RIP Vin Scully | The Boneyard

RIP Vin Scully

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Somehow didn't realize he was 88 when he hung up his mic. Wasn't expecting this news, even at 94. One of those people who was just always there, in the background soundtrack of life. He was the best at what he did - so good he never needed a booth partner while with the Dodgers. He knew when to paint a picture, and when the picture was enough to speak for itself.

Even though the Mets had their own trio of HoF announcers for years, Scully is still the voice that comes to mind when thinking of the Mets' greatest moment.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I started paying for mlb package years ago was to listen to scully. I could care less about the dodgers but wanted to listen to the GOAT

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Somehow didn't realize he was 88 when he hung up his mic. Wasn't expecting this news, even at 94. One of those people who was just always there, in the background soundtrack of life. He was the best at what he did - so good he never needed a booth partner while with the Dodgers. He knew when to paint a picture, and when the picture was enough to speak for itself.

Even though the Mets had their own trio of HoF announcers for years, Scully is still the voice that comes to mind when thinking of the Mets' greatest moment.

Even more than Bucky Dent, that play convinced me the curse was real.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Truly the best. The part of the Ken Burns’ “Baseball” documentary where Scully was describing Ebbets Field will always give me goosebumps.

Reaction Score
The scope of his career is mind-boggling, like it literally doesn’t compute. He called games for both Jackie Robinson and Clayton Kershaw. He was an active announcer both while Joe DiMaggio was still playing and when Corey Seager made his MLB debut. Truly an institution of the game. And in a sport so seeped in tradition and history, he stands tall as one of its prime storytellers.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Truly a great announcer. I love listening to Vin and Curt Gowdy.

Here is another memorable less painful call for me.

RIP. Nobody better.

I think of this a lot: for how many plays are there two famous calls? ("She is gone!" and "I don't believe what I just saw!")?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The scope of his career is mind-boggling, like it literally doesn’t compute. He called games for both Jackie Robinson and Clayton Kershaw. He was an active announcer both while Joe DiMaggio was still playing and when Corey Seager made his MLB debut. Truly an institution of the game. And in a sport so seeped in tradition and history, he stands tall as one of its prime storytellers.
It is hard to grasp. I hit my official SS age yesterday (66 yrs, 4 mo), and he was in the booth even longer than that.

I was also thinking of the film, "For Love of the Game". Not a particularly great movie, but Scully brought it to life. If that was ever to be remade, who would the voice be? Joe Buck? Please no.

Reaction Score
It is hard to grasp. I hit my official SS age yesterday (66 yrs, 4 mo), and he was in the booth even longer than that.

I was also thinking of the film, "For Love of the Game". Not a particularly great movie, but Scully brought it to life. If that was ever to be remade, who would the voice be? Joe Buck? Please no.
Bob Uecker, he's still the play-by-play guy for the Brewers.

Reaction Score

That is incredible that he was in the both for over 66 years. Another thing crossed my mind when I watched clips of his calls today, how can any sport's fan not like baseball? The drama in these games is amazing. I still feel emotion watching the 86 World Series. I remember watching the last few innings at Logan since I couldn't get into Cask'n Flagon or any other bar near Fenway and had to watch the end.

Even watching the Dodgers and A's holds my interest and I am not vested in either team. I have been fortunate to listen to some great announcers such as Vin Scully and Keith Jackson in College Football in my lifetime among many great announcers. And certainly, Joe Buck is not in their class.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nah. Ueck is too tied to the Major League franchise, and also not a serious enough personality. Love Ueck, but he simply doesn't have the gravitas of Scully.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Scully was the best ever. It was great that we got him covering so many other events over the years, but it wasn't until I watched Dodgers games from LA that I really appreciated him.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember him as understudy to the great Red Barber. (And I was a Giants fan!) He learned from the master who more or less defined the job. Learned his lessons well.

PS. Gary Cohen just did a nice tribute to Scully prior to today's Mets game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Ueck is, I think, 88 and still sharp as a tack. Was interviewed by the Sox announcing team when the Brewers came to town a week ago. Speaking of guys with an amazing career.

Scully's voice on a broadcast was pure butter, and his time in baseball spanned a special era. He was an all-timer.

Reaction Score
Scully is the gold standard, amazing he broadcasted games in Ebbets field. Will never be another Vince Scully RIP.

Reaction Score

I remember seeing this live telling myself I better enjoy this watching and listening to 2 legends. The story telling was amazing.

Reaction Score

Yeah I thought of that too when I first heard the news. I watched it again last night, and your Joe Buck joke was not even close to being funny.

Reaction Score
Ueck is, I think, 88 and still sharp as a tack. Was interviewed by the Sox announcing team when the Brewers came to town a week ago. Speaking of guys with an amazing career.

Scully's voice on a broadcast was pure butter, and his time in baseball spanned a special era. He was an all-timer.
Ueck is my favorite of all-time and one of the funniest people in existence. It's sports, I like tuning in to watch the game and if an announcer/play-by-play guy makes it a really fun/funny experience it's a huge bonus. It's why Bill Raftery is my all-time favorite in basketball. It's really going to stink when all these guys are gone especially because it doesn't seem like there's any young guys to take their place.

Great Scully interview where he talks about Uecker...

Vin Scully: What he said in one of his last conference calls

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom