

Happy for RJ, would have loved him to come back, but he’s always been a great face for the program. Can’t blame him for not wanting to do a 6th year & going to get paid.

Think that summarizes all the sub convos of the thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The irony here is @8893 theb debating & arguing with everyone in this thread. I’m sure for calling it out I’ll be the next victim. Just pointing it out as something funny.

Akok has a much better opportunity, his body betrayed him. Wish him well.
Gaffney is likely at a place where he’ll be better matched. Best wishes
Sool went to UMass. Frank should be good for him, wish him well.
Corey.

Happy for RJ, would have loved him to come back, but he’s always been a great face for the program. Can’t blame him for not wanting to do a 6th year & going to get paid.

Think that summarizes all the sub convos of the thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You said "everyone left a few months ago because they hated Hurley."

"Everyone" and "hated" were stretches; which is why I said it was wrong to connect your desire for revenge to RJ's situation in any way.

It comes back to the black or white thing I commented on a week or so ago. Those who want to canonize Hurley are obviously very sensitive to any suggestion that he might not be perfect. But the fact is that some players love him and his style, some don't, and some are probably somewhere in between.

Transfers are much different than Tyrese and RJ, who were as close to being Hurley family members as you can get.

I suspect--but don't know--that you might hear a different perspective from Corey Floyd, Jr., for example.
I’ll put it this way, nobody with an IQ over 50 not suffering from severe mental illness thought that Martin and Cole decided not to return due to some issue with Hurley.

Yes, there are both insane and truly stupid people out there. So technically some really stupid or really crazy people may have thought that. But it wasn’t anything this board (which is sometimes a little stupid and a litttle crazy) embraced. Martin and Cole in particular have pretty deep ties to Hurley and his family that go beyond their time at UConn.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Weak.

I missed the part where he said RJ doesn’t like Hurley. Much less that he hated him.

The desire to turn everything into a fight here is getting beyond ridiculous. Not even one reply to what should have been a positive thread and we’ve got keyboard warriors puffing out their chests about haters who don’t even exist.

The modern day World Wide Web and more. Sometimes I think people live to be offended

As for me, I love the direction of all our programs, even looking forward to Mora & football, and I can't wait to see a basketball exhibition game just to check out the new guys . And yes, the Hawk will soar.

Find reasons to be happy people, it's OK

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
More than anything, I’m glad everyone has been able to peel back all the many layers and hidden messages I put in that one sentence joke that on the surface could’ve been taken as enjoying the fact that our players like coming back

Reaction Score

“Noted“ Is this going on the record? Should I get a lawyer?

This is what I said… ”My guess would be that most people wish Akok and Jalen and probably Rahsool well.” Do you disagree with that? I would ask you to not misrepresent my words.

Canonizing? My good dude, you have really lost the thread here. I get it, you’re mad that people have been and are saying bad stuff about Ollie. That doesn’t make the current coach and staff the enemy.

Reaction Score

I don’t think so. I think RJ maximized what he could do at this level. For people who want to complain about the transfer game, it worked out beautifully for RJ. His success at UConn was not assured, coming from Howard. A lot of players would be well-served by imitating his drive, work ethic, and toughness. A dream played out for him at UConn. He would be the perfect candidate to come back and join the staff, if he wants to when his playing career is over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. I think RJ maximized what he could do at this level. For people who want to complain about the transfer game, it worked out beautifully for RJ.
It worked out pretty well for Tyrese too. :)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
“Noted“ Is this going on the record? Should I get a lawyer?

This is what I said… ”My guess would be that most people wish Akok and Jalen and probably Rahsool well.” Do you disagree with that? I would ask you to not misrepresent my words.

Canonizing? My good dude, you have really lost the thread here. I get it, you’re mad that people have been and are saying bad stuff about Ollie. That doesn’t make the current coach and staff the enemy.
Ah, no. The thread was lost at the first reply.

I didn't misrepresent anything; I noted your omission of Corey, which I found interesting.

I didn't think Ollie had anything to do with this thread, but thanks for confirming your take.

By all means carry on!

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The modern day World Wide Web and more. Sometimes I think people live to be offended

As for me, I love the direction of all our programs, even looking forward to Mora & football, and I can't wait to see a basketball exhibition game just to check out the new guys . And yes, the Hawk will soar.

Find reasons to be happy people, it's OK
I'm really happy that Purvis and RJ are interacting with our current players. It's always great when former players return to UConn.

l applaud your sentiment.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anytime a former player wants to come back and be a positive role model for the current players is more than welcome and I appreciate their time and respect for the program.
Those that come back in search for an audience or a headline or wants to tear apart a former coach/player can be better served by staying away
Welcome back RJ

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. I think RJ maximized what he could do at this level. For people who want to complain about the transfer game, it worked out beautifully for RJ. His success at UConn was not assured, coming from Howard. A lot of players would be well-served by imitating his drive, work ethic, and toughness. A dream played out for him at UConn. He would be the perfect candidate to come back and join the staff, if he wants to when his playing career is over.
I agree RJ ultimately perform at a level equivalent to his ceiling. While that was pretty good it perhaps did not take us to the next level. Tyrese on the other hand, had things he could reasonably improve on (finishing around the rim for one) and greater size and physical attributes. All of which explains their current situations.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Great to have all the former players back and working out with our guys. Going up against (now) pros whether NBA or otherwise should elevate the play of guys like Sanogo when competing against Facey, who was a decent from 16 feet in and having RJ matching up against Newton. By the way old heads coming back is the norm (or at least should be) with most programs, they are an important fabric in development, recruitment, marketing, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom