RIP Willis Reed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RIP Willis Reed

Reaction Score
I still remember him coming into that game, just a hero. RIP.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can see the shot in my mind's eye. To try try imitate it would be something from anybody.
Was pleasantly surprised to find an actual video of it. Granted, I wasn't concerned about arm or wrist angles. It was simply the bent legs, with the lower leg parallel to the playing surface, then kicking out to generate more oomph. Nobody else had that form.

Also, didn't work for me at all, lol.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was last year law school in 70. One of our profs was a big Knick and Reed fan. Anytime the class didn’t feel like doing regular stuff, we could get him to talk Knicks at the slightest mention most of the time. I remember watching the Reed game. His playing with his obvious injury was a big deal. RIP.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I dislike the Knicks but not Willis.
RIP Big Guy
He and Clyde and my man B King - OMG those guys were good

Reaction Score
Clyde & Bill Bradley are still kicking. Bradley reveling in Princeton sweet sixteen. I remember watching 1970 vs Lakers on tape delay on a black and white TV. My father a lifelong Knick fan, NYU '56 grad, told me he used to go to tripleheaders at the Garden, UConn was a big time team. But he was a Knick guy. Has a Willis Reed signed basketball from his days as Nets GM. I've got to snag it before my brother in law does. RIP Willis. Can't wait to hear Walts eulogy

That Princeton team went to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
I can see the shot in my mind's eye. To try try imitate it would be something from anybody.

Post/handle

RIP, Willis.

Grew up a Celtics fan, but very much remember that era Knicks fondly, because, so many college friends were fans, and so many great players: college stars like Cazzie, Stallworth, Bradley, Meminger. Two-sport guy DeBuschere. Phil Jackson who the New Yorkers loved to dump on. And Riordan, out of Providence. And Clyde & Pearl out of mid-majors.

Those 2 schools weren’t mid majors. In fact, they weren’t majors at all. They were in what was the equivalent of today’s Division II.

Reaction Score
I still get irked how Clyde always instigated the contact but never was called for the foul. It was always and 1.

Why would you get irked? It was a foul because Clyde would head & shoulder fake first, and then the defender would go for the fake and jump up. Once he was off his feet, any contact was a foul. It was perfectly legal for Clyde to make a move toward the basket and into the defender once the defender was off his feet. Smart move by Clyde.

Reaction Score
I was 3. Lived in Tenafly. My Dad and Mom maintain that my Dad took me to that game (in fact he just texted me when he saw the news today), but I don't remember it. But he was a season ticket holder through late 60's to mid 70's and was definitely there. So I probably was. The stubs are on the wall of his rec room. It's quite an impressive wall, as he had season tickets or shared season tickets to knicks, rangers and jets and saved them all. I remember the 73 run like yesterday though. Loved that team in my formative years. Loved the Jets even more. Joe Willie.
I was actually one of the 19,500 that night A college sophomore waited online overnight to get my playoff strip of tickets. Got to see every home game of the ‘70 Championship.
What a thrill. Bullets first round vs Monroe, Unseld, Johnson, Marin and Loghery/Carter. Went 7 including 2 OT first game. Then Kareem and Bucks in 5 before getting to Lakers. West, Chamberlain, Baylor. What a series. Reed got hurt in 5th game and Holztman then had Stallworth, DeBusschere and Hoskins play Chamberlain. Chamberlain would come out to foul line to match Stallworh and he would simple drive around him to get bucket. Over and over again. Game 6 Reed out Knicks got killed in LA. Game 7 in NY without Reed it didn’t look good.
when Reed came out just moments before players were finished shooting pre game, the Garden went wild with hope.
Reed hit his first two jumpers from the elbow and then Frazier simply took over. 36 pTs, 19 Assists. Magical night. little did I know similar to the similar magical nights in 1999, 2004, 2011,2014. RIP Willis. Class act

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom