RIP Meat Loaf | The Boneyard

RIP Meat Loaf

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
RIP Meat.

Somewhere in the archives of the CDC exists a short article regarding a music poll the editors did on "Best Album of 1977". In the article, the editors wrote that the poll was obviously fixed because some weird artist they'd never heard of won over records like Rumors and Running On Empty. At the time, you could not buy BOOH at the campus record store. They didn't carry it.

At the time, the record was a nothingburger in the US, despite success in Canada, UK, and Australia. It had been around for several months and the folks at Epic Records had all but given up on it.

But I'd bought BOOH while home in Stamford after hearing it on WNEW-FM, mostly due to Paradise and Phil Rizzuto. I brought it to Crandall C and played it enough to get everyone interested in stuffing the ballot box. Within a couple of weeks after the CDC article it was among the top selling albums on campus.

And that is how I helped Meat Loaf become the star he is :D

Funny aside... while we thought we were unique in stuffing the ballot box, some other dorm had a similar idea and managed to get Barbra Streisand's "Superman" album into the top 5.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
But I'd bought BOOH while home in Stamford after hearing it on WNEW-FM, mostly due to Paradise and Phil Rizzuto. I brought it to Crandall C and played it enough to get everyone interested in stuffing the ballot box. Within a couple of weeks after the CDC article it was among the top selling albums on campus.

And that is how I helped Meat Loaf become the star he is :D
People forget Meatloaf lived in Stamford for quite a while, and despite not having a son, coached a team in the North Stamford Little League. RIP Marvin.

Reaction Score
On my resume under hobbies I list:
Meatloaf (the singer) and Squash (the sport)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RIP to an absolute legend. From Broadway to the movies and of course the great albums and songs. What a spectacular voice and performer. His voice was just so big, so full with huge range. Unforgettable songs that helped define my youth.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've never met anyone who didn't like Meat Loaf. Or meatloaf, for that matter.
My wife is mostly ambivalent about Meat Loaf the artist, but she doesn't like meatloaf the food. Which is surprising because she's the one in this household who loves all the old school Betty Crocker cookbook stuff, preferring roasts and classic "meat and two sides" meals to the plethora of ethnic stuff I usually cook up.

One of my favorite food quotes is from Craig Claiborne: "If meatloaf isn't the food of the gods, then I pity the gods."

With that thought in mind, if Meat Loaf ate meatloaf, would that be considered cannibalism?

Reaction Score
Meatloaf.was from Dallas although he was not at the site of the JFK assassination he ended up at the hospital where JFK was taken and saw the Limo parked outside., as he believes he gave some sort of government agent a ride there. What the guy was doing on foot he never understood and was afraid to ask he was a teenager and the city was on edge. That’s a whole other dimension of knowing where you were. There was press and camera’s there and his mother didn’t believe his story until she saw him on the local news that night.
An original who saw himself more of an actor that sang rather than a singer who became an actor. He brought that to his performances.
For all of us who made love by the dashboard lights, you too girls, you know who you are.
RiP Meat

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
For whoever cares....

Meatloaf starred in a very funny movie, Roadie.

Maybe you can pull it up on Netflix? IDK.

He lived in Stamford for many years, not that that matters much. So that automatically makes him a Huskies fan, right?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Meatloaf.was from Dallas although he was not at the site of the JFK assassination he ended up at the hospital where JFK was taken and saw the Limo parked outside., as he believes he gave some sort of government agent a ride there. What the guy was doing on foot he never understood and was afraid to ask he was a teenager and the city was on edge. That’s a whole other dimension of knowing where you were. There was press and camera’s there and his mother didn’t believe his story until she saw him on the local news that night.
An original who saw himself more of an actor that sang rather than a singer who became an actor. He brought that to his performances.
For all of us who made love by the dashboard lights, you too girls, you know who you are.
RiP Meat
Wrote on a different board:

Just awful news.

"Paradise" was the bellcow of the first "Bat" album but the entire work is a tour de force. There was not a bad song on the record.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He can see Paradise now!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I first heard of Meat Loaf when it was named the #1 album of the year by the Hartford Advocate. It certainly wasn't getting any airplay yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom