RIP Roger Mudd | The Boneyard

RIP Roger Mudd

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Longtime news man Roger Mudd .who worked for CBS, NBC, and PBS over a lengthy career, died this week at 93 years old. For you old timers, he was no relation to Icky Mudd of Captain Midnight fame. However, both men had two dees in their last name. ;)

Reaction Score
I loved the fact that he often questioned the veracity of politicians claims with statements like "who are your sources?". He was a great one. RIP Roger Mudd.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Longtime news man Roger Mudd .who worked for CBS, NBC, and PBS over a lengthy career, died this week at 93 years old. For you old timers, he was no relation to Icky Mudd of Captain Midnight fame. However, both men had two dees in their last name. ;)
But he was a descendant, direct or not I’m it sure, of Dr. Samuel Mudd who famously treated John Wilkes Booth’s broken leg suffered when he jumped from the balcony after killing Lincoln. Roger was a good one. RIP.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Everyone expected that he was going to succeed Walter Cronkite. Huge surprise when Dan Rather got the job.

Reaction Score
But he was a descendant, direct or not I’m it sure, of Dr. Samuel Mudd who famously treated John Wilkes Booth’s broken leg suffered when he jumped from the balcony after killing Lincoln. Roger was a good one. RIP
But he was a descendant, direct or not I’m it sure, of Dr. Samuel Mudd who famously treated John Wilkes Booth’s broken leg suffered when he jumped from the balcony after killing Lincoln. Roger was a good one. RIP.
It says a collateral descendant, meaning from a different branch of the family. However, the expression "your name is mud" comes from the same doctor whose guilt or innocence in the assassination aftermath was never firmly established. He was pardoned by President Johnson in 1869 but his reputation was destroyed. He was buried in the cemetery in back of the small church where he first met John Wilkes Booth.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It says a collateral descendant, meaning from a different branch of the family. However, the expression "your name is mud" comes from the same doctor whose guilt or innocence in the assassination aftermath was never firmly established. He was pardoned by President Johnson in 1869 but his reputation was destroyed. He was buried in the cemetery in back of the small church where he first met John Wilkes Booth.
I’d guess his relationship is either through a string of uncles or cousins.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
They don't make 'em like that in the news business anymore.
The current crop is evolving to be more like Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Everyone expected that he was going to succeed Walter Cronkite. Huge surprise when Dan Rather got the job.
When Walter Cronkite or Dan Rather interrupted the t.v. show we were watching a huge SHHHH went through the room bcus my parents knew something very important was abt to seen or heard.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
They don't make 'em like that in the news business anymore.
The current crop is evolving to be more like Harcourt Fenton Mudd.
I was going to remark that that name was a blast from the past, but he is from the 23rd century so that's out!;)

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Washington and Lee graduate. I went there, played ball for 3 years, did not graduate. Do the math on that.
Had to be a proud Terrapin.
Lexington is beautiful, did the tour at VMI...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom