RIP Peter Green | The Boneyard

RIP Peter Green

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Arguably the best of the British bluesmen. His guitar work mesmerizes me. One of maybe a dozen guitarists I can always identify by ear even if I don’t know the song.

It’s not fair to say that Fleetwood Mac was at its best with him because what it became was as different from the original as Jefferson Starship was to Jefferson Airplane. But it is my favorite of their music.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Peter Green destroyed his career with his drug use. Ironically, Fleetwood Mac would never have become the huge band they were in the late 70's and early 80's without him leaving, because Lindsay Buckingham would have never joined the band if they had a guitarist, and without Buckingham, Stevie Nicks wouldn't have joined either.

Fleetwood Mac is another example of a band that benefitted from having their big hit albums later in their career, after they had already established themselves and were able to negotiate a reasonable record deal. Other than Mick Fleetwood, all the core members of the band are worth north of $50 million even though they haven't released a studio album anyone cares about in over 30 years, and only had really 5 really big selling albums, although one of those was the monstrous Rumours. Most artists make almost nothing off their first few albums, but if those albums are at least moderately successful, they can really cash in on their later work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Peter Green destroyed his career with his drug use. Ironically, Fleetwood Mac would never have become the huge band they were in the late 70's and early 80's without him leaving, because Lindsay Buckingham would have never joined the band if they had a guitarist, and without Buckingham, Stevie Nicks wouldn't have joined either.

Fleetwood Mac is another example of a band that benefitted from having their big hit albums later in their career, after they had already established themselves and were able to negotiate a reasonable record deal. Other than Mick Fleetwood, all the core members of the band are worth north of $50 million even though they haven't released a studio album anyone cares about in over 30 years, and only had really 5 really big selling albums, although one of those was the monstrous Rumours. Most artists make almost nothing off their first few albums, but if those albums are at least moderately successful, they can really cash in on their later work.

Certainly true back then. Now, albums mean little. Nobody makes big money of records anymore. Used to be you toured to promote records sales, now you release records so somebody will come to your shows. Major concerts used to be like $5-10. Nobody profited on those. Now some acts are getting $250-300+ a seat. Fleetwood Mac pulled in $67 million touring in 2019.

You are right about Buckingham and Nicks. Another band to similarly benefit is Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett left. I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking of.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Certainly true back then. Now, albums mean little. Nobody makes big money of records anymore. Used to be you toured to promote records sales, now you release records so somebody will come to your shows. Major concerts used to be like $5-10. Nobody profited on those. Now some acts are getting $250-300+ a seat. Fleetwood Mac pulled in $67 million touring in 2019.

You are right about Buckingham and Nicks. Another band to similarly benefit is Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett left. I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking of.

The Bee Gees are the epitome of having your big sellers come after you are established. They started in the 60's, but I don't believe they had an album reach gold until the disco era, and which point they made a mint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Bee Gees are the epitome of having your big sellers come after you are established. They started in the 60's, but I don't believe they had an album reach gold until the disco era, and which point they made a mint.

Genesis did this as well I believe. Hell, Pink Floyd is a great example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom