RJ Cole Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RJ Cole Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
The young man played an excellent game today. He took what he was given and only forced it a couple of times when shot clocks were running down. When his confidence is up, you can see that he knows how to score. I'm happy for him and the team. They played good team basketball today.

Reaction Score
RJ finally showed out today - you could tell the shot was there it just wasn’t falling this season. So happy for him. And for those who actually thought Gaffney was better than Cole , can we please put that nonsense to bed now? It was dumb to say it before today’s game and still comical to say he’s better than Cole now. And I’m not even mentioning RJ’s defense this year which has been pretty damn good. Our offense has so much more pop when RJ’s in the lineup (Jackson and akok help , don’t get me wrong) but can we stop having his debate now please?

Reaction Score
Conversely, Gaff sometimes passes the eye test. When Gaff plays well he makes some really nice drives to the hoop. Looks athletic.
He didn't today when he had that breakaway and instead of jamming it home he tried to lay it in from straight on and missed. It had me laughing about that article in the preseason where they talked about him unleashing his "above the rim athleticism." Dunk that ball, kid!

Reaction Score
Last 7 games:
15ppg
4.7 apg
2.3 TO/game
45% from field
43% from 3
5.4 FT attempts/game
1.7 steals/game

He looks awesome running the point right now, too. Probing the defense, getting in the lane, drawing fouls. I'm really excited to see how Cole+Martin fare with Bouk's return as both seem to have come into their own in his absence.

Reaction Score
Last 7 games:
15ppg
4.7 apg
2.3 TO/game
45% from field
43% from 3
5.4 FT attempts/game
1.7 steals/game

He looks awesome running the point right now, too. Probing the defense, getting in the lane, drawing fouls. I'm really excited to see how Cole+Martin fare with Bouk's return as both seem to have come into their own in his absence.
The offense looks better with him in the game, and has all year.

Reaction Score
RJ made quite a few good decisions today especially when it came time to shoot a 3. Only one 3 was forced and it was when we had no rebounders near the hoop. Gaffney looks like a short order cook who does not know the menu and has a window full of dupes. The missed layup plus the non layup pass OOB. Need a real tune up to start making plays by him.

Reaction Score
Four players were huge today in their impact. RJ, Martin, Whaley, and Akok.

Akok was the wild card, hitting shots from deep, blocking, rebounding. Unexpected to see him looking that good, the team looked different with him on the floor. They looked more talented, more athletic, taller, and most of all, more confident.

As for RJ, people are too hot and cold on him. The first half of the season he didn’t play well, definitely not close to what he was advertised to be. Weak D, bad turnovers, empty drives to the hoop, hot and cold shooting, not getting the ball to people in scoring position.

Around game 8 he started figuring it out. Had to adjust to playing against, and with, higher level talent. What he could and couldn’t do at this level. Now he’s got it figured out for the most part and his game has improved noticeably.

Most of us here would agree this was RJs best game this year. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it was also the first time he came in off the bench. I want to see DH keep RJ coming in off the bench. Need that instant offense, can juice the team when it needs it.

Martin was the toughest player on the court today. Not just muscle tough, but will-to-win tough. And Whaley was right behind him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
is the answer to keep cole coming off the bench? i still think both he and gaff should start allowing cole to play off the ball. we showed we can play fast today and we're better when whaley and sanogo stagger minutes at center. akok looks like he's ready to give us 10+mpg at PF too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cole had a couple bullet passes inside today that shouldn't go overlooked.........and they were caught and scored. They looked like the passes we kept hearing he was throwing in practices the past year.

Reaction Score
Cole is one of the few guys on the team that can get buckets and hunts his shot/plays with offensive aggressiveness. Without Bouk he is large. His best game couldn't have come at a better and more important time.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
A real difference maker on offense, the game we were waiting for. Let's hope this is truly his breakout game

Curiouser
Reaction Score
940x0.jpg

Reaction Score
RJ seems to be happy & enjoy the game, he smiles a lot, he also seems to like his teammates and vice-versa. That kind of positive energy is infectious.

MJ1

Reaction Score
The game has slowed down for Cole, seeing the floor well and playing with confidence. Nice game tonight.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I’ll gladly eat my words. Cole is playing a lot better and the team plays way better when he’s seeing things.

Reaction Score
I was a Gaff guy. But I have really appreciated Cole's growth in the shortened season. Started out not looking like a DI player. He's pretty much doing everything he can. Growing in every way possible. Really maximized his potential

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom