Rip on this year's team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rip on this year's team

Reaction Score
I love how he says “we still have 2 games to play” Once a Husky always a Husky!

Reaction Score
Rip is a great internivew. He still looks great too. Looks young enough to still be playing in the league.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
They absolutely cut the nets down at the regional. I have a piece.

We were psyched to be in the Final 4. That was the monkey off JC's back.

Great interview.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What Hawkins is doing now is a vision of what Rip likely would have been if he came through college 20 years later. Amazing that he was taught a lot of this by Rip himself.
And I like the way Rip said he was passing on knowledge he got from Ray. Hawk may be able to match Rip's ring but he won't be able to match Rip's mark of scoring 20 in all 6 games. I hope he gets a couple of games closer, though.

Reaction Score
My favorite Husky ever and the best Husky ever IMO.
Certainly the player that had the best combination of individual accolades and team success.

Two time BEPOY
Two BE Regular Season Titles
Two BET Titles
1 Second Team AA
1 First Team AA
NCAA Tournament MOP
1 iconic NCAAT shot
1 E8
1 Championship

The team missed the tournament once (as opposed to Ray's career), but they wouldn't have if it weren't for the BS that led to Moore and King being suspended (11-3 at the time).

Reaction Score
Certainly the player that had the best combination of individual accolades and team success.

Two time BEPOY
Two BE Regular Season Titles
Two BET Titles
1 Second Team AA
1 First Team AA
NCAA Tournament MOP
1 iconic NCAAT shot
1 E8
1 Championship

The team missed the tournament once (as opposed to Ray's career), but they wouldn't have if it weren't for the BS that led to Moore and King being suspended (11-3 at the time).
It's a pretty compelling argument. One of the best and most accomplished. He maybe doesn't get mentioned as much because he's not super flashy but he was just a consistent winner and walking bucket. If he is not the best, and he may be, he's on the shortlist of top 5. Great college and pro player.

Reaction Score
It's a pretty compelling argument. One of the best and most accomplished. He maybe doesn't get mentioned as much because he's not super flashy but he was just a consistent winner and walking bucket. If he is not the best, and he may be, he's on the shortlist of top 5. Great college and pro player.
The debate for the top spot is Ray-Rip-Okafor. Kemba and Donyell are on the list for greatest individual season (probably 1-2 in that order), but that initial trio did it for at least 2 years. Shabazz is lurking in the conversation as well.

Reaction Score
Rip's the best ,man. Coming to the show, giving it up to this team, it doesn't get any better. I'm not comparing players here; I'm just sayin, making this happen here, is one of a kind. It's inspiring.

Reaction Score
The debate for the top spot is Ray-Rip-Okafor. Kemba and Donyell are on the list for greatest individual season (probably 1-2 in that order), but that initial trio did it for at least 2 years. Shabazz is lurking in the conversation as well.
Same list. I might swap Bazz and Donyell but that's splitting hairs. Donyell was amazing and his last year was epic. With that said, Bazz has 2 rings and was clutch as heck. That's gotta count for something. Donyell had some post season disappointments(Florida), as did Ray but Ray is so iconic it's impossible to leave him off. Donyell is in there if the criteria is best season or prospect for sure though.

Reaction Score
Same list. I might swap Bazz and Donyell but that's splitting hairs. Donyell was amazing and his last year was epic. With that said, Bazz has 2 rings and was clutch as heck. That's gotta count for something. Donyell had some post season disappointments(Florida), as did Ray but Ray is so iconic it's impossible to leave him off. Donyell is in there if the criteria is best season or prospect for sure though.
Ray's post-season disappointments weren't entirely on him, though. He had 22 points against Mississippi State on some lower than normal shooting but 4 for 10 from 3, and his performance against UCLA is in conversation with Caron for best performance in a loss for UConn ever. Doron—and the injury to Moore—is why they fell short against MSU.

Donyell, on the other hand...well, that was absolutely on him.

Reaction Score
Ray's post-season disappointments weren't entirely on him, though. He had 22 points against Mississippi State on some lower than normal shooting but 4 for 10 from 3, and his performance against UCLA is in conversation with Caron for best performance in a loss for UConn ever. Doron—and the injury to Moore—is why they fell short against MSU.

Donyell, on the other hand...well, that was absolutely on him.
Exactly right and I was gonna qualify that because I meant team disappoinments more than individual success. Shoukd hace specified that. Ray deserves better!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think Jordan’s work with Rip this summer completely changed his game. I am surprised Rip isn’t either coaching or TV analysis - he is good at both
He could be a shooting coach on virtually any team... NCAA or NBA.

Reaction Score
Man, I am 67 years old and I would run through a wall for that guy.

Funny story about RIP. About a week after winning the 1999 championship he was doing a promo at a phone store in Manchester. Thinking it would be mobbed I get there about 15 minutes early. Nobody else showed up for about 20 minutes, it was just RIP and me. He was great, we talked and talked. I mentioned what a great job the referees did vs Duke, especially Tim Higgins who did lots of our games. He asked me which ref was that! I couldn't believe I knew the refs by name better than he did. Makes me think the players don't really care who the refs are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ray's post-season disappointments weren't entirely on him, though.
Disagree. He looked like he was playing on ritalin that game. Where was the Ray that played the in the 2nd weekend the year before? I think Ray just wasn't a wartime consiglere. Look at the teams where was supposed the be the man. Disappointing. Look where he was just an integral piece, two rings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom