RIP Wonkster | The Boneyard

RIP Wonkster

JS

Reaction Score
With sadness we note the passing of Frank Buchwalder about a year ago, news that we missed at the time.

Francis Buchwalder Obituary - (2020) - Milford, CT - Connecticut Post

Under his main handle of Wonkster, Frank was one of the most impactful Boneyarders for many years. Of course he couldn’t resist using other handles as well, an anarchic practice that was then informally allowed and gave him literary license to play off his own ideas.

I first came to the board in the late 90’s, when Frank was already a board institution, and I posted some stuff that caused him to want to meet me. He lived in nearby Westport at the time, so we had lunch.

From there we developed a friendship based on several things -- love of UConn women’s basketball and love of words being most prominent. Frank pursued a decades-long project of writing his own dictionary, and he was a fiendishly accomplished Scrabble player.

The first time he showed up at my door to play Scrabble, though I considered myself no slouch with words, I had a premonition of doom. He placed several handwritten notebooks of good Scrabble words on the table and announced they were for consultation in case I challenged his plays.

A single dictionary wasn’t good enough, he said, because his house rules (imposed at my house) required allowing any word that appears in any dictionary anywhere. To an opponent, it felt like bringing a pop-gun to a fight and finding yourself staring down the mouth of a bazooka.

Believe me, I savored my very occasional Scrabble wins over him, which literally involved the luck of the draw.

Frank was an incessant talker. We had him over for a holiday dinner once, and it was the only time I saw my mother, one of the two or three most loquacious persons on the East Coast, reduced to silence in the face of an onslaught of verbosity. (Said she, “He certainly does talk, doesn’t he?”)

As for basketball, we started driving to games together, along with Nuzzi for a time, and Frank introduced me to HuskyNan. A few years later, when I became a mod, it was quickly apparent that Frank commanded outsized attention. He wasn’t the biggest board villain (we had a couple of doozies around at the time), or a villain at all, but he had a relentless instinct for envelope pushing.

We had an eventual falling out over an issue that managed to push aside our common interests, which is the reason for one of our most important board rules. For the past few years he didn’t post and several Boneyarders failed in their attempts to reach him by private message or emails.

His intelligence, and especially his humor, will be, and have been, missed.

RIP, Wonkster. You were a trip, and I mean that in a very good way.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
JS

I didn't know Frank nearly as well as you.
But when I first joined the board and was taking a pretty good beating;

Frank befriended me and we hung out a bit at games...
Went down to Philly together to watch UConn manhandle Duke and
the tough game where Tiff went off on a three festival.
Swell guy, among the many I miss...
Thanks for the obit.

Michael

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
JS, thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about Frank's passing. You and I wondered about him a few years ago. I'm not sure when I last heard from him, but it was about 4-5 years ago. I joked with him in Philly in 2011 that he was a bad luck charm because of the tight game between Maya-led UConn and Georgetown. At the subsequent Duke game, I sat with UConnCat, who was a better luck charm. I saw Frank at a few games in Bridgeport after that and rode MetroNorth after games to Westport, where he departed. I was unaware that he had moved to Milford. I do recall, though, that he was developing vision problems and insisted that I take vitamins to prevent vision problems (which I still do). I never had the opportunity to play scrabble with him, but do recall his ability to talk seemingly without coming up for air. RIP, Wonk!

Reaction Score
I only met Wonkster briefly at a couple games, really didn’t know him except for his posting here. He “welcomed” me to the BY 20+ years ago by busting on me incessantly and ridiculing my naïveté, until I became educated enough that he either began to find me more credible or just put me on ignore. R.I.P.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow Kibitzer Wonkster and me used to drive up to the games together. Yeah he could talk. One memory. He gave me directions and insisted I take them to one of the games. Well we got lost and made the start of the game by minutes. So sorry to hear he passed.

God Bless Prayers are on the way.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I recall Wonkster being a prolific poster and welcomed his posts, though I do not recall controversial topics. What were his other handles?

Reaction Score
An odd thing about boards is that you often do not know that someone is no longer posting. And only realize it when it is brought up.

My mother had an old Nebraska description of a long-winded person- as someone with whom you could not get a word in edgewise.

An interesting project would be to do a book of great posters and posts. Does a record of pre-2011 posts still exist?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have some very fond memories of the Wonkster. One was of sitting with you, JS, and him in the nosebleed section at the UT game in which D not only hit the 75ft buzzer shot to end the first half, but also a miracle three, tightly covered, with seconds on the clock to force the overtime, in which we won. I think we were all three sore from over-zealous back pounding.

I used to have a lot of fun with Wonks on the Boneyard, too, back in the dear old days when you could post with multiple handles. Wonks had many of them, the only one I can remember being Father O`Malley. I drove him nearly to distraction by posting some doggerel verse as The Poet Lariat. He thought it was me, but couldn`t be quite sure. (You were also a suspect!) I teased him with that for months before I finally confessed. Things in general were taken much less seriously on the BY back in those days. There were fewer posters, fewer rules and a riotous good time was had by all. As Father O`Malley he delivered some marvelous homilies. I wish I had thought to save them. He cold also be marvelously sarcastic and acerbic when someone´s post struck him as stupid or overly self-important, which happened rather frequently. He was definitely one of a kind!

I have often wondered what had become of the Wonkster. Thanks, JS, for bringing the sad news.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wonkster, @Nuzzi , JS? or Kibitzer? and I took a rather madcap road trip to Piscataway to see the Huskies play Rutgers. Those were the days when Rutgers refused to sell tickets to anyone with a Connecticut zip code. I didn’t ask how he got the tickets. :eek: It was a fierce rivalry back then and Frank had some choice asides for the more aggressive RU fans that had me in stitches. He had a cutting humor that would leave the victim sliced and diced but his humor was at such a high intelligence level the victim was never quite sure he’d been insulted.

The drive back late at night with the gas gauge firmly on E required us to exit the highway in a highly questionable part of the Bronx to find a (clean) rest room and gas. (I think the gentlemen found a corner with only one resident while I just suffered in silence.) There was a lot of yelling and insulting going on that was, in retrospect, hilarious the next day but terrifying in the Bronx at midnight.

Frank was a big ol’ teddy bear of a guy with a ready quip and a big bear hug. I will miss him.

Last edited:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
My dedicated lurker days hail back to Wonkster's posting days. He could certainly fill up a post..

I've been wondering for awhile whatever happened to him. Now I know. Sad.

JS

Reaction Score
I recall Wonkster being a prolific poster and welcomed his posts, though I do not recall controversial topics. What were his other handles?
Not so much controversial as aggressive, sometimes scathing humor. Can't remember that about him? Cornell guys stick together.

He also had some hot buttons in the areas of politics and religion that resulted in posts that tested the rules.

Been a long time to remember many of the aliases.

Zorro points out Father O'Malley. Jess Wundrin comes to mind. El Toro (with Inquisition-minded threats) was another.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Not so much controversial as aggressive, sometimes scathing humor. Can't remember that about him? Cornell guys stick together.

Lol. As I recall, in the battle of Land Grant dairy bars Wonkster championed Cornell’s and I championed UConn’s. Come to think of it, maybe that WAS a controversial topic.

On edit: And I believe Icebear championed Penn State’s. What’s up with him?

JS

Reaction Score
I have some very fond memories of the Wonkster. One was of sitting with you, JS, and him in the nosebleed section at the UT game in which D not only hit the 75ft buzzer shot to end the first half, but also a miracle three, tightly covered, with seconds on the clock to force the overtime, in which we won. I think we were all three sore from over-zealous back pounding.
Yeah, what a moment that was. One of the most exciting ever.

Tennessee, the dynasty fresh from being cut down a peg by UConn, was expected to reassert itself behind the experienced Kara Lawson & Co.

"This is our year" was the watchword on the Summitt. But DT was having none of it. Just a monstrous clutch player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So sad to hear. Sorry we missed it last year. I think I went a couple rounds with Wonkster, but I think mostly we shared the same disdain for "dumb" posts. May he RIP.

Reaction Score
With sadness we note the passing of Frank Buchwalder about a year ago, news that we missed at the time.

Francis Buchwalder Obituary - (2020) - Milford, CT - Connecticut Post

Under his main handle of Wonkster, Frank was one of the most impactful Boneyarders for many years. Of course he couldn’t resist using other handles as well, an anarchic practice that was then informally allowed and gave him literary license to play off his own ideas.

I first came to the board in the late 90’s, when Frank was already a board institution, and I posted some stuff that caused him to want to meet me. He lived in nearby Westport at the time, so we had lunch.

From there we developed a friendship based on several things -- love of UConn women’s basketball and love of words being most prominent. Frank pursued a decades-long project of writing his own dictionary, and he was a fiendishly accomplished Scrabble player.

The first time he showed up at my door to play Scrabble, though I considered myself no slouch with words, I had a premonition of doom. He placed several handwritten notebooks of good Scrabble words on the table and announced they were for consultation in case I challenged his plays.

A single dictionary wasn’t good enough, he said, because his house rules (imposed at my house) required allowing any word that appears in any dictionary anywhere. To an opponent, it felt like bringing a pop-gun to a fight and finding yourself staring down the mouth of a bazooka.

Believe me, I savored my very occasional Scrabble wins over him, which literally involved the luck of the draw.

Frank was an incessant talker. We had him over for a holiday dinner once, and it was the only time I saw my mother, one of the two or three most loquacious persons on the East Coast, reduced to silence in the face of an onslaught of verbosity. (Said she, “He certainly does talk, doesn’t he?”)

As for basketball, we started driving to games together, along with Nuzzi for a time, and Frank introduced me to HuskyNan. A few years later, when I became a mod, it was quickly apparent that Frank commanded outsized attention. He wasn’t the biggest board villain (we had a couple of doozies around at the time), or a villain at all, but he had a relentless instinct for envelope pushing.

We had an eventual falling out over an issue that managed to push aside our common interests, which is the reason for one of our most important board rules. For the past few years he didn’t post and several Boneyarders failed in their attempts to reach him by private message or emails.

His intelligence, and especially his humor, will be, and have been, missed.

RIP, Wonkster. You were a trip, and I mean that in a very good way.
I remember his posts. Super quick witted, little tolerance for fools, always interesting.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes. He did not bear them gladly. I seem to remember he had some scathing retorts to BBallxxxxx who was a profound belittler of Maria Conlon. Can`t remember anything specific, but I am sure that they went zhoom right over his target´s head. Are those 2003-2006 posts archived anywhere?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes. He did not bear them gladly. I seem to remember he had some scathing retorts to BBallxxxxx who was a profound belittler of Maria Conlon. Can`t remember anything specific, but I am sure that they went zhoom right over his target´s head. Are those 2003-2006 posts archived anywhere?
OMG BBallXXXXX. Never to be heard from again after Maria’s performance in the 2003 National Championship game, a game in which BBall claimed Maria “would never play a meaningful minute”.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If memory serves, BBall started in on Maria from the moment she was signed to a scholarship. He claimed she was short (she was), slow (she was, but had very quick hands) and that Geno was nuts to have offered her (he wasn´t!).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan ...was Wonkster with us that day we went to see that epic Blizzard game vs. Tennessee? Me, Nan, Nuzzi and Wonk?

This is sad news.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I remember Wonkster as a poster, quite honestly I have actually been around a very long time - since Fishy did a daily men's basketball recap and had just had a child, wherever that dates me - and the old-time posters have a certain something about them that is entertaining. Not that I don't enjoy most posters in the threads I read, but the old-timers are special.

As was pointed out when Wirechief died, (and he wasn't personally known to anyone), it is rare to know what happens to anonymous posters when they no longer post. Sad fact of message boards.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan ...was Wonkster with us that day we went to see that epic Blizzard game vs. Tennessee? Me, Nan, Nuzzi and Wonk?

This is sad news.
Oh man, Wonkster tearing up I84 at 60 mph in a blinding snowstorm. He had that crazy van that reminded me of the Scooby Doo van. Good times.

Did we have any winter games with Tennessee that weren’t played in a snowstorm?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom