RIP P.J. O'Rourke | The Boneyard

RIP P.J. O'Rourke

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sad news today. Dead at 74. One the funniest sharpest writers of his time. He had a great knack for finding the absurd and wonderous in the ordinary. As I got older I found his books and much to agree with in them. When I was younger, I was into cars like most people at Manchester High in the early 80s, and read Car & Driver. That’s where I was introduced to P.J. The most memorable of those articles was about the time he (and his National Lampoon boss) drove the Ferrari that was used in Vacation across the country.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Sad news today. Dead at 74. One the funniest sharpest writers of his time. He had a great knack for finding the absurd and wonderous in the ordinary. As I got older I found his books and much to agree with in them. When I was younger, I was into cars like most people at Manchester High in the early 80s, and read Car & Driver. That’s where I was introduced to P.J. The most memorable of those articles was about the time he (and his National Lampoon boss) drove the Ferrari that was used in Vacation across the country.

His National Lampoon writing was a very bad influence on me in college.

Reaction Score
He propelled the Atlantic through its better years, in my opinion. Brilliant dude

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

I read 4 or 5 of his books, some of the most enjoyable reading I’ve done. First one I read was All The Trouble In The World, then Parliament of Whores, CEO of the Sofa, and so on. once started I couldn’t put them down.

He’ll be missed, just a great observer and communicator of our human voyage. The other superb writer with similar insight that died far too soon was Christopher Hitchens.

Reaction Score
I read 4 or 5 of his books, some of the most enjoyable reading I’ve done. First one I read was All The Trouble In The World, then Parliament of Whores, CEO of the Sofa, and so on. once started I couldn’t put them down.

He’ll be missed, just a great observer and communicator of our human voyage. The other superb writer with similar insight that died far too soon was Christopher Hitchens.
Hitch was also great.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great writer, great wit, great libertarian who could not probably publish most of his 70's and 80's articles today because he would most likely have placed a price on his head by a certain group of folks.
He didn't care who he offended but he definitely had a target yet veiled it so well that his writings could be interpreted by two people in two different directions. In college in the mid 70's one of my humanities professors would have us read some of his Lampoon stuff - it was wild
I became disappointed in him in the 90's and 2000's as he took a decidedly turn in philosophy and became arrogant and quite frankly; wrong about so many things.
He was a gifted writer

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom