RIP Mike Nesmith | The Boneyard

RIP Mike Nesmith

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RIP to Mike Nesmth. The Monkees were really a critical part of my early youth. I think we watched them every day (along with Hogan's Heroes) or more than once a day. They also, despite being a band created for a TV show, put out some really great tunes. Mike was certainly the most musically gifted of the group, although Davy could obviously sing. Mickey wasn't a musician at all. Peter was a musician as well, and his dad was an econ professor at UConn, giving the Monkees a clear UConn connection.

Mike was the band member most frustrated by the limits put on the band and their obviously manufactured image. He had a successful career producing music, and even the movie Repo Man. All in all, he always struck me as a really cool guy.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way as you. Peter must have joined the band later because he wasn’t on my older brothers first album. Nesmith actually went on to also have a solo career.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I feel the same way as you. Peter must have joined the band later because he wasn’t on my older brothers first album. Nesmith actually went on to also have a solo career.
Tork was the first to leave and only appeared on one track on their seventh album. He was definitely on the first six.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how many on this board even know who he was? Hell of a career. The Monkees were "invented" to star in a TV show about a rock band. They charted numerous hits. The show was a hit. Mike was the guitar player. (His mother made millions by inventing White Out. How many remember White Out?) After the Monkees. Mike was a video music pioneer. And he played a key role in getting a cult movie hit called "Repo Man" (starring a young Emilo Estevez) produced.

While the Monkees were controversial as a fake band, the music is upbeat, fun and was written by a plethora of some of the best composers of the era. Mike is the one with the wool hat.

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember. First kisses, a sweaty hand on that adolescent breast in junior high - Monkeys playing ing the background. Daydream believers all of us.

The manufactured band had actors and musicians. My understanding was that Mike Nesmith fit solidly into the latter group and was a respected singer songwriter.

(also repo man was a classic)

Reaction Score
I believe he wrote a song for Linda Ronstadt. Only Micky Dolanz is left

Reaction Score

The Monkees did put out some very good music for their time. Regardless of the show.
RIP M.N.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I used to play a lot of crazy stuff as a kid, but few songs drove my folks insane like repeated playings of "Bob Bobolina" or "I'm Gonna Buy Me a Dog".

Reaction Score
I watched a couple episodes last night. The answering service episode and also the Davy as a boxer episode. I remember that it was just a silly and crazy show but honestly I didn't remember it as being as so off the wall upside down as what I saw last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom