RIP Maury Wills... | The Boneyard

RIP Maury Wills...

Reaction Score

Maury Wills, base-stealing shortstop dies at 89​

Maury Wills, who helped the Los Angeles Dodgers win three World Series titles with his base-stealing prowess, has died.

Reaction Score
One of the mysteries of baseball. Maury Wills is not in the Baseball HOF :(
Not sure why. He's 15th in single season steals and 20th in career. Perhaps if Rickey hadn't surpassed his single season total. But then a number of players have passed him on each list. Wills was a nice player but he didn't put up HOF numbers in the big production categories. Not a HOFer in my eyes.

Reaction Score
One of the mysteries of baseball. Maury Wills is not in the Baseball HOF :(
Not sure why. He's 15th in single season steals and 20th in career. Perhaps if Rickey hadn't surpassed his single season total. But then a number of players have passed him on each list. Wills was a nice player but he didn't put up HOF numbers in the big production categories. Not a HOFer in my eyes.

To me, Maury Wills has always been a border line Hall of Fame candidate. It wouldn't bother me either way if he gets in or does not. The argument for him would be stronger if he had a better on base percentage which would have made him a more effective lead off hitter, which of course would also have led to even more stolen bases.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m heart broken. One of my childhood sports heros is gone. Wills was a main stay at shortstop for years. I still rember the Dodger lineup from 1964. Walter Alston (manager) seldom changed his lineup that year. Wiils, Jim Gilliam, Willie Davis (Vin Scully nicked named him the “3 dog” in referrence to his speed and uniform number), Tommy Davis, Ron Fairley, Frank Howard, Johnny Roseboro and John Werhas. That was a great time to be a baseball/Dodger fan. Dodger Stadium (opened in 1962) was only 2 years old. Now it’s the 3rd oldest in MLB behind Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wills didn't have the benefit of specially designed sliding pants or padding. Thus by August, his legs were just one giant bruise. It's said he'd have stole more than 104 in 1962 if not for taking days off due to bruising. He missed a large chunk of 1963 due to leg injuries. And again in 1964, he probably would've broken 100 again if he'd had today's equipment and training facilities.

But not a HoFer.

Reaction Score
Wills didn't have the benefit of specially designed sliding pants or padding. Thus by August, his legs were just one giant bruise. It's said he'd have stole more than 104 in 1962 if not for taking days off due to bruising. He missed a large chunk of 1963 due to leg injuries. And again in 1964, he probably would've broken 100 again if he'd had today's equipment and training facilities.

But not a HoFer.
Sliding pads have been around at least since I was playing Little League baseball in 57-59. I don't how much earlier they existed. Of course I'm sure they were nowhere near what is available today. They were mostly designed to prevent strawberries on the hip.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sliding pads have been around at least since I was playing Little League baseball in 57-59. I don't how much earlier they existed. Of course I'm sure they were nowhere near what is available today. They were mostly designed to prevent strawberries on the hip.
That's when I got my first strawberry playing little league......1958. After that, Mom took the pads out of an old pair of my brother's football pants and custom made a pair of padded shorts for me that I wore under my uniform.
No more strawberries. Thanks mom. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom